Default Pike River , $35Million to acheive nothing

Looks like they wont be recovering any bodies from Pike River mine .
    So $35MILLION to achieve NOTHING . It was used as a political football, get the families hopes up for nothing.
    The families should have been told NO from day 1. Instead they kept being given false hopes.

They claim there are now looking for evidence . We all know why it blew , there have been admissions of unsafe work practices and high methane levels.

As to Blame: they all were to blame . Management, NZ Govt, Govt Departments, the Union that had received safety complaints , and sadly even the workers must take some blame as they knew it was unsafe .
    When you are disabling gas alarms because of high methane levels....then everyone who knew is equally to blame .

Where was Peters, he wanted to be the first in.
    I feel sorry for the families for being strung along all this time .

Old guy

Default Re: Pike River , $35Million to acheive nothing

Just politicians playing politics and in the case of Little covering his rear end. A complete waste of time and money even half the families were against it.

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    Just politicians playing politics and in the case of Little covering his rear end. A complete waste of time and money even half the families were against it.
    A bit of history : are his hands are covered in the miners blood , I think so .
    He was in managemnt in the Trade Union that did nothing about safety concerns & then defended Pike management .

https://nzagainstthecurrent.blogspot...ike-river.html
    " EPMU National secretary Andrew Little (now a Labour MP) told the New Zealand Herald on November 22 2010 that there was "nothing unusual about Pike River or this mine that we’ve been particularly concerned about".
    He told Close Up that underground mining was inherently unsafe and the risk of gas explosions, particularly on the West Coast, was high.
    While the industry was aware of the risks and took the necessary precautions, unfortunately these kinds of incidents still happened, he argued.
    On November 26, 2010 the Dominion Post ran an article that denounced 'wild' rumours that the mine was not safe. It declared that "Any suggestion of obvious or known safety lapses does not find traction with unionised staff or union leader Andrew Little." "

They all knew it was unsafe . No point looking for scapegoats to blame , or 'looking for evidence' now.
    Unfortunately, the families of the miners need to accept the miners knew it was unsafe . They choose to keep working there . Harsh but true .

" an Australian gas drainage engineer, who wished to remain anonymous because he feared 'recriminations', said he visited Pike River in 2009 and observed that its operating standards were "extremely poor".

He said that he had been told by miners that the mine was flooded with methane gas about three weeks before the first explosion.

He said miners had bored through 'high flow methane holes' without any risk assessment conducted or procedure on how to manage gas flow from the hole in place. He was critical that PRC has not yet implemented a gas drainage drilling regime that could relieve the pressure when there was a build up of gas by drilling a hole in the coal seam.

The New Zealand Herald, also in November 2010, quoted Gerry Morris of Greymouth, a former writer for Coal magazine, who said he had heard regularly from contractors at the mine "over the last two or three years that this mine is unsafe, there’s far too much gas, there’s going to be a disaster here one day". "
    Last edited by 1101; 11-06-2020 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Looks like they wont be recovering any bodies from Pike River mine .
    So $35MILLION to achieve NOTHING .
    No kidding.
    What did the families except? Mummified corpses sitting there waiting?
    It blew up, there'd be something along the lines of burnt jam....
    But they kicked up a fuss so the govt had to be Seen To Be Doing Something.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    I feel sorry for the families
    Nah, they were just money-grabbing and playing on weak politicians who were too scared to say No.

35-50 million to recover dust.

I agree with most of what has been said here, but, the the thing that still irks me is the “Mine Rescue Team” were forbidden to enter the mine, immediately after the explosion, by a Policeman who had no knowledge of Mine Rescue.

I believe that had the “Mine Rescue Team” been allowed to enter, lives may have been saved.

Remember, two found their own way out, and I believe there were others in the “Drift” who could have been saved.

It was just F... Up after F... Up.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

For that $35 x 10^6, they've recovered a robot in not so good condition, spawned acres of reports and put the printing ink suppliers well into the black.
    Fortunately the flying dust and obfuscation has hidden any revelations or discoveries about blame that could be aimed at absentee officials (without even a clipboard to look imposing with) making decisions that a completely outside their areas of expertise in that reality was involved (a foreign concept with no precedent in the sheltered workshops where they lurk).
    B.M. got it neatly in the aft end of his first sentence (post#7) above..
    Fortunately for Senior Police, they do not have to worry about the effects of their blunders on common people's lives or livelihoods.
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.