Default Re-doing my small home network.

Hello
    Just a quick bit of advice please.
    I have a small home network that has been going well for two years.
    UFB broadband
    From the ONT
    Via Cat 5 cable to a 4 port wireless router
    From the router 2 cat 5 cables to two desktop pcs along the carpet.

I want to improve it by upgrading to cat6 cable and running the wires up into the attic and installing ethernet plugs on the walls in 2 rooms.
    This would entail putting the router in the garage.

Is this OK, or would I be better to buy a 4 or 6 port switch.
    And if so which comes first from the ONT, the router or the switch.

And if the router is in the garage, would I need to run a cable from the switch (or my present router) to a new router in the lounge to enable mobile phone use

I like to keep things as simple as possible.
    Any suggestions gratefully accepted.
    So what colour is your Adkaf?
    Have you joined Proud to Be Kiwi yet?

Default Re: Re-doing my small home network.

You don't need a switch.

You have ONT--->Router---->devices. You don't add anything else in between.

You can't have 2 routers anyway.
    So long as the ONT isn't too far, the router could go elsewhere (via cable). But really I'd leave ONT and router where they are. Moving router is unnecessary and awkward.

Run short cables to wall jacks from router. Then wire back from wall jacks through house to your devices, to wall jacks there....
    Then short cables from wall jacks to device.
    That's the normal way it's done, I did heaps of it at the Uni when I worked there.
    Ex-pctek

ONT- Router - Switches, You only have 1 router unless you want run different subnets. The existing router can be used as a Access Point for wireless, but you may be better off ( if you are running cables) to install a actual access point on the ceiling.

I Use and have installed several of these -- https://www.tp-link.com/en/business-...unt-ap/eap110/ as well as https://www.tp-link.com/en/business-...unt-ap/eap225/ They are POE so no power sockets required only run 1 cable.

For home use, its questionable if you'll see the difference between cat 5 and Cat6.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Thanks
    That will make it nice and easy
    (aside from ripping holes in my walls)
    So what colour is your Adkaf?
    Have you joined Proud to Be Kiwi yet?

I just want to throw in a good word for the Powerline devices that run the network through the homes power outlets and wiring.

I only use it to go from router to a single computer, but it can handle a good data rate. I've pulled a 1.6GB torrent through it in less than 15 minutes, and the torrent was probably the slower part of the equation.

This powerline has been absolutely zero bother from the day it was plugged in. No downtime, no configuration other than the initial pairing.
    I can't imagine I'll ever revert to a cable.

Wanderer

Powerline networking is OK but it is not quite as quick thou. I tried it with a friend. They didn't want to punch holes in walls though.

Re: the cabling. Yes no 2 routers. Just pick up a 8 port gigabit switch if you need that they are cheap as $30 or something. Depending on how many cable runs you may not need a switch anyway or they could be added in the future easily. We installed 2 network cable runs for each of the 3 bedroom and 1 cable run for another room so we needed a switch.

Depends how your rooms are situated. If you can punch a hole thru one wall and it goes straight to the 2 other rooms then that may be an issue. For ours we went from the lounge UFB ONT / ISP router to upstairs bedrooms so for us it was different.

Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post

And if the router is in the garage, would I need to run a cable from the switch (or my present router) to a new router in the lounge to enable mobile phone use
    Putting the router and the ONT in the garage is what is happening to new build houses over here in Wellington. It is neat and all the mess is away. But yes you can do a extra cable run and install a Wireless Access Point like a ceiling mounted device on the ceiling in the middle of the house be the lounge or the hallway. Some of them are also Power over Ethernet which saves you needing a power socket.

Maybe this Wireless AP is connected to a Network Switch in a hallway cupboard. The other rooms ethernet jacks are connected to this switch also.

Garage ONT --> ISP router --> hallway cupboard network switch -->

1. Cable to Room 1
    2. Cable to Room 2
    3. Cable to Wireless AP.
    Last edited by Nomad; 02-06-2020 at 04:27 PM.