Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Windows10 version 2004 update

Quote Originally Posted by linw View Post
    What do the average John and Jane Doe do when their car breaks down? Or their dishwasher stops? etc etc
    Yes but cars don't stop working while parked at home due to a software update.
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

Old guy

Quote Originally Posted by paulw View Post
    Have a look at Tesla's recent history!

Quote Originally Posted by paulw View Post
    Here's a challenge then - YOU write some major software that will work 100% Perfect on Any hardware configuration and any possible millions of installed software in the world. Bet anything you like you cant do it.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    Have a look at Tesla's recent history!
    Pretty irrelevant compared to the number of non Teslas around that don't die of a software update.
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Here's a challenge then - YOU write some major software that will work 100% Perfect on Any hardware configuration and any possible millions of installed software in the world. Bet anything you like you cant do it.
    well........not me. I couldn't write decent code to save myself. But my friend who used to work for Datacom....can and did.
    Then she got promoted to acting manager and mistakes crept in......she got flown to Aussie one weekend, at double time too....and sat there going through this thing line by line and it was an end bracket or some thing in the end.....

And my other friend, self taught, he absolutely hated some of the new code...he said it became lazy, people not writing stuff as such, but pasting together chucks of previously written, um I forget the term, it's an MS term....bits I'll say.

The other thing he didn't like was you wrote some thing, say for 16bit, then the O/S would go 32 bit and you'd have to redo it over, not just update it so to speak. Then 64 bit..

Have to say Linux works well. Yes you can get issues but when you update anything on this, you get a choice...there's 5 categories. 1 and 2 are stable...3 and 4, well, probably ok? 5, you're on your own....LOL.

I stick with 1 and 2. No issues. It's the first O/S ever I have done very little fixing on. Bad in one way, fixing stuff ups is an excellent way to learn the behind the scenes stuff.
    Ex-pctek

VoidMaster

Kludge, started with QDOS, quick and dirty operating system, LOL.
    Last edited by zqwerty; 31-05-2020 at 08:31 PM.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Speaking from experience, Win 10 doesn't mean techs are kept busily employed fixing things. I transitioned about 18 people onto win 10 a few years ago and haven't heard from virtually any of them since! That means they have been through many updates all on their own.

So, in my experience, win 10 is a disaster for techs, in spite of aspersions cast by some!

VoidMaster

I've looked at about 7 different win10 systems at different people's houses in no way connected, plus I have two win 10 o/s's of my own.

None of them have been up to date and two were back at 1709, trying to update about every 2 days but failing, using heaps of resources, bandwidth and also making the laptops virtually useless. This was last year, a couple stuck on 1805 as well, hence me being asked to look at them.

I'd say there are thousands all over the world in this state if not hundreds of thousands.

I bet they take them in to shops for repair and the staff say ah no that's a 4 year old laptop or whatever, out of date, underpowered these days, buy a new one, and the cycle goes on.

Everytime I touch a computer these days the first thing I do is type "winver" in search LOL.
    Last edited by zqwerty; 01-06-2020 at 10:27 AM.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post

I bet they take them in to shops for repair and the staff say ah no that's a 4 year old laptop or whatever, out of date, underpowered these days, buy a new one, and the cycle goes on.

Totally BS, There's often several common causes with laptops - they are always on Wireless, the Internet connection is set to metered, the active hours need adjusting - and the BIGGEST 99% of the time people don't bother checking for updates manually.

Any of the ones I have to fix, there's a HIGH percentage put them onto Ethernet and the updates come through as they should, also give them a good service.

Its simple case of Computers not maintained - Some people don't have a clue.

Using the Car example - a car owner should check the oil and water every so often, not wait till something goes wrong.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Good point about laptops, WT. Poor wifi is probably quite prevalent.