Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Default Want to know how to access the File menu

    I have a new laptop and want to import a pst file to Outlook but there is no File menu. I'm assuming that you can access the File menu using the keyboard but do not know how to do that.

    Your help is appreciated.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

    Us husbands are a sorry lot.

  2. #2
    Senior Member 1101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,743

    Default Re: Want to know how to access the File menu

    What version of Outlook.
    They are slightly different

    Outlook Online (via Edge/chrome)
    Outlook 365 (installed on the PC)
    Outlook 2019, 2106, 2013, 2010 ?

    Outlook Online doesnt have the 'file' menu . It has less(zero?) options for importing & exporting old email

  3. #3

    Default Re: Want to know how to access the File menu

    This is a new laptop bought about 6 weeks ago running W10. I don't know how to tell which version of Outlook I have. I am using Chrome but am happy to use another browser if it makes any difference.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

    Us husbands are a sorry lot.

  4. #4
    Senior Member 1101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,743

    Default Re: Want to know how to access the File menu

    Did you install MS Office on this new PC/laptop ?

    Unfortunately , MS used the name 'Outlook' for several different products , it can make it confusing (ambiguous)

    Do you access 'Outlook' via a browser , ie use IE, Edge or chrome to access Outlook ?

  5. #5
    Senior Member 1101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,743

    Default Re: Want to know how to access the File menu

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...8-ded54b3440ac

    Does your Outlook look like the pics in that link (I'm guessing not)

  6. #6
    Senior Member Paul.Cov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,712

    Default Re: Want to know how to access the File menu

    I never touch Outlook, but maybe you could try the old, traditional shortcut keys that most apps use... Alt F O (Alt, File, Open) and see if any dialog pops up.

    Another thought... may drag and drop your .pst file onto Outlook.

  7. #7
    Computer Technician wainuitech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    27,594

    Default Re: Want to know how to access the File menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    This is a new laptop bought about 6 weeks ago running W10. I don't know how to tell which version of Outlook I have. I am using Chrome but am happy to use another browser if it makes any difference.
    That kind of indicates you are using the online version, different to the actual installed program in Office 365. Office 365 comes pre-installed on computers but its not free, you need to either buy it outright or as MS want start a Subscription. If using a Browser "I am using Chrome" then its the online version.

    If you dont want the paid Version of Office 365 and the actual Outlook Program, you can use a Free Email program called EMClient, install using the same email details, make sure using IMAP ( by default it does) and import the .pst file, it will then sync with the online version and upload your mail. Depending on how much mail / folders you have it may take a while.

    https://www.bitrecover.com/blog/outlook-to-em-client/
    Last edited by wainuitech; 25-07-2020 at 09:24 AM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

  8. #8
    Old guy
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,556

    Default Re: Want to know how to access the File menu

    I do not see what I am missing here. I am using the inbuilt Mail app on both my Win 10 machines. I have both my Gmail and Outlook email accounts set up in that app and it all works perfectly with both accounts. I have no requirement to use "Outlook" as a mail client at all. I do sometimes access Gmail via the Chrome browser which also works just as it should.

  9. #9
    Computer Technician wainuitech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    27,594

    Default Re: Want to know how to access the File menu

    Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    I do not see what I am missing here. I am using the inbuilt Mail app on both my Win 10 machines. I have both my Gmail and Outlook email accounts set up in that app and it all works perfectly with both accounts. I have no requirement to use "Outlook" as a mail client at all. I do sometimes access Gmail via the Chrome browser which also works just as it should.
    The inbuilt Mail App is not the same as Outlook the program.
    MS really confused things by calling basically 3 Programs all the Same thing.

    Outlook =

    1. The Inbuilt mail App
    2. The Web Based Via Browser
    3. The Actual Program incorporated in Office 365

    The Outlook In Office 365, has a totally different interface and options as to what you can do.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

  10. #10
    Old guy
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,556

    Default Re: Want to know how to access the File menu

    Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    The inbuilt Mail App is not the same as Outlook the program.
    MS really confused things by calling basically 3 Programs all the Same thing.

    Outlook =

    1. The Inbuilt mail App
    2. The Web Based Via Browser
    3. The Actual Program incorporated in Office 365

    The Outlook In Office 365, has a totally different interface and options as to what you can do.
    Thanks for the clear and simple explanation. Maybe you could give MS a few tips on this. I must admit I tend to just go with the first workable solution I come to with anything to do with my computing. It makes life a lot more relaxed.

Similar Threads

  1. IE file menu changes on FTP sites
    By bardin in forum PressF1
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27-02-2004, 03:20 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-11-2003, 08:54 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-06-2002, 11:58 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-06-2002, 11:44 AM
  5. IE 5.5 Can't access toolbar menu
    By in forum PressF1
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-07-2001, 09:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •