Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LED bulbs

Default LED bulbs

We have a night light in our hallway, which activates at night when the hall lights are off. Recently the incandescent bulb in an enclosed fitting nearby died. I replaced it with an LED, but now the night light doesn't go off when the LED is switched on. Is it the LED frequency or what? It is not a problem, I am just curious.

Default Re: LED bulbs

You can't swap it like that.
    Buy another....my brother uses one in hallway (I hate it - but he needs it), and he had that issue. He bought another - LED type - and it has replacable bulbs so we don't have that hassle now. From Mitre10.
    Ex-pctek

Re Member

It's probably leakage current triggering the led.The ordinary lamp draws more current to get it working, so when you fit an led there's less resistance in the lamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Brucem View Post
    We have a night light in our hallway, which activates at night when the hall lights are off. Recently the incandescent bulb in an enclosed fitting nearby died. I replaced it with an LED, but now the night light doesn't go off when the LED is switched on. Is it the LED frequency or what? It is not a problem, I am just curious.
    see if i can decipher this.
    you have a night light in a hallway, i presume one that plugs into a power socket. you replaced the hallway light bulb to an led type but now the night light won't turn off when you turn the hallway light on.

led's do have a frequency range, typically called "warm white" or "cool white".
    not sure on the sensors used in the night light but it could be they are tuned more for yellow light (warm white) and your using a "cool white" led.
    the other possibility is led's can be a lot more directional so not splashing enough light down at the floor level and the night light sensor is not pointing towards the light.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Quote Originally Posted by tweak'e View Post
    led's do have a frequency range, typically called "warm white" or "cool white".
    not sure on the sensors used in the night light but it could be they are tuned more for yellow light (warm white) and your using a "cool white" led.
    the other possibility is led's can be a lot more directional so not splashing enough light down at the floor level and the night light sensor is not pointing towards the light.
    No he used the wrong bulb. It might fit but it's wrong. We tried it...had some small ones that did fit but same issue. We now have a nightlight that takes replacable bulbs - LED ones too.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    No he used the wrong bulb. It might fit but it's wrong. We tried it...had some small ones that did fit but same issue. We now have a nightlight that takes replacable bulbs - LED ones too.
    how is the bulb "wrong" ?
    Tweak it till it breaks

Thanks for the replies, it is only a query because I like to know how things work (or don't). The LED that I put in the ceiling fitting is an "ecolux" 9W Warm White 3000 degrees Kelvin, with 200 degree beam. (ex Mitre 10). The night light is OSRAM Lunetta 0.4W (again from Mitre 10). The ceiling fitting is a moulded glass ball about 200mm diameter.

VoidMaster

Try pointing the night light sensor towards the LED bulb on the ceiling LED light. LED lights are not full spectrum like incandescent bulbs and daylight, maybe getting more LED light on the sensor will be sufficient to switch it off when the LED light is on. I have one of those nightlights under the table by where I have a mains switched plugbox so I can see what is on and off on the switched plugbox at night when it is dark under the table.

The night light that piroska is talking about should have an incandescent bulb in it to work, that is an older model and nowadays they have an array of LEDs which are long lasting and should not need to ever be replaced.

I have had both types, they cost around $7.50 to $10.00 as new, get the LED type they are much better.

My understanding is that the bulb that has been replaced is in the ceiling light and not the night light one anyway.
    Last edited by zqwerty; 20-05-2020 at 12:46 PM.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by tweak'e View Post
    how is the bulb "wrong" ?
    Not being an electrician I can't tell you exactly. I just know the bulb has to be right for the thing it's plugged into. Wattage perhaps?

If it's wrong it lights up, but won't be off when light and on when dark. Cause we had that issue...I'd used some led bulbs that fit, but wrong.
    We bought a new one and some replaceable bulbs...I don't know what th difference was now, it was a while ago...probably too high a wattage or whatever.
    Ex-pctek

just looking at a couple of basic diagrams, i think i might know whats happening.
    basically the on/off circuit has its current going through the bulb, which is so low it doesn't light.
    with the led, there is enough current going through that on/off circuit to actually light it.

you could fix it by fitting a resistor parallel with the led.

some info here https://youtu.be/_AuC5dlJB3E
    Tweak it till it breaks