Page 1 of 10 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 100
  1. #1
    Senior Member baabits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    too far away
    Posts
    230

    Default Charging expats for quarantine

    Is this just a political football or are people seriously supportive of this? Maybe Iím the one with the outlying opinion but it sounds ridiculous.

    https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...ional-proposed

  2. #2
    Senior Member paulw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Auckland / Tauranga
    Posts
    4,042

    Default Re: Charging expats for quarantine

    If an "xpat" has lived and worked overseas paying tax there for 25 months or longer then as far as I'm concerned they should pay for their own quarantine costs not the NZ taxpayer.
    Regards,

    Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

  3. #3
    Senior Member baabits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    too far away
    Posts
    230

    Default Re: Charging expats for quarantine

    Why? A lot of them are losing jobs and going home and they don’t really have too much of a choice in the matter.

    You wanna slap them in the face when they return home with a $3000+ hotel stay that they have to pay for or go to prison?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Charging expats for quarantine

    Why can't they self isolate at home? Or at least quarantine at a cheaper place than a hotel.

    But if they must isolate in a hotel, it must be because they had no choice but to come home (such as losing their job) but if they come home just because they want to then they should have to pay.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

    Us husbands are a sorry lot.

  5. #5
    Senior Member baabits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    too far away
    Posts
    230

    Default Re: Charging expats for quarantine

    Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    Why can't they self isolate at home? Or at least quarantine at a cheaper place than a hotel.

    But if they must isolate in a hotel, it must be because they had no choice but to come home (such as losing their job) but if they come home just because they want to then they should have to pay.
    I’m not sure why they can’t offer something more basic than a hotel, iirc they were happily using motorhomes at army bases originally. And I agree, let people quarantine at home. Most will probably take that over going to a hotel.

    It just feels like the biggest slap in the face to go home, to your home, and be told that you have to pay so much money just to go in because the government wants to quarantine everyone in hotels. It was bad enough that they blocked flight bookings for the past three weeks, but at least that’s understandable.

  6. #6
    tweakedgeek tweak'e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    winterlessnorth (well almost)
    Posts
    4,832

    Default Re: Charging expats for quarantine

    Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    Why can't they self isolate at home? Or at least quarantine at a cheaper place than a hotel.

    .
    Quote Originally Posted by baabits View Post
    And I agree, let people quarantine at home.
    what an absolute moronic idea that failed the first time they did it, that forced us into lockdown. and you guys want to try it again?

    after all this time you guys still do not understand quarantine and what happens if it fails.
    if you guys don't understand then you can bet the people coming in do not understand and will promptly infect all of us and then say "opps, but i didn't know".

    seriously you guys need to wake the hell up and understand whats happening in the world.
    Tweak it till it breaks

  7. #7
    Senior Member baabits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    too far away
    Posts
    230

    Default Re: Charging expats for quarantine

    Quote Originally Posted by tweak'e View Post
    what an absolute moronic idea that failed the first time they did it, that forced us into lockdown. and you guys want to try it again?

    after all this time you guys still do not understand quarantine and what happens if it fails.
    if you guys don't understand then you can bet the people coming in do not understand and will promptly infect all of us and then say "opps, but i didn't know".

    seriously you guys need to wake the hell up and understand whats happening in the world.
    I’m fine with quarantining people in hotels, just not forcing them to pay for it. If they have to pay for it because it’s such a financial issue, then they should be allowed to quarantine at home.

    What the hell does it mean that you think people like us need to “wake up”? I’m in the country that has the highest rate of infection in the world, I think I have a far clearer picture of how this virus impacts communities than most. It doesn’t mean I lose my humanity and support forcing people to pony up cash that they probably can’t afford to because of a situation that is out of their own control. Grow up.

