Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Default Re: Charging expats for quarantine

Quote Originally Posted by tweak'e View Post
    you can't quarantine people at home, because they don't obey the quarantine rules. which is why aussie is having such a bad time at the moment.
    here its actually worse because we have no other safe guards. we would turn into the usa very very quickly.
    we did all the "home quarantine" stuff very early on and it failed horribly. you simply cannot trust people to do the right thing.

and yes baabits your in the worse impacted country at the moment for exactly those reasons and your reasoning shows it. your lack of understanding is why usa is so screwed.
    What the hell are you talking about?

The only reason I support quarantining at home is because the government wants to force people to pay for a random 3 4 or 5 star stay at a hotel to manage infections. I’m not saying it’s wrong not to allow at home quarantine, I’m saying that if you force people to pay out to stay locked in a hotel room for a few weeks that’s when they should be allowed to stay at home if they can make the proper arrangements. Or at least allow them to stay somewhere cheaper.

It’s simple. If you want the best quarantining system, don’t force people who are back out of no fault of their own to pay for it. They have every right to come home and shouldn’t be slapped with what is effectively a $3000 entry fee or go to prison.

if you knew what your talking about you would know not to even suggest quarantining at home. its such a ridiculous idea that it will never be done (again).
    if it can be done cheaper like at a military base, thats a different ball game. tho i suspect govt has already looked at that option simply for cost savings.

however quite right kiwi should be able to come home.
    the big question is, are people coming in because they have to or is it convenience.
    people are selling up overseas and moving back because they can, not just because they have to.

the other issue here is the numbers coming in. the amount of infected people will continue to climb and we can only deal with so many.
    already having to slow down the amount of kiwis coming in. as things worsen overseas they will be more pressure for people to come here regardless of their situation.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Quote Originally Posted by tweak'e View Post
    if you knew what your talking about you would know not to even suggest quarantining at home. its such a ridiculous idea that it will never be done (again).
    if it can be done cheaper like at a military base, thats a different ball game. tho i suspect govt has already looked at that option simply for cost savings.

however quite right kiwi should be able to come home.
    the big question is, are people coming in because they have to or is it convenience.
    people are selling up overseas and moving back because they can, not just because they have to.

the other issue here is the numbers coming in. the amount of infected people will continue to climb and we can only deal with so many.
    already having to slow down the amount of kiwis coming in. as things worsen overseas they will be more pressure for people to come here regardless of their situation.
    You're not listening- I have no problem with banning quarantining at home. The only reason why I suggested it is because the government is suggesting that people should be forced to pay for a bloody hotel stay that is essentially a make shift holding zone. If people aren't being forced to pay for it then go ahead and do what you have to do, but if you're suggesting asking citizens to pony up for a forced stay in a hotel then that's wrong and staying at home should be an option. I.e. if quarantining people at home isn't an option and you want to force them to stay in a hotel, they shouldn't have to pay for it.

Convenience has nothing to do with returning home. It's your right, your basic right, to be allowed to come home at any time, regardless of the reason. People don't just upend their entire lives out of convenience. Where a lot have settled, they have long term jobs, families, community ties etc and suggesting that they're only coming home because it's convenient doesn't seem fair at all. Besides that, it's not our place to question people's motivations for returning. If it's a right that they have then that's their right and if they choose to exercise it then that's the end of it. If the government wants to say that before you enter you have to go through our quarantine process then fine, but to say you have to stay at this random hotel locked in your room for two weeks and give us $3000 for the privilege of being allowed back in to your home without going to prison is completely off the rocker.

Personally happy to stay put but three other Kiwis, two of which have families in my local area, have been forced to leave due to their visa renewals being denied.

I don't see the numbers coming in being much of an issue either. They're only using 32 hotels and since this initiative began they've processed 29,000+ people. It's not like the number will be permanently increasing- it'll go up for a while, then level off, then come down. The only people coming back at the moment are citizens and permanent residents.
    Last edited by baabits; 20-07-2020 at 10:14 PM.

VoidMaster

It's the rights of the many over the rights of the few. Sick people coming back to NZ threaten the well-being of us all.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post
    It's the rights of the many over the rights of the few. Sick people coming back to NZ threaten the well-being of us all.
    No one is arguing about having to go through quarantine at all.

Nobody has the right to infect those who have stayed put and done the requisite things to stay infection free.
    Prove you are free of infection, pay the fee, or just stay away - pretty simple, but those who don't agree would obviously have the right to a peaceful euthanasia at taxpayer expense.
    Any complainants to the above options will win a crowded offshore unsegregated 6 month isolation (at their own expense).
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by R2x1 View Post
    Nobody has the right to infect those who have stayed put and done the requisite things to stay infection free.
    Prove you are free of infection, pay the fee, or just stay away - pretty simple, but those who don't agree would obviously have the right to a peaceful euthanasia at taxpayer expense.
    Any complainants to the above options will win a crowded offshore unsegregated 6 month isolation (at their own expense).
    I don't have an issue with any of that except for the pay the fee part. To be honest, I would happily pay the fee if it were voluntarily, but this is in principle.

Returning home is one's right, and telling them they need to pay for a forced hotel room is wrong. I don't think being locked in a hotel room for 2 weeks is to the benefit of anyone returning. You can't work, you can't go out, you have no freedom, but can accept it because these are extraordinary circumstances. The benefit that they get is that they can be at home, where once again they'll be paying into the system working or not.

The people benefiting by in large are the four or five million in NZ. The people being quarantined are doing so to the benefit of public health. Putting them through that forcibly is one thing, asking them to pay for that is another.

Quote Originally Posted by baabits View Post
    but you don’t lock people in a room for two weeks who have had to upend their lives due a situation outside of their control and then force them to pay the equivalent of an average month’s salary for it.
    Yes you bloody do if it keeps everyone else safe.

Quote Originally Posted by allblack View Post
    Yes you bloody do if it keeps everyone else safe.
    +1
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

I don't agree with it. Being made to stay for 2 weeks, not their choice, it's the paranoia over this fairly harmless virus, so no. Govts idea, govt funded.
    Ex-pctek