Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Herding Cats

Default Re: Herding Cats

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    As a cat owner I still agree with the lead pill for strays, and I'm not averse to delivering it either.
    define stray
    Chances are its someones pet that like to go wandering around the neighborhood . Some cats will wander quite far from home .
    Wandering cats seem to be an issue more than neighbors cats. My neighbors cats stay pretty much in their own sections

The neighbour had a 'stray' cat often at his section , we all assumed it was a stray . Untill one day it turned up with a collar , so was someones pet .
    Last edited by 1101; 27-05-2020 at 08:54 AM.

Wandering cats are a risk to natibe birds and should get the same actions as dogs worrying sheep on a far,
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    define stray
    Chances are its someones pet that like to go wandering around the neighborhood . .
    One that hasn't been fed. Staved cats eat like dogs, at lightspeed and keep going until the dish is empty. Fed wanderers pick at the food.
    Strays live under a house, in a shed, on a lawn, wanderers go home after.

You think I can't tell? Ginger lived on our lawn, and under next doors house, where he fought with the other 2 strays....well 1 is a stray and 1 is her cat she won't feed anymore and insists isn't her cat, but I know better.

So now technically, he is a stray as well.
    They are scruffy, thin or ill sometimes. And really scared of people.

Wandering pets are not. There is one wandering pet, a fluffy cat, she comes sometimes, greets us, rolls around on deck, tries to steal food, but isn't hungry really, -s she picks - and wanders off over the fence back home when she is done visiting. She has a collar with a bow on it.
    And she is in good condition.

See?
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by prefect View Post
    Wandering cats are a risk to natibe birds and should get the same actions as dogs worrying sheep on a far,
    Ah that old chestnut again .
    Thats often spouted, but proof ? Sure , a some cats can catch a few sparrows , but on average not the huge threat to birds some would have us beleive

Most cats in my area are 100% usuless at catching birds. The cats know this so usually dont even try.
    They can catch sick & injured birds , but sometimes dont even try then (seen that , 3 cats just watching an injured bird hobble about)
    I can feed the birds , throwing bread on my drive , no issue with the local cats trying to catch them . The birds also know this .

Get rid of all the cats, rats will take over.
    Rats will be a much worse threat to native birds, rats can get to the parts of tress that cats are too big & heavy to reach .

Local cats do gobble up a lot of skinks though . Never mentioned as lizards not as feelgood warm & fussy as the nice pretty birds

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Local cats do gobble up a lot of skinks though . Never mentioned as lizards not as feelgood warm & fussy as the nice pretty birds
    Mine used to catch them There are NZ native skinks and the far more common Aussie invader. They were the aussie ones so I didn;t care, we had swarms of them in Auckland.
    Not a single skink down here.
    Ex-pctek

My neighbours are 1/2km away so if a cat wanders over here its here for the birds we encourage, our cats leave the birds alone and are kept in at night anyway and have plenty of mice to catch. Also here there are loads of wildcats and they are known to carry cat aids.

It's not a simple thing to figure out how much damage cats do vs the good they do as pest control. I don't think anyone truly has a handle on it.
    But as for cats killing birds, they do and with great regularity and most people are well aware of it. They don't need to be hungry it's just the hunting instinct and they all have it.

I have a cherry laurel tree in my front yard and the berries attract a lot of minahs and starlings, sometimes the noise is intense. The birds attract my Neighbours 3 cats and I regularly find dead birds on my lawn when I mow it courtesy of them.
    These are well fed and much loved pets and they are very good at killing birds.

Cat lovers don't like to believe their beloved pets are also stone cold killers but it's just true. Who hasn't played with a kitten and something tied to a piece of string. Why do you think they attack it, the hunting instinct is strong.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post

Cat lovers don't like to believe their beloved pets are also stone cold killers ....
    Not true at all.
    My cat is a cold blooded killer , it kills plenty of Rats & Mice
    My cat is 100% hopeless at catching birds . The neighbours cats are hopeless at catching birds .
    My previous cats were hopeless at catching birds
    The birds on my section know cats cant fly so arnt that scared of cats , unless they get really close .

The thing so many ignore is that birds can fly , Cats cant . They fly away when cats get too close .

My cat leaves the half eaten catches near back door (or in the house) . So I know what it catches : mice & rats .
    Why are there so many birds when I throw bread on the drive for them to eat. Surely the killers should have eaten them all by now

Birds do die of natural causes . I wouldnt assume all dead birds found were killed by cats . Perhaps, if it was a 1/2 eaten bird ....
    Last edited by 1101; 03-06-2020 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post

Cat lovers don't like to believe their beloved pets are also stone cold killers but it's just true. .
    So are dogs.
    Which people are more in denial about.

Cats vary....my Snuffs caught things, it was her main occupation. She wiped out an entire colony of mice when we first got to Southland. She killed birds too, she'd show me.
    Never saw a native.....

Sparrows, waxeyes (her favourite to eat), blackbirds, thrushes. She killed rats but didn't eat them. I could not get her to attack the damn Mynahs though. But she may have once, because they wouldn't go near her...but would dive bomb PK.

When she got old, she stopped killing anything except the waxeyes. She;d sit on the lawn surrounded by other birds and just look at them. I guess the effort vs the not a good meal?

Hoover is hopeless with birds, he has no idea how to proceed, so runs at them, and they have all the time in the world to take off.
    He has caught 2 mice and numerous beetles though.

PK would if the effort was minimal, but now she is old and has arthritis, she doesn't anymore. She did steal one of Hoovers mice off him.
    My sons cats have caught a few birds and heaps of skinks....they are the Aussie skink, so no worries.
    Ex-pctek

It might be that only some cats are good at killing birds, I don't know then numbers obviously. But when you do get one in your neighbourhood that's figured it out they make up for the rest.
    I know that most of the dead birds on my property are thanks to the cats next door, I've seen them do it. But they don't really bother eating them, pretty much lose interest as soon as it stops moving.
    They aren't hunting for food, just hunting.

Not really all that related but looking up where the phrase "putting a cat among the pigeons" comes from is kinda interesting. Not the same cats you have as pets but once upon a time it was a sport where a cat was released into a flock of pigeons and as they took flight it would leap into the air and catch one in flight, often very successfully. I've never seen a house cat do that successfully, but I've seen them try.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070