Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    VoidMaster

Default Re: Recommend a wireless access point or similar, wifi issues?

Have you got a cat, they sometimes randomly knock the power block plugged into the mains supply and glitch the modem or ONT, a cat at my friends house was doing that about once a week until we realized what was happening and made the power supply more robust.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

No pets, no kids, just me.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    (snip) So what I have is this:

ONT ---> Huawei Router ---> 8 port switch ----> Dlink Powerline adapters ---> TPlink VDSL router reconfigured to be an access point (snip)
    Quite coincidentally, I set up the same arrangement in our previous home (no 8 port switch, but everything else was the same; even the same brands!). I did this because the ONT box was downstairs, and we couldn't get a satisfactory WIFI signal upstairs, possibly because the insulation between the two floors had a metallic layer.

We never achieved satisfactory consistent WIFI upstairs, with numerous dropped signals each day. I set up the router as an access point using some downloaded instructions, but it was not a consistent success.

Back when the TPlink router was my main and only router it worked really well, since attempting to use it as an access point not so much.

Looking at a few options to replace all the functions to the shed in one device. Any comments on these options?

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NET...-Starter-Kit-w
    https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NET...rline-Kit-with

Leaning towards the TP-link for better AC passthrough and expandability.

It feels a bit like a waste of money and makes my existing powerline adapter and the old router redundant. It is a lot tidier though and hopefully more reliable.

Still leaves me with the other issue, but that doesn't happen too often.

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post

Leaning towards the TP-link for better AC passthrough and expandability.
    Ive installed plenty of the older lower spec TPLink units . I use one at home , good but not perfect . The newer models should be better ?
    https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NET...ne-Kit-with-N3
    Treat them as a choice of last resort , dont expect perfection & they'll do the job .

in general , they may need a power off/on every now & then
    the rated specs & speed is ABSOLUTE BS, they purposely mislead with the quoted speeds .
    If roaming around with laptop/phone, you may need to turn off laptop/ph wifi & back on to force a reconnect to the stronger wifi signal

I have had those kits not work from house to external building(small separate office building) , its a try it & see sort of thing . They did work on a different customers house & external office building just fine
    Last edited by 1101; 01-07-2020 at 03:18 PM.

I don't really care about speed, more about stability. The existing setup is actually failry quick using D-link powerline adapters and the TP-link router but the network lockups it causes are really annoying.

I'm still looking into alternatives because the more I think about this the more it's really about a reliable garage door opener than internet access. Having remote control of the garage door is kinda cool, but if the remotes worked properly I could just remove all the gear suppllying wifi to the shed.

I use a different SSID in the shed from the house and the garage door opener only knows that one so it won't try to connect to the house. On my phone I disable the automatic connection on the Shed SSID.

It is occasionally useful having good wifi in the shed, and I did have a camera running over the connection for a while too, but mostly it's just there for the garage door.

Friend of mine has that Asus powerline kit, he has no issues at all, all working good. (He has loads of old PCs networked all over)
    Ex-pctek

Only problem with TP-Link (at the moment) No one has any stock, even the ones linked at PBTech, if you look at the delivery date its later this month or even next in some cases.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Given the exact same feature set of both options including the clone wifi button I get suspicious that maybe it's the same circuit board in both.

digging a trecnh is the best solution, I just don't wanna.