Thread: Skype

Default Skype

Iíve had a dozen people skype me who I donít know so would it be OK to answer an unknown skype? Iím a lonely old man with no friends or family and I would like to skype with some people, so how can I do this?

VoidMaster

Default Re: Skype

No, you are exactly who the scammers are looking for, they just want your money, don't answer.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Old guy

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post
    No, you are exactly who the scammers are looking for, they just want your money, don't answer.
    +100. Never engage with unknown people over the net at all.

A lot of us are unknown people over the net.

As for random skype calls, have you stored your skype details outside of skype? Seems that your details may have been sold or scraped for this to happen. I have never received skype calls from unknown people.

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    +100. Never engage with unknown people over the net at all.
    That stuffs the forum eh Only kidding, but how many here would know others if they walked past them in the Street ?

But back on Subject ---
    I would like to skype with some people, so how can I do this?
    Only a suggestion -- What hobbies or interests do you have ?? Possibly look on forums relating to the subjects of interests, Join, sometimes forums have live chats, or you may just "click" with certain people who after a while may like to skype, having similar interests can help.

BUT what ever you do ALWAYS, until you get to know people, be very careful what type of information you give out.

Random cold requests on Skype are almost guaranteed to be scams of some sort. There may be the odd legit one but generally few and far between.

I run a Facebook group, you should see some of the requests I get
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by lostsoul62 View Post
    I’m a lonely old man with no friends or family and I would like to skype with some people, so how can I do this?
    Ask some of us forum people?
    We're friends aren't we?

Or what about joining something............Mens Shed perhaps? They have these in most of the towns around the country. Bigger cities have more than one, they're per area...

Now some men are not into messing about making stuff, or not good at it, but that's OK, they allow members to sit about chatting and have cuppas too.
    If you do wish to assist in making stuff or assisting, well there you go.

It came about for men - some without a shed of their own - to hide from the wives and hang out with other men.

Or if you don't want to go out:

https://www.ageconcern.org.nz/ACNZPu...Isolation.aspx

Ex-pctek

Or...You're on a forum.
    Wrong section...jump into chat...and chat.......That's what it's for. Tell us how your day went, rave about your car...your garden or whatever.
    Or the view....(good or bad)

Or join some others..Geekzone has a variety of subjects, they categorise them.....cars, bikes, books, movies, whatever...not just IT

Or a club? Books? Some kind of sport?
    Coaching others?For instance...
    IT - don't have to make a living, but you could help out the ones needing it.....like maybe Seniornet? It's run by other over '50s, for over '50s. They're not qualified teachers or even qualified IT people, which is half the point.

And it's not just old people that get sucked in. when I was at tech there was a woman in my class, she was 28,29...She met some guy online, chatting....next thing she was ringing him, her toll bill went into the thousands...then the silly b**** imported him, left her husband and got a flat.
    This guy was from the US....she went out to work, he sat on his bum on the net all day making "friends" with other women all over the world.

He didn't rip her off as in taking her savings or such, he just used her..he got a free trip to NZ, free accommodation, food etc while arranging his next victims...

We tried to tell her...eventually she came to her senses and went back to her patient husband and spent a long time paying off the phone bills.
    Last edited by piroska; 23-06-2020 at 09:15 PM.
    Ex-pctek

Senior

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post

I run a Facebook group, you should see some of the requests I get
    Do tell

Quote Originally Posted by bellbird View Post
    Do tell
    Well lets say some are rather R18+ or X rated.

Its only a site that is made up for playing the online games and collecting prizes, currently over 5000 members, and the other admin (my wife) is a real tough ***** LOL

Theres a warning about posting certain things, Eg "We don't allow any public notice post any selling posts any political or racist or any homophobic or sexist post." Basically there are no 2nd chances, post them and its there's the door - you're booted and cant come back.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.