Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Default Re: Worldwide Deaths

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Good idea. Then multiply the answer by 1 if you need further convincing.
    There's my problem, I foolishly divided the answer by 1. No wonder I got depressed.
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    I wonder if anyone has statistics on the numbers not killed by road and work accidents or crime because of the lock down. I suspect more lives have been saved than lost. A lot more!
    Well, with the restricted numbers currently available for interview my survey was a bit minimalist but I can state that for SWMBO and I, it was 100% not killed. That's a pretty impressive statistic, however it's going to be very hard to make any improvements from here.
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.

Been reading a book on life 1300-1400.
    Which of course has a chapter on the plague.

Interestingly:

So many sheep died from the Black Death that there was a European wool shortage.

"a great plague of sheep everywhere in the realm, so that in one place there died in one pasturage more than 5000 sheep, and so rotted that neither beast nor bird would touch them. Wherefore many crops perished in the fields for want of some one to gather them; but in the pestilence year, as is above said of other things, there was such abundance of grain that no one troubled about it.

Huh.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    I wonder if anyone has statistics on the numbers not killed by road and work accidents or crime because of the lock down. I suspect more lives have been saved than lost. A lot more!
    I'm with the Don on this one ... but not so much 'fake' news, but too often the incorrect reporting of news. Sometimes deliberate, other times because an inability on the part of those in the media to grasp nuances of the language.

For example, to date we have had two deaths in this country, and every sympathy must go to the bereaved. But it is my understanding these two unfortunate deceased died not of Covid-19, but with it. A big difference, and some accurate use of the language would go a long way to help the country put the situation in perspective.
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by WalOne View Post

For example, to date we have had two deaths in this country, and every sympathy must go to the bereaved. But it is my understanding these two unfortunate deceased died not of Covid-19, but with it. .

Yes, at 90+ years old......

Anyway some more stats, kind of hard to find other countries as yet.

Cases : Deaths : Unemployed

USA 468,895 : 16,697 : 9.95 million

Spain 153,222 : 15,447 : 900,000

France 117,749 : 12,210 : 6.3 million

Germany 118,235 : 2,607 : 2.35 million
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by WalOne View Post
    I'm with the Don on this one ... but not so much 'fake' news, but too often the incorrect reporting of news. Sometimes deliberate, other times because an inability on the part of those in the media to grasp nuances of the language.

For example, to date we have had two deaths in this country, and every sympathy must go to the bereaved. But it is my understanding these two unfortunate deceased died not of Covid-19, but with it. A big difference, and some accurate use of the language would go a long way to help the country put the situation in perspective.
    Then there is "Todays New cases". Well actually they are probably three to five or more days old as that was when the tests were taken. By the time the Media get it and beef it up the patient has probably recovered.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

You know there are now a million people - 41% on the subsidy?
    Bill English has commented today:

"This is not about financial markets; it is about the real world. It can't just be talked up. My personal view is we haven't hit the bottom yet. "

New Zealand, a small country at the end of the world, would eventually need to repair its balance sheet and "all forms of taxes will be on the table".

"New Zealand now has zero net migration, zero tourists, zero foreign students and zero inflow of temporary workers. These flows, which have been drivers of the labour market and the housing market, won't just turn on again," English said.

"Let that sink in. This could be a structural shift. Our economy is not going to fire up again at the flick of a switch."
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    You know there are now a million people - 41% on the subsidy?
    Would someone be good enough to explain this to me?
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Would someone be good enough to explain this to me?
    I presume this quotation from a Stuff opinion piece this morning is where it came from:

More than a million workers 41 per cent of our entire workforce are now being supported by the Government's wage subsidy. In just three weeks, $6.6 billion had been paid out. For context that's $2b more than the Government was planning to spend on all working age benefits jobseekers, disability, sole parent support for the entire year.
    Does this help?
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

Thank you Wal.

"More than a million workers 41 per cent of our entire workforce" makes more sense even though it is probably wrong.