Default Printer Error after Jam

Nope don't want assistance.
    Last time this happened Canon here said they could not look at it cause I didn't have "genuine" cartridges in it.
    I took them all out, took it back but no...while I was arguing with the office lady the tech had a quick peek and found a tiny piece of paper in an awkward to get at spot. End of argument - and problem.

So this time I had it again.
    I have found using double sided printing causes this on all sorts of printers but I prefer it so...

I got all the paper out, bu no still had error 5C01

Canons site has a long troubleshooter, align the guide, clean the encoder and so on, and I found a forum where someone said they had dismantled and done all sorts but no it persists. Canons reply was it stuffed it.
    The tech last time, told me that too.....it can.

And one of my brothers printers had that issue, he got another.

But I like my printer and I believed none of it.
    SO I took it apart. Bit of a PITA getting the outer casing off, I thought I'd missed a screw but it just has annoyingly hard to release clippy bits.

And lo!! Here was a tiny bit of paper tucked away at the far side, obviously upsetting some sensor or such.

I was tempted to leave the cover off, for next time, but didn't.
    I do have 2 screws left over, I know where they go, can't be bothered, it's not essential...printer is happy again now, despite Canons dire warnings about don't touch that thing or this other thing. (I touched them all)

They just want you to buy another.
    Ex-pctek

Default Re: Printer Error after Jam

Canon assumes everybody outside is just as competent as their (economy rate) techs, so least touched, soonest mended. Rather sad, but we are a bit past the good days where hardware could be easily fixed or at least re-purposed. Now, just so the incompetent don't feel they're being picked on, they make stuff to be cheap to manufacture, profitable to sell, and provided 90% last to the end of the warranty + 1 day, sufficiently reliable. If they have 50% lasting the warranty period plus 6 months, a re-design is urgently required to eliminate the dreaded reliability and also making all previous parts and supplies redundant. The spare parts supplies will be stocked only in countries where that particular model of printer is prohibited from sale.
    Thus, the shareholders, sales dept, and marketing division are content. The company staff and the customers (as opposed to prospective customers) are naturally beneath contempt and happiness is not their lot.
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by R2x1 View Post
    Canon assumes everybody outside is just as competent as their (economy rate) techs, so least touched, soonest mended. Rather sad, but we are a bit past the good days where hardware could be easily fixed or at least re-purposed. Now, just so the incompetent don't feel they're being picked on, they make stuff to be cheap to manufacture, profitable to sell, and provided 90% last to the end of the warranty + 1 day, sufficiently reliable. If they have 50% lasting the warranty period plus 6 months, a re-design is urgently required to eliminate the dreaded reliability and also making all previous parts and supplies redundant. The spare parts supplies will be stocked only in countries where that particular model of printer is prohibited from sale.
    Thus, the shareholders, sales dept, and marketing division are content. The company staff and the customers (as opposed to prospective customers) are naturally beneath contempt and happiness is not their lot.

All too easy to blame manufacturers
    The fact is the public want cheap cheap cheap. Its a race to the bottom.

When was the last time you bought a $1000 built to last printer .
    Ive seen a $1000ish printer thats had 500,000 pages through it , the same model had been known to do 1Million pages . Built to last . At a cost .

When I was doing warranty printer repairs , the more expensive printers would be fixed, the cheap printers would be thrown in the bin & customer given another .

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    All too easy to blame manufacturers
    The fact is the public want cheap cheap cheap. Its a race to the bottom.
    I don't. It;s not $1000 but I NEVER buy those budget things. I always check the ppc before settling on a model.
    Or PPt, for laser.

From memory was on sale for about $250ish.
    Ex-pctek

I once pulled apart a laser printer. Can't recall if the intention was to fix it or just to be nosey inside a dead unit.
    Anyway, there was a zillion parts, and reassembly soon became an unrealistic option.

I'd be more confident of ripping apart and reassembling a car engine than that damned laser printer (and I'm not a mechanic).

Quote Originally Posted by Paul.Cov View Post
    I once pulled apart a laser printer. Can't recall if the intention was to fix it or just to be nosey inside a dead unit.
    Anyway, there was a zillion parts, and reassembly soon became an unrealistic option.

I'd be more confident of ripping apart and reassembling a car engine than that damned laser printer (and I'm not a mechanic).
    Having the repair manuals helps
    Its not that hard . Its just a matter of finding the all the screws that need to be removed & removing stuff in the right order.
    Hardest part sometimes was getting the plastic case & panels off.

I hardly ever do much repair/install work on printers now. That industry(printer repair) pretty much died some time back .
    Its simply not worth driving for 1.5hours in AK traffic there & back to a customer, to look at a printer thats only worth $50 . Its cheaper for them to
    just buy another . As much as I hate turning down work, thats the reality .

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Hardest part sometimes was getting the plastic case & panels off.
    Yep. That's all I needed to remove anyway, I could then get at the sides........
    Clippy bits were not very clippy and took a bit of force to get off. All good now.
    Ex-pctek