Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Modem that can limit upload speeds on the WiFi?

Hey everyone,

I live in the country and work from home on a 12Mbp/s down and 1Mbp/s up adsl connection. As I have no cell reception I use VoIP to talk with clients. I've got kids here for the holidays and they're messing up my connection.

I'm currently with Orcon and in their modem I can limit the WiFi, typically I limit it to 5.5Mbp/s or if I'm a grump I turn it off or limit it to 2Mbp/s so they can at least watch Netflix on low res. I use ethernet to the modem so I'm not affected when limiting the WiFi module. My wife and I also like to play FPS games in the evening and you need decent ping for those. We get about 30ms when nobody is on the network, when we limit to 5.5 and the kids are streaming our ping sits steadily around 50ms which is fine, but as soon as someone send a photo or something it spikes up to 400ms+

The main problem is that even with the WiFi limited, if one of their phones starts backing up to the cloud it completely kills the connection and makes my work difficult - particularly annoying when speaking with clients on VoIP - because I can't specifically limit the upload speed as the modem settings only allow to limit up/down as low as 1Mbp/s and that's the full upstream speed available.

I'm wondering if there is a modem out there I can purchase where I can specifically limit the upload speeds on the WiFi module so that even if they start video chatting or backing up to the cloud on the WiFi network, it doesn't completely kill my connection, yet it will allows them a half decent downstream limit.

Ideally I would like to limit the download speed on the WiFi network to about 5Mbp/s and limit the upload to about 0.5Mbp/s, that way they can still share half of the downstream on WiFi and half of the upstream. I've tried QoS prioritisation but it doesn't work well at all, I'd really just like to limit the WiFi module as I'm always hardwired, including my VoIP phone. None of the kids are connected via ethernet.

Anyone know of a modem that can do this? I'd like to stay with Orcon but switching providers is an option if it means I can run this setup.

Cheers

Default Re: Modem that can limit upload speeds on the WiFi?

Im sure the unifi Wifi Access Points can do this , you'll need to check the models to be sure
    I dont know if it can be set below 1Mbs though .

https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/article...ndwidth-Limits

Perhaps Ask your question on geekzone, they have techs with alot of experience with this sort of thing
    https://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=66

Thanks 1101

Old guy

1101 is correct. Unifi setup will let you control pretty much whatever you want but unless your knowledge of networks is good it does require a lot of research.

Quote Originally Posted by mOOseCaNNoN View Post
    kids here for the holidays and they're messing up my connection.
    if one of their phones starts backing up to the cloud

Cheers
    Or...confiscate the phones until you are done with work.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Or...confiscate the phones until you are done with work.
    I just turn the WiFi off completely if it's a consistent issue. We found our eldest's phone was running SamSung cloud and was constantly trying to upload, we got her to switch that off.

The problem is that they're really good kids and I don't want to take away their WiFi all holidays and every evening just so my wife and I can work/play games

I don't know anything about speed limiting wifi but is it worth checking out better broadband options? Yours is pretty slow by todays standards. Some friends of mine are using a wireless line of sight internet service as there is no fibre or DSL in their area and surprisingly it's pretty good. Their son is a heavy gamer so he's paying part of the cost but it seems to work mostly ok with the 3 of them sharing the connection and the ping times are ok.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by mOOseCaNNoN View Post

The problem is that they're really good kids and I don't want to take away their WiFi all holidays and every evening just so my wife and I can work/play games
    Compromise, you cut down your gaming while they are visiting. Sad if the kids are online the whole time anyway, shouldn't they be outdoors or going places?
    And you guys, hang out with them in the evening?
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Compromise, you cut down your gaming while they are visiting. Sad if the kids are online the whole time anyway, shouldn't they be outdoors or going places?
    And you guys, hang out with them in the evening?
    Outdoors at 8pm? two teenagers, thee medium aged kids and their cousin... Hanging out with them most of the day, need some adult time in the evening with no lag rage

Thanks all for your help. I ended up getting an AP where I limited the upload speed for an IP range. About to test it out tonight.

Lock yourself away!!!