Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Is this the end of 'free' press in NZ?

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Yes, it is possible to read "some" of the news on Granny Herald - for more indepth news, you have to subscribe - ie pay $$$

At the moment, it is possible to read all the articles on Stuff without having to part with your hard earned $$$$$$

Do you honestly think it will remain that way if NZME get their sticky fingers into the trough?
    Read your own signature Zippity - you aren't entitled to reading their content for free. In fact, for almost all of history you've had to pay to read newspaper content. I assume when you do work and get paid you view yourself as "having your sticky fingers in the trough". For a free market advocate you seem pretty heavily aginst letting a company set their own business model and prices.

Too damn bad, get it the way others do - pay for it. What absolute hypocricy.

Quote Originally Posted by WalOne View Post
    A compliant fourth estate that does not challenge a government is frankly just not doing it's job. In NZ we are being "served" by foreign owned entities that manipulate public opinion to serve their own purpose(s) ...
    I completely agree. I also wish they'd stop running so many "comment" or "opinion" pieces - stick to hard hitting factually accurate reporting, and let people draw their own conclusions.

A compliant fourth estate that does not challenge a government is frankly just not doing its job.

Apologies to the apostrophe police ...

Now corrected ... in mitigation, that stray apostrophe appeared courtesy of spellcheck.

I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Nick G View Post
    Read your own signature Zippity - you aren't entitled to reading their content for free. In fact, for almost all of history you've had to pay to read newspaper content. I assume when you do work and get paid you view yourself as "having your sticky fingers in the trough". For a free market advocate you seem pretty heavily aginst letting a company set their own business model and prices.

Read it again

"If Fawlty Towers is now being removed by the BBC then humour is dead. The puritans are winning because the establishment is weak and has no self confidence."

Nigel Farage@Nigel_Farage· Jun 12

you aren't entitled to reading their content for free..
    He isn’t. I am.
    As I said, they pinch it off another site - where it is shown free, then have the cheek to charge.
    Ex-pctek

C'mon guys (Nick and Zippity), both of you are level headed and respected commenters; let's settle down.

Could we not be asking questions about, the $50 Million handout the government gave to the media in order it could survive Covid-19?

And, what caveat real or implicit is the trade off here? There's no such thing as a free lunch ...

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

Old guy

C'mon guys (Nick and Zippity), both of you are level headed and respected commenters; let's settle down.

Could we not be asking questions about, the $50 Million handout the government gave to the media in order it could survive Covid-19?

And, what caveat real or implicit is the trade off here? There's no such thing as a free lunch ...
    I wonder if the upcoming election might have something to do with it. No I do not really have the slightest doubt about that.

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    I wonder if the upcoming election might have something to do with it. No I do not really have the slightest doubt about that.
    Clive! You're not suggesting the media is allowing itself to be compromised? That Government is buying favours in order to help it be re-elected at the next election?

Doesn't someone on this forum use the by line to the effect that government can't spend money it hasn't already taken from someone else?

But wait!

If your suggestion is correct, and the hypothesis of where the money comes from in the first place is correct (both of which are indeed correct in my opinion), then it stands to reason that ... wait for it ...

Government is spending taxpayer's (i.e. yours and mine) money in order to get itself re-elected!

Last edited by WalOne; 13-05-2020 at 04:00 PM.

Dr Lester Levy

Leonard Cohen

I note you stopped short of inciting civil disobedience should those draconian measures fail LOL
    Eh? If the nation's patriots do as I suggest, that would be obedience at a highly civil level.
    Remember, America's founders wanted the citizens armed largely to discourage (with extreme prejudice) any government that got uppity or dictatorial. It worked; they haven't had a Muldoon, a Holyoake, an Amin or a Mugabe. Our current press, even free of charges, is still charging well above it's value - and they are most dismayed that the public by and large is not buying their trashy offerings. The press are free to print what they like just as we are free to not buy what we don't like.
    A plague on all their houses ;-)
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.

Firstly, I don't really think Kiwi Keith should be lumped in with those others. However, that's not the point.

You make the point "The press are free to print what they like just as we are free to not buy what we don't like" and is unassailable but has also ignored what I was questioning and I'll repeat the question:

Why has government spent $50 Million of taxpayer money to "rescue" a failing fourth estate?

When the only return would seem to be, support for government in the upcoming election: "money in order to help get itself re-elected".

Last edited by WalOne; 13-05-2020 at 08:42 PM.

Dr Lester Levy

Leonard Cohen