Question Domain Hosting Providers

Hello,

I've had a quick search but didn't find any recent topics on this subject.

Who do you recommend for domain and DNS hosting for .co.nz TLDs? I'd normally use Namecheap but can't with this TLD. Route 53 is another option but it is quite expensive. The domain is currently with CrazyDomains and I probably need say no more.

Cheers for any input.
    Last edited by WarNox; 25-05-2020 at 01:31 PM.

Default Re: Domain Hosting Providers

Domains - anyone you like.
    Hosting, all depends what you want. Doesn't have to be the same place as your domain, you just point the domain to the hosting.

I use 1st Domains now.
    Ex-pctek

What problems have you had with CrazyDomains? I have been with them for a long time but I know things can change. Not that I contact them a lot. I only use them for nz domain names however, not hosting.

For hosting, I normally go VPS/Cloud and setup my servers myself. I used Hetzner Online but again, At the time I used them they were good but it could have all changed by now.

I've had Domains4Less doing my hosting. Generally, once things are set up it's trouble free... HOWEVER, I've also had 2 occasions where the billing / receipting side of things got messed up, and despite being all paid up they cut me off, then took more than a week to sort out their own mistake... a mistake I'd pointed out to them more than a month earlier, which was acknowledged but not fixed.

I'd have a tech acknowledging the issue twice, but failing to correct the issue, deferring it to the billing department. Hellishly frustrating, especially so as I was expecting a very hefty invoice during the time they had cut my email off.

I forget the name of D4L's parent company (Umbrella I think), but if you go digging you'll find they're almost a monopoly for hosting in NZ, providing hosting under a wide number of names.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul.Cov View Post
    I've had Domains4Less doing my hosting. . HOWEVER, I've also had 2 occasions where the billing / receipting side of things got messed up, and despite being all paid up they cut me off, then took more than a week to sort out their own mistake... a mistake I'd pointed out to them more than a month earlier, which was acknowledged but not fixed.
    I forget the name of D4L's parent company (Umbrella I think), but if you go digging you'll find they're almost a monopoly for hosting in NZ, providing hosting under a wide number of names.

Yes Umbrella now. Used to be Webdrive. Webdrive Openhost, D4L and I forget the 4th one...all the same parent company.
    They suck now with customer service.

Try
    https://webkiwi.co.nz/best-web-hosting-nz/ List here
    Ex-pctek

1) pick on cost alone. |
    2) Find that the hosting service pretends to be NZ based , but is actually overseas based .
    3) find that their website portal is full of bugs so you cant change DNS records without contacting them
    4) find it almost impossible to ring & talk to their support
    5) find they have poor English (see 2) , so struggle trying to talk to them & tell them what you need done
    6) find they are onselling someones elses NZ domain service anyway.

Ive had this , often , when people go for cheap hosting services . When you have an issue, expect alot of pain & frustration .
    One client had his domain down for over a week because the hosting service was so damn hard to deal with , domain down = email down .

Why not pay a bit more & use a actual NZ company for you NZ domain.
    Pick a hosting company that is actually authorised to ~sell~ NZ domains
    https://dnc.org.nz/registrars

btw, I fully understand why you want to change from that particular hosting service (from when I had to deal with them)

Ive found https://www.freeparking.co.nz/ to be easy to deal with , the hosting tech support are actually kiwis (or sound like kiwis)
    Last edited by 1101; 26-05-2020 at 09:57 AM.

Thanks for all the responses. By hosting, I actually meant just the domain registration, not any services (I use Azure/AWS for that). Ended up leaving the domain with CrazyDomains but moved DNS to Namecheap.

CrazyDomains, not the first time they've done something stupid, but this time they assured me nothing would stop working if I cancelled the Linux hosting service (specifically mentioning DNS multiple times). I didn't trust them at the time so I took screenshots of all the records and what do you know; once they removed the hosting, DNS got deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by WarNox View Post
    .... but moved DNS to Namecheap.

replaced one cheapy service with another ? :-)

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.namecheap.com
    https://hostingfacts.com/hosting-reviews/namecheap/

yes
    Why do Domain Name Services say they give you goo dsrevice, when all they do is set it up once, and then surely there is no more work for them ever
    Side from sending you the bill next year.
    So what colour is your Adkaf?
    Have you joined Proud to Be Kiwi yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    yes
    Why do Domain Name Services say they give you goo dsrevice, when all they do is set it up once, and then surely there is no more work for them ever
    Side from sending you the bill next year.
    Many can also provide other services linked to the Domain name .
    eg, website hosting , email hosting, help with changing DNS records etc , help with setting up websites , even cloud based servers .