Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Default Re: Worldwide Deaths

Pensioners don't really need more. Ok? My mum, my husband are pensioners.
    If your still rent or have a mortgage, well then it's a problem. But that should be in the realm of accommodation supplements and such. The unemployed and disable on their pittance are far worse off, and ignoring Prefects worldview, many are not there from choice. Especially now.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    Well I see a post advocating to not give them an extra helping hand but give it to another group instead
    Pensioners don't need more. My mum, my husband are pensioners.
    There is no rent or mortgage here and she manages.
    There isn't any great savings either, but hey, that's not necessarily an issue..........you need a roof, food, warmth and all the basics.

You don't need world cruises and big TVs every year.

Those that rent or still pay a mortgage are the ones with a problem, but that comes under the realms of accommodation supplements etc.

Those out of work or with disabilities and health issues are far worse off. Ignoring Prefects worldview of blame, most are not there by choice, especially right now.
    As you see in the news every day now.........
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    Well I see a post advocating to not give them an extra helping hand but give it to another group instead
    If you're talking about my Post #39, what I said was," the elderly's winter heating allowance was unnecessarily doubled - when that could have been allocated to health and education". As a single superannuitant, I was happy with $20 per week - and still am - for the 5 months winter is deemed to last, and I still see no need for that to be doubled to $40. But of course, it is an election year, and vote buying is still rife
    Last edited by WalOne; 13-04-2020 at 03:39 PM.
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

Perhaps they can see this virus is going to go on throughout the winter months and those elderly folk are going to use more power on heating, to be more comfotable.

I for one would love to give the allowance back, but with the cock-up on this new Donations fiasco of inputting receipts online, we still have receipts to come in.

Whether IRD will re-open their site for these is anyone's guess, with what they have to do with Covid payments taxes.

lurking.

VoidMaster

No it's simple, by giving the older people more ability to keep themselves warmer this Winter they avoid more people coming into the hospitals with annoying illnesses taking up beds because they got cold at home and the beds may be needed for Covid patients. Surely ‽‽‽
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post
    No it's simple, by giving the older people more ability to keep themselves warmer this Winter they avoid more people coming into the hospitals with annoying illnesses taking up beds because they got cold at home and the beds may be needed for Covid patients. Surely ‽‽‽
    You got it. That's what the payment was started up for originally. Young chap of 91 yrs next door gets 2 visits a day from the district nurse, all to keep him out of hospital. I give him heaps about being a chick magnet.

Ken
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

Quote Originally Posted by WalOne View Post
    If you're talking about my Post #39, what I said was," the elderly's winter heating allowance was unnecessarily doubled - when that could have been allocated to health and education".
    Yes.
    I agree with that.

I agree with this too:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/hea...th-experts-say

Before she wrecks the economy completely.
    Ex-pctek

They sound a bit like trumpy wanting to get people back to work in the USA as soon as possible, he recanted, when the death toll sky rocketed.

What economy, tourism!. That's already stuffed up the infrastructure Fox Glacier, greedy Queenstown.

All nations will be looking at tourism, especially UK and USA.

lurking.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurking View Post
    They sound a bit like trumpy wanting to get people back to work in the USA as soon as possible, he recanted, when the death toll sky rocketed.

What economy, tourism!. That's already stuffed up the infrastructure Fox Glacier, greedy Queenstown.

All nations will be looking at tourism, especially UK and USA.

lurking.
    USA Deaths per 1million population: 71
    Hardly a skyrocket....

All depends on whether you look at the stats or panic over the dramatization in the media.

OMG some old people in retirement homes have died! Shock!

Director-General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield said the fifth victim of Covid-19 to die from the coronavirus was a man is his 80s, who was being cared for at Burwood Hospital after being transferred from Rosewood Rest Home in Christchurch.
    Ex-pctek

So if the next one was your mum or husband we should just say "tough shite eh"

Ken