Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Windows10 version 2004 update

The tech said he installed the latest update when everything was running satisfactorily, and that is 2004, which was probably the update that had caused the shambles. The laptop seems quite slow to start up after it has been shut down but otherwise fine.
    About that, quite often the problem with updates /upgrades are third party programs, some of which wont be compatible. The problem with system restore is when you upgrade it removes the old restore points. Whats meant to happen is you use the roll back feature if required, so by using system restore actually more than likely caused more problems than solving.

Take the before mentioned Classic Shell, they canned that back in December 2017, so no surprise it caused troubles. Depends on the programs, I have a Dock program that was designed for Windows XP, still works fine

As for running slow, 2004 should run faster, could be whom ever did the repair didn't go the extra mile and and sort that. Mind you if its got a Older style Mechanical Drive that can cause slowness due to age as well. Have all the powr sucking, phone home and un-needed start up programs been disabled ?? Disabling those alone can give you a lot faster startup.

Don't need buckets of power to be quick, got a real ripper here LOL Celeron with a Cheap WD Green SSD, 8GB memory runs nice for what it is , starts in 25 seconds from completely off to fully up and running
    Last edited by wainuitech; 02-07-2020 at 02:26 PM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Thanks WT. I didn't know that about roll back/system restore. That did make it much, much worse. Classic Shell had been fine hitherto, and I have done all of the Microsoft updates offered.

The tech had quite a job to do to get the thing going again (Nod32 kept sending me alerts each time he logged on!) and he was getting concerned about the mounting cost to me so I think he called it a day when it was going and stable. The hard disk comes up as being in good health, but the tech suggested I change over to a SSD when the budget allows, to take advantage of SSD speed. I had told him I hadn't been doing regular backups since I retired, and the main goal was to get it into a stable enough state to back up my data. I have now made a disk image, and in a month or so I will change over to an SSD.

John, What you can check on as mentioned is start up items, as well disabling background apps, only takes a few seconds and can cut down startup speed, after doing this you need to reboot, sometimes the first boot afterwards hesitates as its discoverred there not all the crap loading. LOL This is from the windows sandbox so next to nothing in background apps. https://streamable.com/0plc83

Thanks WT. I have done what you suggested, and there were heaps of unnecessary items in start up and background apps. Will see what that does in the next restart. Thanks again.

Your reference to roll back - is that the command in Recovery Options - "Go back to the previous version of Windows 10"? Thanks again. John.

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    Your reference to roll back - is that the command in Recovery Options - "Go back to the previous version of Windows 10"? Thanks again. John.
    Yes. Had similar when upgrades didn't go quite as planned, but it did boot, and found system restore was empty. The roll back option only lasts for 10 Days, then it self deletes.

Also if you run Disk Cleanup / System Files and select previous OS, you get a warning that if you delete Windows.old you wont be able to roll back to the previous OS.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 03-07-2020 at 08:19 AM.

As part of a 10 build update, system restore gets turned off/disabled , so cant use that.
    I think there also used to be a issue of system restore not being turned back on automatically, not sure if thats been resolved

Yesterday I found out , 10 now no longer does an automated registry backup either . MS in their wisdom disabled that feature .
    So I couldnt use that to try & fix a corrupted Win10 (possible reg corruption)
    Auto Reg backup used to be a great feature

Classic Shell is working as usual on both laptops here after upgrading to Win 10 2004.
    When CS detects a new version of Windows it does a one time run of ClassicStartMenu.exe -upgrade
    With 1903 and 1909 that ran under local administrator privileges. In 2004, which has stricter protocols around unknown software, I had to go into cmd with elevated privileges and run the command from there. CS was enabled immediately, and now starts as usual when the machines boot..

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    (snip) sometimes the first boot afterwards hesitates as its discovered there not all the crap loading. LOL (snip)
    Well that was interesting WT. The first reboot took 1min 30 secs to get to my desktop with no whirly circle where the mouse pointer should be (excuse the technical language here). I shut down after an hour or so, and then rebooted. That reboot took 35 secs from start to functioning desktop. You were right! Thanks again WT.

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    Well that was interesting WT. The first reboot took 1min 30 secs to get to my desktop with no whirly circle where the mouse pointer should be (excuse the technical language here). I shut down after an hour or so, and then rebooted. That reboot took 35 secs from start to functioning desktop. You were right! Thanks again WT.
    Thats great Those simple "tricks" simply disable items that dont need to run in the background.

With a SSD, I'll estimate 15 -20 Seconds startup.

Well here's something interesting -- Just working on a couple of gaming PC's, both were built at the same time ( give or take an hour) have Identical manufactured components, same motherboards, Same memory, Same graphic Cards, Same version Windows (1909) the ONLY difference is one has different software to the other (some games) -- One says the computer is not ready yet to upgrade to 2004, yet the other is offering it.