Default Combine 2 pictures into 1

I'm Win 10 (64) V`1909 -up to date.

I tried the YouTube , etc -with Paint -no luck extending the area to shift the second photo into space.
    I then tried Paint 3D. More or less success and I can save it as a Paint 3D project.
    BUT
    When I reopen the project showing the combined picture and select Save as (defaults to jpg) nothing happens - I cannot find it in Explorer to locate where to place it. I want to be able to send the picture to someone else.

I must be missing a critical step.
    Guidance please

Default Re: Combine 2 pictures into 1

I suggest you try GIMP, as good as Photoshop but no cost to download and use.

paint.net should do the job. Free program.

To be honest, I have no idea what you are trying to do by what you have explained.

So this is what I think you are doing, you have 2 pictures, with 1 picture you are trying to increase the workspace/document size, or at least give space so you can insert the other picture in that space provided? Maybe a side by side picture?

If thats the case, then what you should do is create a new workspace large enough to insert both pictures into it, on seperate floating layers so you can position them where you want. You then export it as whatever image format (jpg, png, etc) you require and the result will be just a single image of both pictures. You can then save the project incase you need to make changes and just export them when you need the single picture.

If that is not what you are trying to do, maybe point me to the idea that you have and someone maybe able to explain what you need to do.

I ended up resorting to a more tech savvy friend .He combined them fine . His method below:

Something like this? The main problem is that the smaller image has a lot of white space on the right, which needs cropping before you can place the other one beside it. You can do that in Paint, but I used PowerPoint. Load the first image, crop, load the second, size and position, select both and group them – then you can save back as a JPG. You could use Word, but PowerPoint gives finer control for lining up the images.

I would have probably never thought of using an office application unless I was actually adding images to a document. I am just going to explain how I would do this in Gimp 2.10 on Linux (Should be the same for Windows). It may not be simple but when using professional graphic programs you usually are not going to be doing simple tasks and would probably use a much leaner program similar to Paint to achieve this. I know Paint can do this from using it years ago.

In Gimp, you open both images you want. You want to be looking at the image you want to crop. For this, I would just use the rectangle selection tool and select only the part of the image I want to keep. I would then COPY it. I'll switch over to the other image. I'll PASTE this as a new layer. I'll then MOVE this new layer to where I want it, now because it'll be moving outside the canvas (visible area) you will only see the layer boundary (the outline) outside the canvas. Line it up how you want it, then you go into the Image > Resize canvas to layers and your canvas will now expand to fit the other layer. Ensure that the image looks correct, it's lined up properly and now we go File > Export as... to save the new image, pick whatever file format you want to save it as, PNG is my preferred.

I would not say this is simple, but this is how I would accomplish it.