Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation External HDD issue

Hi,

So this morning after booting my main PC on and connecting my 4 external drives which store my media on them, one of the drives is not showing up correctly/at all, but it was connected and working just fine yesterday.

The drive is a 6TB WD My Book that no longer shows in windows explorer.

After turning on the power, the following messages appear:

"You need to format the disk in drive G: before you can use it. Do you want to format it?"

when i click cancel (because it holds a large portion of my media collection), it says "G:\ is not accessible. The volume does not contain a recognised file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted".

I've tried connecting it to each of the front panel USB3 ports, but get the same messages.

I did connect this drive to my Laptop running Linux (Pop! OS), and the drive shows up and I can play the media files just fine.

My 3 other external drives show up just fine, however they are connected to the USB ports on the motherboard directly.

I can try the 6TB on those ports, but what are my options here?

Thanks.
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

JOIN THE FREE FORUMS!!!!!!

Default Re: External HDD issue

NEVER have backup drives permanently connected.
    For instance you get a power surge - it would take out the lot...or as has happened to a friend of mine, Windows had a hissy, she lost her install as well as the connected backup drive data...she wasn't able to retrieve it all either.

Take the drive out of it's enclosure and connect it via sata to the motherboard (Don't need to actually install it physically. That will tell you if the drive itself is dead or if it's just the enclosure/usb.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    NEVER have backup drives permanently connected.
    For instance you get a power surge - it would take out the lot...or as has happened to a friend of mine, Windows had a hissy, she lost her install as well as the connected backup drive data...she wasn't able to retrieve it all either.

Take the drive out of it's enclosure and connect it via sata to the motherboard (Don't need to actually install it physically. That will tell you if the drive itself is dead or if it's just the enclosure/usb.
    The drive is always connected via USB but not left powered on when the PC is off.

As i've said the drive shows up and i can play media when its connected to my laptop running linux.

I've also just tried a USB port on the back of my PC, and the same error messages appear.

I will attempt your solution when i can.

Cheers.
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Drives fail simple as that. linux may be able to see it because it uses a different file system to Windows, its possible there are bad sectors on the Drive thats causing windows not to see the drive correctly.

1st thing I would do, is if linux can read and see the contents use it to copy the data off to a safe location, BEFORE you start fiddling trying to fix the drive.

AFTER you have saved the data, you can run chkdsk via CMD instructions here: https://www.diskpart.com/articles/my...tted-7201.html
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by GameJunkie View Post
    The drive is always connected via USB but not left powered on when the PC is off.
    Unplug them when not in use.
    as I said...........
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Unplug them when not in use.
    as I said...........
    Yep that's spot on doesn't matter if its powered on or not, if there's some sort of Surge ANYTHING connected on or not can fry.

Backup drives should only be used for that, backing up or temp storage to take someplace else. At the end of the day the drives inside all of them either 3.5 or 2.5" are ONLY the same drives that are in your computer, and subject to the same failures.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Drives fail simple as that. linux may be able to see it because it uses a different file system to Windows, its possible there are bad sectors on the Drive thats causing windows not to see the drive correctly.

1st thing I would do, is if linux can read and see the contents use it to copy the data off to a safe location, BEFORE you start fiddling trying to fix the drive.

AFTER you have saved the data, you can run chkdsk via CMD instructions here: https://www.diskpart.com/articles/my...tted-7201.html
    That's what im doing now.

I have a 4TB portal external that i'll copy some stuff too, and borrow another for the rest of it, and try that link/format the drive.

Windows can be more fussy the Linux on failing / corrupt drives.
    I often try Linux first when trying to get data off failing drives

Run some HD tests on that drive . Keep in mind it should no longer be trusted for important data even if it passes HD tests.
    If important , data stored on USB HD's needs to be backed up

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Windows can be more fussy the Linux on failing / corrupt drives.
    I often try Linux first when trying to get data off failing drives

Run some HD tests on that drive . Keep in mind it should no longer be trusted for important data even if it passes HD tests.
    If important , data stored on USB HD's needs to be backed up
    Yep will do.

It's one of my media drives.

I've been wanting to have a dedicated Plex system for all my media. perhaps this has brought that forward?

Cheers.

Old dick-head

Quote Originally Posted by GameJunkie View Post
    I've been wanting to have a dedicated Plex system for all my media. perhaps this has brought that forward?....
    Off-the-original-topic, but I see in another forum some-one suggesting Jellyfin as an open-source alternative to Plex.

Any one here using it?