Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux Issue

Default Re: Linux Issue

Windows and Android use to use a a system called Miracast, or Wi-Fi Direct, ( not to sure if there's anything newer) Does Linux Lite have this Option ( dont ask me where to look, I don't know) tried looking it up but all searches point all sorts of rubbish nothing specific.

Have you tried other Versions Of Linux ? The Lite "May" be so cut down its missing the options -- Just a thought. ?? Since it works on your wifes computer then its not the TV.

Just some reading on Miracast https://www.dignited.com/25847/what-...ginners-guide/
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Your TV is an LG 55SM8100PVA, which I believe uses a variation of miracast (wifi direct/display).

The only screen sharing/casting I have seen being worked on was gnome screencast. I have not actually tested casting to my lg tv on linux but i will give this a try later.

This maybe a step in the right direction for you.

Not forgeting this Linux system will cast to a Chromecast on another non smart tv.

Older by the minute

OK this is from Ubuntu so may not work for you. I asked Google "Cast from Linux to LG Smart TV". https://askubuntu.com/questions/9890...my-lg-smart-tv

chromecast and airplay work differently but with the same goal of casting.

It sounds like you need miraclecast. I am 6 hours away from trying this out but be interested to know if you get it working.

My TV is an LG (WebOS) 55UJ634V which supports intel widi and miracast.

I have looked at openwfd, aethercast, wds, miraclecast and gnome-network-displays.

gnome-network-displays seems further along than the others and may have actually worked if I used gnome(-shell), which I don't believe any of my machines actually run gnome.

wds uses connman not network-manager (which majority of linux uses) so again, without switching one for the other, I did not progress far with this but considering the source code is from intel, that it probably would work but requires changing what I use to manage networks, not that this would be an issue, just that I can't be bothered doing that on a production machine.

miraclecast is still very experimental, with source (p2p) not ready.

With saying all this. I guess my next step would be to create a test system, one that runs gnome to try gnome-network-displays out and another to use connman instead of network-manager. These seem like the best possibilities of getting it to work but not really ideal because of what is required.

Older by the minute

Sounds like you might just have to attach your laptop directly to the TV when you want to see the content from it (or go back to Windows 10).

Quote Originally Posted by Driftwood View Post
    Maybe, but my main intention is to cast DVD'S from this laptop to the smart TV.
    So thats why I have VLC player.
    Bugger. We had this hassle. My brother has his church stuff, he could download and cast or cast from Chrome. Chrome, no problem. Casting the file, what a pita.
    There are suggestions for VLC, not only the newer version, but tweaks. I did most of them and still had this hassle.

There is actual software available, I forget what it's called and I didn't try it, it was a hassle to install (from the instructions) so he just casts from website now instead.

But with a DVD you can't do that....
    Or....can you make the DVD play in Chrome??? If you can, well.
    If not, good luck.
    Ex-pctek

Because you are running Linux Lite, I am going to assume that maybe the specs of this laptop are on the lower end. So switching from XFCE to Gnome may not be the way to go.

I also do not think trying an alternative means would be good but I will suggest it anyways. Turning the laptop or your router into a DLNA Server, Ripping the DVD and serving that to the TV. I believe the TV can access DLNA servers. The benefit to this method is any device capable of connecting to it over the network can access your stored videos, as well as pictures and music if you share those too.

Another option, ripping the DVD to a USB storage and just plugging that into the TV. Saves damaging the DVD in the long run.

Anyways, I think your best option to get it working with your distribution will have to be with wds. The problem is, switching from Network-Manager to ConnMan. You can potentially lose your internet, that may get you stuck.

So later tonight, I'll install ConnMan, disable Network-Manager and try using wds to connect to my tv. I do not have a Debian based distribution but I definitely have machines running XFCE, so apart from the difference in getting/building packages. It should be similar in the method of getting ConnMan to work.

I'll also look into VLC, since I never attempted that method before, as that may even be an easier option.

You are right I am using my wifes old Toshiba Satelite L300.

I have now swapped out the hard drive with the original which has Windows 10 installed.
    So are having a bit more success there but it's so slow.
    Can cast from you tube & from a stored video, but same issue with dvd's in the drive.
    Can't cast from VLC or WMP.

With the previous non smart tv I had it connected via cables to a pc.
    Bought the new one to do away with the pc & cables.