Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default I need some hand-holding please!

My C Drive is chocca and the partition to the right is a 'Healthy(Recovery partition)' - 504MB. I have the latest version of Aomei Partition Assistant (free version) downloaded.

Am I safe to go ahead and ? right click the recovery partition and delete it? I have Windows 10 professional on my desk top - and would be ready to cut my throat if I mess this up. So - I would really appreciate some hand-holding and support through this process.

I won't attempt this tonight, but gather some information (and support, of course) and proceed in the morning - if I feel brave enough.

As always - I appreciate the help and support I get on these forums.
    Now-if I could just remember where I left my brain...

Default Re: I need some hand-holding please!

Wouldn't advise it.

When you look at it 504MB is nothing really.

try these simple ways to gain back some space.

1. In Search, type in Disk -- Select Disk Clean-up - when it gets to the 1st window select Clean up System files

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Disk_Cleanup.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	10288

This alone may very well get you back several GB of space.

Tick everything BUT be careful look to see if DOWNLOADS is Selected, if it is it will wipe everything in the download folder.

2.Check the downloads folder - empty out files you dont need
    3. Check other folders for stuff no longer required - delete them
    4. uninstall any programs you no longer use
    5. Run Ccleaner.

I hear you, I hear you!

Moving right from C Drive, I have the 504MB Healthy (Recovery Partition), then to the right of that I have F Drive (485GB), and to the right of that there is an unallocated space of 195GB.

Would a better option be to move the 504MB Healthy (Recovery Partition) to the right of the unallocated space? It looks as if that is possible to do - and safer!

What I would do, and in this order:

Assuming this is all on One Drive ( so no second drive)

1. Make a Complete Image of the whole system as it currently is to a external HDD (something like Macrium Reflect- as well make the bootable media) . This is in case something goes wrong.
    2. From the Aomei Partition Assistant , make a bootable media ( CD or USB) Boot from the media. In Aomei Right click the 504MB, see if the partition can be moved (it should be able to) Move it to the end of the unallocated space. Apply then reboot, make sure it still boots normally.
    3. Either from the Bootable Media or in the OS open Aomei again and then resize the C drive completely to fill the un-allocated. Apply.
    4. Either method in 3 will require a reboot anyway.
    5. All going well you will boot right back into windows with a larger part ion in C

The reason for rebooting after the 1st move is to make sure the New options are set and work. In the past I have moved, then changed partitions without rebooting in between and have had total failures

As an extra, in case. If you dont know how to image the drive I made a quick video a while back shows installing / imaging to a External HDD>

https://streamable.com/gilwf

Also made a restore Video, its from the actual OS but has to run from a Bootable ( the obne I Told you about in #1 above )

https://streamable.com/7np9s
    Last edited by wainuitech; 08-04-2020 at 08:35 PM.

Until the morning now!

Using the wasted 195GB should help a lot more than the 504MB!!

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by R.M. View Post
    My C Drive is chocca and the partition to the right is a 'Healthy(Recovery partition)' - 504MB.
    504MB?? That's tiny.
    Buy another HDD and install it, then move some stuff over.
    Ex-pctek

Think I mis-Read the drive layout last night ( was watching TV at the same time )

Is this how the partitions are laid out:

Name:	Drive_layout.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	2.5 KB 
ID:	10289

If I did mis-read, then what I suggested wont work. Wouldn't cause any harm just couldn't do it

To move the 504MB partition you have to first get rid of the F partition, as the 504 Needs clear space and F is in the way.

A few options:

Move the F Partition to the far right into the unallocated space ( you can resize that as well, bigger or smaller)then after rebooting move the 504MB to meet the new F, then enlarge the C to fill the un-allocated: for more room on C then move any data ( pictures, files etc to the F drive as storage).

Name:	Partitions_2.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	2.4 KB 
ID:	10290

Another Option:

Delete the F Partition completely, first copy any data in that partition to an external (UNLESS you have moved programs to run from F then you cant do it) Move the 504 to the end of the un-allocated, expand C to fill remainder of space:

Name:	Partitions_3.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.9 KB 
ID:	10291

Then you would end up with :

Name:	Partitions_4.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.5 KB 
ID:	10292
    Last edited by wainuitech; 09-04-2020 at 09:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by R.M. View Post
    I hear you, I hear you!

Moving right from C Drive, I have the 504MB Healthy (Recovery Partition), then to the right of that I have F Drive (485GB), and to the right of that there is an unallocated space of 195GB.

How much free space is on the F: .
    Just another option : You could start moving files docs and photos etc to the F: . Even change the default loaction of My Doc & My Photos

if F: is empty you are better off removing it and making c: bigger via a partition manager program, allways some risk doing that
    The recovery partition isnt needed for Win, but allways the chance you could stuff things up if you remove it .
    The Hard drive layout sounds like a mess , but thats the crazy way some brand name PC's and laptops were setup .

backup data before doing anything

I have a lot of photos... I belong to the local Camera Club, and do a lot of work for them - Club presentations etc. Plus all my own pics over many years now. Mostly all backed up!

I can't buy any more hard drives at the moment - i am not essential, you know. But I do have time to fiddle And I acknowledge that it was probably 'fiddling' that got me into trouble...

I have a couple of presentations to do tonight - and in a different format to what I usually use. Then into the run up to getting ready for tonight, I began to realize that quite a number of entries were vastly undersized... It has been quite a week.

My computer is not a brand one (this is my desktop, I am talking about). It was put together for me to my specifications by Computer Lounge. After back & forwards discussion with them at the time, it was mutually decided that I needed a gaming computer, although I don't game. And it is probably time I upgraded. However, that won't happen until after the lock down has finished.

And I restate - I really appreciate the help I get from this forum when I get myself into strife.