Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: What type of Huawei phone is good for taking photos?

Quote Originally Posted by DanceMonkey View Post
    Hi guys, I have been thinking about changing my phone these days. My previous one is iPhone 5s which is really out of date . I enjoy taking photos with my camera in general , but the drawback is inconvenient for carrying , so I am thinking about purchasing a new phone with awesome function in terms of photos. Hope you guys give me some advice. 😃
    You want a High end Samsung or Iphone then.
    The flagship Iphones & samsungs are known to have great cams. Many of the lesser brands cameras phones are hopeless in low light .

Online reviews often dont show the terrible low light performance of some phones. The (used) phone I bought is useless in low light , and I only bought it as reviews said it had a good cam .

I have a 2nd hand galaxy S8 and it takes very good photos, so good in fact I gave away my old fujitsu 14mp 10X zoom digital camera after doing some side by side comparisons. So I second the Samsung recommendation.

I do still have a compact Canon digital camera with 25X Zoom, a decent Zoom and a better sensor for low light is all a compact digital camera can offer over a decent phone camera these days and 25X seems to be the maximum you can get and still fit the camera in a pocket. I've managed to take passable photos of the moon with some crater detail and my phone definitely can't do that, you just get a white dot on a black background.

But the biggest advantage phones have is that they are small and portable and you always have it handy, makes carrying a separate camera seem like a waste of effort most of the time.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post

But the biggest advantage phones have is that they are small and portable and you always have it handy, makes carrying a separate camera seem like a waste of effort most of the time.
    It's a bit like being a cat v. dog person. Or, iPhone v. Android. Whatever rings your bells. I use a camera as I find them physically better to use, and I know what I am doing after 40 years of taking photos.

Ken
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

Yeah Kenj I get that, When I'm planning a trip somewhere scenic I take my camera. But the rest of the time I have my phone so it ends up being what I take most of my photos on.
    That's what I was getting at, convenience and portability.

We have been going through a weird trend over the last few decades where quality has taken a back seat to convenience in a lot of things meaning modern devices are often not as good as what we used to have.
    Film is arguably better than digital, a digital camera is better than a camera phone, CD quality is better than modern compressed formats, Blueray is better than current streaming quality (mostly).

A lot of us are perfectly happy with "good enough" for the day to day convenience that comes with it. Camera phones are a perfect example.

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    Yeah Kenj I get that, When I'm planning a trip somewhere scenic I take my camera. But the rest of the time I have my phone so it ends up being what I take most of my photos on.
    That's what I was getting at, convenience and portability.

We have been going through a weird trend over the last few decades where quality has taken a back seat to convenience in a lot of things meaning modern devices are often not as good as what we used to have.
    Film is arguably better than digital, a digital camera is better than a camera phone, CD quality is better than modern compressed formats, Blueray is better than current streaming quality (mostly).

A lot of us are perfectly happy with "good enough" for the day to day convenience that comes with it. Camera phones are a perfect example.
    I would agree with most of that, although I'm not so sure about film being better than digital - personal preference plays a large part here.

No question, modern phones can take very good pictures, but they also have serious limitations. The convenience factor built into them can mean you have little control in tricky situations of low light and/or appropriate shutter speeds. If you are into post-processing on a PC the jpeg format is also a limitation, it is much better to shoot with a camera that can produce RAW files. Admittedly that requires a degree of dedication, but once again personal preference is the deciding factor. On the other hand, unless you know your camera inside out and back to front, in the time it takes to get the appropriate settings someone with a phone camera could have shot an entire movie!

For myself, I find it rather sad that the convenience of phone cameras is putting a lot of pressure on traditional camera manufacturers - this will likely result in reduced choice and higher prices. When a company like Adobe starts to adapt it's software range to accommodate phone cameras you know the success of these devices has to be taken seriously.

Jayess64 and dugimodo. Great comments. You both understand what I am saying.

I use 14bit RAW always and edit to a .jpg file. It's my hobby, the love of my life!

Don't like film though. I used to process my own prints, B&W and colour. For that reason, digital wins hands down. (A bit like the resurgence of vinyl. Have a friend who waffles on about how this crackly analogue sound is wonderful )

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by kenj View Post
    Jayess64 and dugimodo. Great comments. You both understand what I am saying.

I use 14bit RAW always and edit to a .jpg file. It's my hobby, the love of my life!

Don't like film though. I used to process my own prints, B&W and colour. For that reason, digital wins hands down. (A bit like the resurgence of vinyl. Have a friend who waffles on about how this crackly analogue sound is wonderful )

Ken
    Yes, I used to process my own films a couple of centuries ago. It was fun then, but I prefer digital. As for vinyl records - I find that craze hysterically funny. Watch out - the zombies are coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Jayess64 View Post
    . As for vinyl records - I find that craze hysterically funny. Watch out - the zombies are coming!
    The power of suggestion. Some are constantly saying vinyl sounds better , so many assume that to be true.
    Sure, if you spend $1000+ on a turntable you can get sound thats better than a $100 CD player :-)

I found the quality of the actual records to be shockingly bad , in general. Clicks pops hisses ,warping , low bass purposely lowered down in the mix (due to shortcoming of records)

Way back in the day , I used to take my SLR to parties gathering etc . Because of all the hassles with my lager SLR & separate Flash Unit, those with the instamatic type cameras would get far more photos than me .
    I guess phones are the new instamatic camera's

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    I used to take my SLR to parties gathering etc . Because of all the hassles with my lager SLR & separate Flash Unit, those with the instamatic type cameras would get far more photos than me .
    Was it the fault of too much lager, perhaps?

I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

There was a reason I used the word "arguably" with regard to film. It has some advantages and the resolution is very high but it is not a clear winner and preference comes into it.

As regards to Vinyl I could argue that one for hours When someone says Vinyl sounds better or they prefer it then they are correct, because that's just personal preference and they know what they like best. However when you start trying to make the argument that it actually is better, that's an uphill battle with me. Sure if you disregard the much more limited dynamic range of vinyl and the physical limitations of just how fast and accurately a needle can respond then you can make the case that it contains the original analogue signal as opposed to a digital recording that can never be 100% accurate in the waveform reproduction. But then you are ignoring noise, wow & flutter, rumbles, crackles, pops, acoustic feedback, the need for a perfect rpm speed of the turntable, a needle in perfect condition, and a perfectly stable platform.

But more than any technical comparison, or arguments about sound quality, anyone like myself who used to have a large record collection subjected to the normal use and abuse of just playing the music regularly can probably recount tales of all the problems we used to have with them. I had so many records get damaged without ever knowing how. I'd put it away carefully in it's paper sleeve, inside the cover, with the plastic still on the outside to protect it even more, keep the collection stored safely away from flatmates, and still next time I played the record there'd be a new scratch or jump where there wasn't one before. My flatmate would stomp across the room and make the record jump, one time the roof leaked and a glob of plaster landed on my record ruining it permanently, one got left too close to the window and warped in the sun, the needled got knocked and tore a new groove across more than one, a careless drop of the needle when trying to play a single track damaged a couple. I don't think any of my 200 plus records was completely perfect in it's playback.

What a revelation CDs were. Oh the joy of skipping straight to the track you want, or playing on random, or just experiencing music without all the noise. And after owning CDs since 1987 and still having about 350 of them I still have only ever had one get damaged, by a malfunctioning player that ejected it at full speed. And guess what, those horrendous scratches that made the CD unplayable were able to be buffed right back off again.

anyway sorry for derailing the thread