Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PC sound gone

Unhappy PC sound gone

As the title says....boom!

One moment I had sound and life was normal - then I pressed the HDMI button to jump on the PS4, the systems swapped and when the PS4 screen was loading it was silent.

So I shut down the PS4 and pressed said button to go back to the PC and ..........nothing. It was the initial press of the HDMI button changing from PC to PS4 that did it....whatever 'it' is.

I've checked all sound buttons, run the HP Support thing, Googled and followed instructions...reset the PC which reloaded Windows (that might have been a sledgehammer to crack a nut), and still no sound. No sound indicators anywhere on this thing are showing as muted.

Interestingly, when I put it an headphone jack in the appropriate hole that doesn't work either, which gives me hope it's not a dead-speakers hardware issue. I've tried running videos, music and YT videos - all show the sound icon, but nuffing.

I've run Device Manager and selected the sound card and tried to update drivers but that said all good. I let HP Support reload the original driver and that said done.

I've run out of ideas

Old guy

Default Re: PC sound gone

Right click on the speaker icon on the taskbar and see what it says it is outputting the sound to.

It gives me 4 options:

Open Sound Settings
    Open Volume Mixer
    Spatial Sound (Off)
    Troubleshoot Sound Problems

There is no 'we're outputting the sound to ..." option.

And Yes, I've done the troubleshooting and it always comes back to drivers that apparently are up-to-date and kapai.

Old guy

Click on Open Sound Settings. The top item you see will tell you where the sound is being output to.

It has 'Speaker/Headphone (Realtek High Definition Audio)'

Which under 'Manage Sound Devices' is also the same for Input devices.

And under Sound Control Panel it is the default device with a green tick.

Old guy

It looks as it should from what I can tell from my devices which are on Win 10. I do know that if the wrong output device is selected on this PC I hear nothing even though the system reports all ok.
    Hopefully one of our more technical members will appear with some useful advice for you before to long. In the meantime have a look at this link https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...e-windows.html

VoidMaster

Is mute on is the volume control on zero, obvious but can be missed. There should be somewhere in the sound settings that you can find a bar display which will show you if music is actually playing but the sound is not getting to the speakers/headphones.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Appreciate your efforts Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post
    There should be somewhere in the sound settings that you can find a bar display which will show you if music is actually playing but the sound is not getting to the speakers/headphones.
    There is, and when I click on test the speakers animate and the volume bar lights up. But no sound.

Maybe my speakers have lunched themselves? But that makes no sense, why die, just like that?

VoidMaster

Are the speakers plugged into the green min-jack socket?

Are the speakers a powered unit or run from sound out of computer?

Try plugging headphones into green min-jack socket.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche