Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: External HDD issue

Quote Originally Posted by decibel View Post
    Off-the-original-topic, but I see in another forum some-one suggesting Jellyfin as an open-source alternative to Plex.

Any one here using it?
    i've been reading up on that one their subreddit. Looks interesting.
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

JOIN THE FREE FORUMS!!!!!!

When windows suggests formating it usually means its having trouble with understanding the partition information.

Did you try a different cable?

Anyways, getting the drive out of its enclosure and connecting it directly in the computer isn't a bad idea. If this shows up then the actual fault could be the USB controller that plugged into the drive making it an external drive. These fail all the time.

If still no go, then I definitely would suggest linux, the information you get from just plugging it in usually will pinpoint the fault. If no fault seen, back up the drive, it maybe dying.

I re-read this, sorry I briefly read over these when I'm on my phone.

So you used Linux and it popped up fine. What I would do then, is run TestDisk and fix the partition table for it. I would assume that the drive partition is msdos/mbr, so all this information exists in the first 512 bytes of the hard drive (boot sector) and repairing it should not result in any data loss (my own experience) but it is always a good idea to back it up just incase.

Instead of explaining how you go about it, here's the guide by them and the community: https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step If you read their case, you will see that the error you are experiencing is mentioned as what you may encounter when the partition table is corrupted.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Drives fail simple as that. linux may be able to see it because it uses a different file system to Windows, its possible there are bad sectors on the Drive thats causing windows not to see the drive correctly.

1st thing I would do, is if linux can read and see the contents use it to copy the data off to a safe location, BEFORE you start fiddling trying to fix the drive.

AFTER you have saved the data, you can run chkdsk via CMD instructions here: https://www.diskpart.com/articles/my...tted-7201.html
    So i've just run the chkdsk command per the instructions you linked.

"Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems"

and

"It found 0KB in bad sectors"

Where to from here? do you recommend trying that software AOMEI Partition Assistant from that link also?
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

JOIN THE FREE FORUMS!!!!!!

Computers do a soft shutdown. Which means parts of it still has power. This is mostly for wake on signals, usb ports may still be live. Switch off at wall and push power button to discharge if you want it to be completely off.

Is Windows now seeing that drive? chkdsk does not work on RAW partitions, so the file system must exist (NTFS/FAT) and if that is the case, it is working. So are you checking if it is faulty now?

Quote Originally Posted by GameJunkie View Post
    So i've just run the chkdsk command per the instructions you linked.
    "Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems"
    and
    "It found 0KB in bad sectors"

Where to from here? do you recommend trying that software AOMEI Partition Assistant from that link also?
    Use diskpart & do a 'clean' to completely wipe the drive
    Then in diskmanagement , re-partition & format
    Also, run the manufacturers HD test software on the drive.

Your issues are common symptoms of a failing drive . Failing HD's can still pass chkdsk & failing HD's can still pass HD tests .
    There is a chance your drive is failing . If you cant get Win to reliably use it , its time to replace it .

There was allways the chance it somehow was accidently formated to a Linux partition , that would explain a few things (unlikely though)
    It could also be issues with USB2 port & a USB3 drive (or vice versa) . or just flaky USB ports, Unlikely but can happen .
    My work PC has real issues with some(not all) USB3 flash drives(sticks)

how to use use diskaprt to wipe the HD
    https://winaero.com/blog/securely-wi...rt-windows-10/

Then repartition & format .

It that doesnt work , replace the HD . USB drives fail more often than internal HD's (from what Ive seen)

So I connected the drive to my PC again and opened up disk manager.

It can see the drive and that it has files on it, but I shows the drive format as RAW.

I've moved everything off the drive and will format it.

The drive should be still fine though?

Who knows . Its allready given you serious issues .
    May be OK, may fail anytime in the next year .
    Download manufacturers HD Test software & run full (not quick) tests

I wouldnt trust it for anything important . You will of course be backing it up though

So I connected the drive to my PC again and opened up disk manager.

It can see the drive and that it has files on it, but I shows the drive format as RAW.

I've moved everything off the drive and will format it.

As I said previously, RAW is probably related to a corrupt Partition Table and correcting that should tell Windows the correct File System on it without losing any data. TestDisk is a good utility for fixing partition tables. Formatting will fix it too but you will lose data.

The only other time I have encountered RAW is when the USB controller (the board inside the enclosure) is not working correctly which you could replace or reseat if it has come loose. Formatting in this state will not fix it.