Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Do I have reason for complaint?

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Ummm why? I don't have any Fibre to terminate. It's copper from the road to the house I'm told.
    Yes.
    So get fibre. VDSL is OK....but if you can get fibre, do so, VDSL is for those who have no choice.
    Ex-pctek

It sounds like fibre isn't available, but you could always ask to be sure. Fibre running down the street doesn't mean much by itself, it depends what kind of fibre and what it's for.
    There needs to be the right kind of fibre distribution in your neighbourhood for you to get it connected to your house.

Try the broadband checker https://www.chorus.co.nz/help-and-su...an-i-get-fibre it doesn't matter who your isp is, they all pretty much use the same fibre anyway.

As to your main issue, make sure you are testing with an ethernet connection not wifi and if it's the same then yes complain to vodafone, those results are not acceptable. You could log into your router and find the line speed to see what that is.

I don't know where you live and there are still places where broadband speed is very slow due to limited capacity into the area but generally VDSL is much better than that. Do you know what speeds your neighbours get, or how far it is to the cabinet or exchange building you are connected to with the copper? It doesn't just change from copper to fibre at the end of your driveway, there has to be some equipment somewhere.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

You will have ph line issues causing the low speeds (I bet)

That used to be an annual occurance at my house, wet weather stuffing up the ph lines .
    VDSL & ADSL need good cooper lines & connections, both inside & outside your house .

Ring Voda , they can remotely do a line test .

Fibre can take an eternity to get connected , even when its allready run down your street .

I have had fibre at the top of my drive since Dec . I still can get fibre connected
    Its getting closer , they ran fibre down my drive a month ago , but no eta to get it connected into my house .

Just a little bit of info regarding fibre because it comes up a lot where people see fibre in their area and can't get connected or get a huge quote and can't see any justification for it.

There are essentially two different kinds of fibre cabling running about the place and although they can sometimes be interconnected that isn't always the case.

For fibre to the home a fibre cable is run from a cabinet or underground enclosure back to some exchange equipment to provide internet connectivity. The crucial bit is what happens in that cabinet (etc) where a fibre splitter is installed and distribution tubes are run to the boundary of each house in the area that's planed to connect to that. This effectively combines multiple customers onto 1 fibre back to the exchange otherwise we'd need huge fibre capacity at a huge cost.
    If there is no splitter set up to feed your address or no tube running back to one then getting fibre isn't really practical or affordable in most cases. There are sometimes exceptions if the location is just right.

The other fibre that is in the ground that people often hear about and want to connect to is the older fibre network used to interconnect between ISP & Telco areas and equipment which is not set up to drop off along the way. It tends to be several km between joints or access points and has neither the spare fibres, any splitters, or the convenient distribution setup of the fibre to the home cabling. You can't just cut into it wherever you like and use it for internet, and even if you did it would be a very costly exercise.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

So why is it showing Thai language?