Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Extending Wifi

VoidMaster

Default Re: Extending Wifi

That's not the reason, it's for load balancing. There are plenty of houses in Chch with 2 phases connected across different floors the absent phase just goes to another house, a very large house on one phase is harder to balance out.

One of the problems is connecting circuits across the phases and having bulbs blow regularly because 400volts instead of 230. This happens in older houses I've seen it in real life.

May not be done anymore because of this danger.

I'm not talking about different circuit (ring) they are still essentially the same piece of wire, I am talking about different phases in the same installation.
    Last edited by zqwerty; 21-07-2020 at 04:58 PM.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Dont they charge more if you want 3phase ? if you need 400v ? ( 2 phases)
    not that i'm aware of. i would have to ask. tho typically if you want to upgrade to 3 phase they charge you like crazy.
    its all down to how the power co does its load balancing. with single phase alternating houses are on different phases.
    however a few towns they wire the houses with 2 or 3 phase and do the load balancing in the house. eg lights will be on one phase, power outlets on another. stoves often wired for two phase. 3 phase houses are wired a certain way.
    so you can get it where outlets in different part of the house are wired to a different phases. any signal down one has to go all the way to the street transformer and back again (tho transformers screw the signal anyway).

old fellas house gets 60 amp 3 phase in the next town, i get a measly 60 amp single phase. he can go rig up 415v 3 phase motors, welders etc if he wants to.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Good advice from those who know. Thanks all!
    I will get my electrician to connect up an ethernet cable through the outside walls for the same price as the Powerline.

Cable is always better

Keep in mind what you posted in the original post:

I could connect to the PVR by ethernet cable but installation requires holes in two walls (electrician cost $100+) but that does not provide WiFi for Chromecast.
    So if you want to use chromecast, you'll still need to connect some sort of wireless access point to the new cable.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Krad View Post
    I will get my electrician to connect up an ethernet cable through the outside walls ...........
    be careful going through outside walls as this can cause leaks through the cladding.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Where do you live Krad? If you are in North Canterbury I could lend you 2 powerline adapters to try out.