  8. #8
    tweakedgeek tweak'e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    winterlessnorth (well almost)
    Posts
    4,832

    Default Re: Charging expats for quarantine

    Quote Originally Posted by baabits View Post
    Is this just a political football or are people seriously supportive of this? Maybe Iím the one with the outlying opinion but it sounds ridiculous.

    https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...ional-proposed
    its realistic.
    by now most that where tourists and got stranded overseas are back. those people should all have a free trip back and quarantine.

    the problem they are running into is kiwi's who actually live aboard are migrating back to a safe haven. once covid is over most of these people will be going back overseas.
    we simply cannot afford to keep paying for them. especially as i suspect there is a few who are kiwis flying out and returning.
    granted some people who have lost jobs overseas cannot get benefits etc. but many that can are choosing to come back anyway, and thats simply to avoid the restrictions etc that are going on in that country.
    a lot of people at the moment are coming in simply to be able to wait out covid in a nicer country.
    Tweak it till it breaks

  9. #9
    tweakedgeek tweak'e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    winterlessnorth (well almost)
    Posts
    4,832

    Default Re: Charging expats for quarantine

    Quote Originally Posted by baabits View Post
    I’m fine with quarantining people in hotels, just not forcing them to pay for it. If they have to pay for it because it’s such a financial issue, then they should be allowed to quarantine at home.

    What the hell does it mean that you think people like us need to “wake up”? I’m in the country that has the highest rate of infection in the world, I think I have a far clearer picture of how this virus impacts communities than most. It doesn’t mean I lose my humanity and support forcing people to pony up cash that they probably can’t afford to because of a situation that is out of their own control. Grow up.
    you can't quarantine people at home, because they don't obey the quarantine rules. which is why aussie is having such a bad time at the moment.
    here its actually worse because we have no other safe guards. we would turn into the usa very very quickly.
    we did all the "home quarantine" stuff very early on and it failed horribly. you simply cannot trust people to do the right thing.

    and yes baabits your in the worse impacted country at the moment for exactly those reasons and your reasoning shows it. your lack of understanding is why usa is so screwed.
    Tweak it till it breaks

  10. #10
    Senior Member baabits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    too far away
    Posts
    230

    Default Re: Charging expats for quarantine

    Quote Originally Posted by tweak'e View Post
    its realistic.
    by now most that where tourists and got stranded overseas are back. those people should all have a free trip back and quarantine.

    the problem they are running into is kiwi's who actually live aboard are migrating back to a safe haven. once covid is over most of these people will be going back overseas.
    we simply cannot afford to keep paying for them. especially as i suspect there is a few who are kiwis flying out and returning.
    granted some people who have lost jobs overseas cannot get benefits etc. but many that can are choosing to come back anyway, and thats simply to avoid the restrictions etc that are going on in that country.
    a lot of people at the moment are coming in simply to be able to wait out covid in a nicer country.
    I disagree. Your home is your home. You haven’t done anything wrong by choosing to live overseas, and no matter where you live, you should always be able to return home unimpeded. If NZ wants to force people to quarantine in hotels, fine, but you don’t lock people in a room for two weeks who have had to upend their lives due a situation outside of their control and then force them to pay the equivalent of an average month’s salary for it.

    Also, that’s a hell of a claim to make without any stats or evidence. While we’re pulling assumptions from thin air, it’s fair to add that most of the people who probably would do what you claim most will do are already back through the door. They were the ones who had the resources to drop everything and return home in a second. A lot of expats still overseas are the ones who decided to stay and wear it out, and they’re probably forced home through measures beyond their control (visas, job loss, immigration restriction, etc.)

    “We simply cannot afford to keep paying for them” is silly, even if everyone returned home the quarantine costs would be $500 million, which is 1% of the CoVID budget and recovery fund. I don’t think a lot of people would upend their entire lives and families simply to be able to wait out covid in a nicer country. You don’t take steps like leaving everything you’ve worked to build over the years behind just for convenience. A lot of people are doing it because there’s probably no other choice.

Similar Threads

  1. NOD32 Quarantine Folder
    By ktee in forum PressF1
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-07-2011, 06:21 PM
  2. MWB Quarantine report, what do these mean?
    By Billy T in forum PressF1
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28-06-2011, 10:33 PM
  3. What to do with Quarantine files
    By ldnz in forum PressF1
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 13-08-2010, 03:25 PM
  4. recycle bin is a quarantine?
    By in forum PressF1
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-06-2002, 06:01 PM
  5. Virus Quarantine
    By in forum PressF1
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-10-2001, 08:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •