Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Old guy

Default Re: Charging expats for quarantine

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    I don't agree with it. Being made to stay for 2 weeks, not their choice, it's the paranoia over this fairly harmless virus, so no. Govts idea, govt funded.
    Keep to population terrified and you can get them to do whatever you like all the while pretending to be kind and caring.

My daughter has lived in Australia for some 20 years now. Had high paying jobs, a marriage, a disastrous divorce and has not a lot of money now. For her to come home to live I certainly wouldn't expect the taxpayer to fund 2 weeks quarantine. If she couldn't pay, then I would.

Ken

VoidMaster

The virus is taking off all over the world, the last thing we need is NZ'ers coming from God knows where and turning up with the virus and then giving it to the people here who so far are now safe unlike the rest of the world that couldn't knuckle down and take the hard measures to bring Covid under control.

The people overseas had ample warning that the borders would be closed and should have already been back here, before the virus really got going overseas months ago, if they wanted to come back.

I say the borders should be closed permanently to all until a vaccine is available.

It is now becoming obvious that the rest of the world chose the wrong path or effectively did nothing at all to contain the virus and are now going to pay the price big time and that is why all the outliers are heading home having had this realization and thereby putting us in peril.

"Herd Immunity" what a joke, no sign of it yet and so many have died unnecessary deaths.
    Last edited by zqwerty; 21-07-2020 at 11:35 AM.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by baabits View Post
    I don't think being locked in a hotel room for 2 weeks is to the benefit of anyone returning.
    its comments like that show you do not understand the situation.

The people benefiting by in large are the four or five million in NZ.
    which INCLUDES the person coming in.

I don't see the numbers coming in being much of an issue either. They're only using 32 hotels and since this initiative began they've processed 29,000+ people. It's not like the number will be permanently increasing- it'll go up for a while, then level off, then come down. The only people coming back at the moment are citizens and permanent residents.
    the amount coming back in is already more than what they can handle. which is why they are controlling who and when people come in.

Returning home is one's right,
    and thats why jacidida didn't shut the borders and why we got covid spreading. "ones right" forced us into a lockdown which has had a high price on a lot of people. all because of "ones right" to come home.
    individuals screwing over the entire country because "its my right".

as far as cost goes, i suspect most that need to come home have already done so.
    both national and labor have mentioned exemptions for paying for the quarantine if they cannot do so.
    i suspect the goal here is to put the brakes on the ones that don't really need to come back. keep the amount of people coming back to a level they can handle.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Comment (22) best so far!!.

As the city with the most deaths to this virus, I'm still awaiting the investigation outcome of how this f**king thing got into that village. Rosewood Village is just up the road from us!.

lurking.

Quote Originally Posted by kenj View Post
    My daughter ......, a disastrous divorce and has not a lot of money now. If she couldn't pay, then I would.

Ken
    How nice that you can.
    Some don't have parents with money.
    Ex-pctek

Interesting how some folks reasoning goes......https://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/article.aspx?id=315507

Ken
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

Quote Originally Posted by allblack View Post
    Yes you bloody do if it keeps everyone else safe.
    What does forcing that person to pay for it have to do with keeping everyone else safe?

Quote Originally Posted by kenj View Post
    My daughter has lived in Australia for some 20 years now. Had high paying jobs, a marriage, a disastrous divorce and has not a lot of money now. For her to come home to live I certainly wouldn't expect the taxpayer to fund 2 weeks quarantine. If she couldn't pay, then I would.

Ken
    Great, so make it a voluntary thing. Just don't force it on people.

Quote Originally Posted by tweak'e View Post
    its comments like that show you do not understand the situation.

which INCLUDES the person coming in.

the amount coming back in is already more than what they can handle. which is why they are controlling who and when people come in.

and thats why jacidida didn't shut the borders and why we got covid spreading. "ones right" forced us into a lockdown which has had a high price on a lot of people. all because of "ones right" to come home.
    individuals screwing over the entire country because "its my right".

as far as cost goes, i suspect most that need to come home have already done so.
    both national and labor have mentioned exemptions for paying for the quarantine if they cannot do so.
    i suspect the goal here is to put the brakes on the ones that don't really need to come back. keep the amount of people coming back to a level they can handle.
    I understand the situation perfectly tweak'e, not sure who designated you covid know it all but I've told you a multiple times that I support forced quarantine. Just not forcing the people who are being quarantined to pay for it.

Including the person coming in, yes, who after they're in, will be paying back in to the system like normal.

If the government can't get their **** together and organize around it it doesn't mean that they go for a cash grab like this. Making it difficult for people to return home on purpose on top of all the difficulty that is already in place is a disgusting move. A right is a right for a reason, it's something that's supposed to be undeniable to you. That's the end of it.

I don't think there's any way that we'll agree so it might be better just to agree to disagree.