Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: External HDD issue

So after rebuiling my PC ( it started to BSOD), I connected the 6TB drive to it, and it showed with everything on it.

Could've been the older installation of windows that was the issue?
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

JOIN THE FREE FORUMS!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GameJunkie View Post
    So after rebuiling my PC ( it started to BSOD), I connected the 6TB drive to it, and it showed with everything on it.

More like the 6TB drive is stuffed.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    More like the 6TB drive is stuffed.

It is a brand new Mobo though (strix x570-e)
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

JOIN THE FREE FORUMS!!!!!!

It is a brand new Mobo though (strix x570-e)
    Doesn't mean anything if the actual Drive you attached is faulty.

I used to have a 2.5" Enclosure, and if I plugged it into ANY PC within a few seconds the Computer freezes, unplug it and away it goes again. That indicates the drive is faulty someplace.

The only way it can be the old installation is if there something running or trying to be accessed on the old drive causing it to crash.

Treat that drive as 'stuffed' untill proven otherwise .
    What test tools have you run across it. not just scandisk.
    Again, download the manufacturers test software & run FULL(not quick) tests on it.

Even then , if HD's pass all tests , they can still be faulty and fail in a week or 6 months (once bitten sort of thing)
    How valuable is that data you want to put on it. You can allways take the risk if its no biggie if it fails/corrupts again

VoidMaster

When he plugged it into the older computer the HDD would not work correctly, he assumed the external HDD was faulty, however subsequently the older computer failed so he assembled a new computer and found to his surprise that the previously assumed faulty HDD seemed to work correctly in the new computer leading to the possible conclusion that perhaps the external HDD was not faulty at all and it was the failed computer (assumed to be ok at the time) that made the HDD look as if it was faulty.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

I don't disagree with any of the suggestions in this thread, but I would like to say sometimes it's just a corruption of the data with no obvious hardware issue. Sometimes it happens, maybe windows doesn't shut down gracefully and leaves a write operation incomplete, or a random data glitch corrupts just the wrong bit of data, or whatever. But sometimes after you fix the corruption everything works fine for years.

On the other hand I have a 4 bay external USB3 drive enclosure I stopped using because on 2 occasions the second bay suddenly did exactly what you describe and showed as RAW. Now I don't trust it at all. putting the drive in a spare bay in my pc and thoroughly testing it showed no issues at all I I kept using it after that for a long time.

And another comment, taking the drive out of the enclosure can be a good test, but some models from some manufacturers are encrypted and can't be read this way.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

The bottom line is
    how important is your data & docs .
    Do you want to take the risk.

It could have been just a glitch causing corruption . It could have just as easily been hardware faults .
    the drive has to be thoroughly tested before going any further .

This issue seems vaguely familiar to an issue I've had in the past, but I can't recall the exact hardware, or the solution.

I'm thinking it related to the USB cable being too long (or faulty), with a different cable resolving the issue.

Another thought though, is whether the OPs drive is mains powered or USB powered. I'd immediately suspect the MOBO is failing to sufficiently power the drive if it is USB powered. Having all those other drives drawing energy probably isn't helping either.