Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Smartphone recommendation?

Quote Originally Posted by kenj View Post
    Okay, I bought SWMBO a Samsung Y5 @ $199 from the Rotorua Spark shop. She seems happy with it.

Ken
    Oops, that should have been Huawei

Ken
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

As a point of interest, cellphones are in short supply in NZ. So I was told by around 3-4 shops I looked in. Lemmings, Hardly Normal, Te Whare Whare, Spark et al. Caused by Covid-19 affecting deliveries they all say.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by kenj View Post
    As a point of interest, cellphones are in short supply in NZ. So I was told by around 3-4 shops I looked in. Lemmings, Hardly Normal, Te Whare Whare, Spark et al. Caused by Covid-19 affecting deliveries they all say.

Ken
    I wouldn't buy a new ph anyway..........I was in Spark this morning trying to get them to remove the data block and there were loads of people buying expensive phones.

I also failed in my quest, the twit didn't seem to understand so I give up and am shifting to Skinny, which A)IS cheaper and B)Won't have a data block on the sim.
    Also I found a method of removing stuff off this one....so I'm happy now, didn't need to "root" just plug in and delete, delete...and it's all good, nothing I want to work is broken.
    Ex-pctek

Not sure how much an iPhone SE is back in NZ but they are great little phones. They're still going to be supported for iOS 14, and it's nice being able to fully use it with one hand.

Otherwise a Pixel 2 would be a great choice. Probably around $300 I guess? Stock Android, no crap on them, smooth as butter.

Good Luck!

Edit- You might be able to pick up an older model Samsung Galaxy Active phone as well. They are the toughest of the tough.

Quote Originally Posted by baabits View Post
    Not sure how much an iPhone SE is back in NZ but they are great little phones. They're still going to be supported for iOS 14, and it's nice being able to fully use it with one hand.

Otherwise a Pixel 2 would be a great choice. Probably around $300 I guess? Stock Android, no crap on them, smooth as butter.

Good Luck!

Edit- You might be able to pick up an older model Samsung Galaxy Active phone as well. They are the toughest of the tough.
    The cheapest Pixel 2 phone on Price Spy is around $600 and nothing on TM. Pixel 3 even more. Pity that Google see us as a non entity and won't sell their phone stuff here
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

Quote Originally Posted by baabits View Post
    Not sure how much an iPhone SE is

Otherwise a Pixel 2 would be a great choice.

Iphone...never.

Thanks. I'll look into those 2...although I have stripped the Sony now....which accomplished the same thing.

One thing, they're so big!!! Doesn't fit nicely in jeans pocket anymore...how do people get around this problem?
    I don't do handbags....
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    One thing, they're so big!!! Doesn't fit nicely in jeans pocket anymore...how do people get around this problem?
    Diet!
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

How does me being thinner help? The phone still doesn't fit in a jeans pocket well. The PHONE is too big, not me.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    How does me being thinner help? The phone still doesn't fit in a jeans pocket well. The PHONE is too big, not me.
    The bigger screens make a huge difference in usability though. I'd never go back to a 5" phone .
    My phone fits in my front jeans pocket, but only just & I need to be carefull when its in there .

Never understood the obsession with using a phone one handed anyway, my thumbs are the least accurate of all my fingers.
    Size is also less of an issue for me, I'm a big guy with big hands and big pockets so the original iphone and phones of that size seem tiny to me.

My phone buying habit has been to buy the samsung flagship phones second hand when the next model releases and they flood the 2nd hand market so I've had an S2, S4, Note3, and now S8 and the most I've ever spent was $500 but that was actually $250 - sold the note 3 for $250 and bought the S8 for $500.

However that plan has come crashing down as the last few releases have crept ever closer to $2k making even the 2nd hand models very expensive so I think the S8 is sticking around for a while this time and I'll have to buy something else next.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070