Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So excited!

Default Re: So excited!

Remember years ago when Lightscribe Drives came out and ended up paying over $300 for it ,crazy

Think I ended up printing about 6 disks in the end

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    Remember years ago when Lightscribe Drives came out and ended up paying over $300 for it ,crazy

Think I ended up printing about 6 disks in the end
    You beat me by 2

Ken
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

I do remember the first CDwriters....someone I knew bought one, for an insane amount of money (over $1000) and we'd get him to burn CDs for us.
    No idea now...last time I looked it was about $30 and that was quite a while ago.
    Ex-pctek

Remember Zip drives?

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    Remember Zip drives?
    I remember the infamous 'click of death' issue with them

I paid $400 for my first rewritable CD Drive. So long ago.

I also remember When music CD's started having copy protection built in, they wouldnt play in my car audio on on my Hifi CD player .
    So I had to copy them to get rid of the copy protection so I could play them . makes perfect sense

My cousin had one of the Sony Music CD's that put a rootkit on his pc , from its copy protection. He was p8ssed off to say the least.
    Store bought Music CD's that would hack your Windows with a rootkit :copy protection taken too far .

I started with a CD writer that connected to a soundblaster sound card with a proprietary cable and you couldn't afford to even move the mouse or you'd cause a buffer underrun and the disk would be wasted.
    Also had a DVD reader that had Video Decoder card with it a few years later. And yes I still have a lightscribe drive too. Never ended up using the blank disks because I never wanted to waste them. Kinda like a bunch of Blank CD's I still have that are made to look like vinyl records, never burnt them because it seemed like a waste.

Optical storage used to be one of the cheaper options, but that's not been true for a long time now so I just use hard drives.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    I started with a CD writer that connected to a soundblaster sound card with a proprietary cable and you couldn't afford to even move the mouse or you'd cause a buffer underrun and the disk would be wasted.
    Also had a DVD reader that had Video Decoder card with it a few years later. And yes I still have a lightscribe drive too. Never ended up using the blank disks because I never wanted to waste them. Kinda like a bunch of Blank CD's I still have that are made to look like vinyl records, never burnt them because it seemed like a waste.

Optical storage used to be one of the cheaper options, but that's not been true for a long time now so I just use hard drives.
    Ah those were the days, glad computer drives etc have moved on. Yes I remember buffer underuns. I remember those Verbatim CDs that looked like 45rpm records.
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

I have a bunch of those 'record' CD's that a friend burnt for me from her collection. I still play CD's at home as they sound so good on my home stereo compared to playing them on my computer even when ripped as flac as comp speakers are crap compared to what I have on the stereo.

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    I do remember the first CDwriters....someone I knew bought one, for an insane amount of money (over $1000) and we'd get him to burn CDs for us.
    No idea now...last time I looked it was about $30 and that was quite a while ago.
    I got one of those (somewhere in the workshop) and yep it was that price, its a HP External CD Writer, a whole 2x speed

As for CD only writers, they are almost impossible to find they are DVD or Blu-ray These days. On saying that got two (maybe 3) Brand new Samsung CD ( Only) writers still in the box IDE interface.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.