Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extending Wifi

Default Extending Wifi

My router is situated centrally upstairs in a two story house. Fibre WiFi upstairs is fine but not so downstairs in the lounge diagonally 10+ metres from the router. My chromecast does not connect to the WiFi nor does the Personal Video Recorder. I could connect to the PVR by ethernet cable but installation requires holes in two walls (electrician cost $100+) but that does not provide WiFi for Chromecast. I have read the Forum threads on WiFi extenders which I have been researching but it seems that aPowerline with wireless and ethernet socket is the way to go. They cost about $150 at PB Tech. If so what specifications would you recommend? Would this solve my problem or are there other options?

Default Re: Extending Wifi

Powerline is more than likely the best / Easiest way. Wireless extenders can still give bad range.

Been using these Powerline ( as advertised at PBTech - I dont buy from them, I have other wholesalers) https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NET...ne-Kit-with-N3 And they work fine.

Not all Powerlines work 100% sometimes depending on the wiring they can give troubles. At the movement no ones got any Due to Covid. (see delivery dates, at least a month away -- Edited: just looked on dealers site mine says 22nd July eta)

What I have in our lounge as the wireless from the router doesn't quite make it is a Wireless Access point that runs from the router via Cat5 through the ceiling to power one of these ( again using PBT as an example only) https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NAP...nd-AC1350-4508 Then got 100% signal in lounge.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 19-07-2020 at 08:21 PM.

Ive only seen 2 cases of repeaters working. More often they dont help .They really arnt that good.

as above, Ive sold plenty of those TP Link powerline kits . make sure you buy one with built in wifi . I use that one at home, works great . Ive had the occasion sites were it wouldnt work due to mains wiring issues , but usually OK
    They are good but FAR from perfect . may need occasional restart if noisey power lines etc

You can also get add on mesh units for some of the newer ISP's routers (eg Spark)
    Mesh may be a bit hit and miss if not linked via cable

I also have had a good experience with powerline adaptors. DLink from PBTech.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Powerline is more than likely the best / Easiest way. Wireless extenders can still give bad range.

Been using these Powerline ( as advertised at PBTech - I dont buy from them, I have other wholesalers) https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NET...ne-Kit-with-N3 And they work fine.

Not all Powerlines work 100% sometimes depending on the wiring they can give troubles. At the movement no ones got any Due to Covid. (see delivery dates, at least a month away -- Edited: just looked on dealers site mine says 22nd July eta)

What I have in our lounge as the wireless from the router doesn't quite make it is a Wireless Access point that runs from the router via Cat5 through the ceiling to power one of these ( again using PBT as an example only) https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NAP...nd-AC1350-4508 Then got 100% signal in lounge.
    This seems the best option but I don't think the modem and the TV/PVR are on the same electrical circuit. One circuit is for upstairs and the other downstairs. Can I get round that? Otherwise is the only other option running an ethernet cablefrom the modem to the PVR? Thanks again for your help.

With powerline kits, you literally dont know if its going to work untill you try it onsite (it usually works)
    Occasionally some power points dont work for this , but next room does or on powerpoints on other wall do .

Ethernet cable is ALWAYS a better option , if you can run cables.

VoidMaster

Large houses will often have more than one phase running different parts of the house, presumably the units not being on the same phase ie the same run of wiring will cause problems I should think.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post
    Large houses will often have more than one phase running different parts of the house, presumably the units not being on the same phase ie the same run of wiring will cause problems I should think.
    thats usually only in areas where houses are wired up with 3 phase. even big houses are often just single phase.
    i think some of the issues is simply length. if the units are on different circuits then it has to send signal all the way back to the fuse board then back to the other unit. if its on the same circuit the distance will be a lot shorter.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Quote Originally Posted by tweak'e View Post
    thats usually only in areas where houses are wired up with 3 phase. even big houses are often just single phase.
    Dont they charge more if you want 3phase ? if you need 400v ? ( 2 phases)

https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/featu...out-homeplugs/
    so it will work across 2 circuits in the same house . In theory

They are now alot better than they used to be.
    Ive had some issues with the older generation powerline units . Perhaps they got there initial bad reputation from the earlier models .