Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Upgrading Graphics Card

Just a comment about why we ask for specs, you say current PCs seem quite similar but we have no way of knowing how you are judging that or how well you understand the specs.
    Sometimes things that seem quite similar can be very different.

As an example up until just 3 years ago all i5 CPUs were 4 core and the difference from one generation to the next was fairly small, then near the end of 2017 6 core i5 8 series CPUs launched that were better than previous gen i7s overall.
    And most recently the 10 series has added hyperthreading for another performance bump. So if you had an i5 older than the last quarter of 2017 it's significantly slower than a current i5. Same goes for the i7s.

And the need for more than 4 cores for decent fps while gaming is fairly recent and restricted to only a handful of games so far.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by taxboy4 View Post
    Hello, my son's Gaming PC (also our media server) is not coping with some of the newer games.

I was looking at replacing the whole box - say around $2300 models but when i compare the specs of his current PC versus the boxes - the specs all seem quite similar except the graphics card

His current graphics card is a Geforce GTX 1070 - looking at replacing it with a Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER. ($about $869)

The next bit is where i need help please;

1) is it easy to physically swap out the cards (me or someone who is not a noob)?
    2) would changing up the graphics card help boost game performance for a while?

Thanks in advance.
    Aboslutly yes to both questions.
    1) Unplug the cables, unscrew the little screws on the back of the case where are ports from graphic card, press the plastic button at the end of PSI-Expless slot (probably green, if not, doesn't matter anyway) change the card, put the new one and do the opposite.
    2)Defenetly, but depends of all other components, like RAM memory and processor. You may have to replace some of them in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by ClarissaBull View Post
    Aboslutly yes to both questions.
    1) Unplug the cables, unscrew the little screws on the back of the case where are ports from graphic card, press the plastic button at the end of PSI-Expless slot (probably green, if not, doesn't matter anyway) change the card, put the new one and do the opposite.
    2)Defenetly, but depends of all other components, like RAM memory and processor. You may have to replace some of them in a while.
    You contradict yourself, Absolutely Definitely, BUT... Without knowing the systems specs, games played, and resolution, we can not answer 2)

A 1070 will still play all modern games at 1080P just fine with maybe some of the most demanding games needing the settings tweaked a little so if the current machine is using 1080P and struggling it's likely something else, like not enough RAM or a slow CPU. We don't know. If gaming at higher res or wanting high framerates upgrading it might help, but again we don't know.

The OP hasn't replied in a while or answered these questions so we can't offer much help at the moment.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070