Thread: Laptop opinion

Cool Laptop opinion

Hi all, I hope everyone is coping with this change in our lives at the moment. I just want some advice please. I have a Toshiba Satellite. It has core i7 windows 10. This laptop is so well used and loved that the info on the stickers plus name are gone. I am going to get another one but I read Toshiba no longer make them for home use. I do a lot of downloading and am online a lot. It seems I need tochoose either a business model or a gaming model. I want something faster than what I have. What is peoples opinon or is there another brand better? Thank you for any/all replies.
    Chance is the path God takes when he wishes to remain anonymous.
    Albert Einstein.

Default Re: Laptop opinion

Quote Originally Posted by ollieogg View Post
    Hi all, I hope everyone is coping with this change in our lives at the moment. I just want some advice please. I have a Toshiba Satellite. It has core i7 windows 10. This laptop is so well used and loved that the info on the stickers plus name are gone. I am going to get another one but I read Toshiba no longer make them for home use. I do a lot of downloading and am online a lot. It seems I need tochoose either a business model or a gaming model. I want something faster than what I have. What is peoples opinon or is there another brand better? Thank you for any/all replies.
    Why do stickers matter?
    Gaming....forget laptops.

Other uses, and downloading isn't a use.....Asus. Dell.
    Ex-pctek

So....you want faster than an i7 , why. What are you using it for
    faster than an i7 , better getting your chequebook out & start adding zeros

All the av user really needs on a laptop is an i3 with 8Gb RAM & an SSD

if you want another similar Tosh , buy the Business model if thats all they have (Tecra) .
    Or wait untill after the lockdown & laptop panic buying ,when there will be more stock in NZ

Dell , HP, Toshiba , Asus . Buy any one of those . Make sure it has a 500Gb SSD & 8GB ram . An i3 or i5 is all you need for everyday use

Wanderer

Old how is your dated Toshiba? I have a dated 2nd gen i5 business laptop which I added a ssd and upgraded to 16GB memory. While I've had it sometime. The other week I sourced a new laptop for someone just a modern 8th gen i5 with 8gb and a nvme ssd. So much quicker.

I dun think it's what i7 you have. If it is quite some years old like 5yrs or more then you'll probably see a appreciable difference.

I like Lenovo Thinkpad. Some companies been doing end of finance year discounts. Up to 50% off.

Bleakly Optomistic

Yes, the speeds really affect things, I5 with a decent speed can easily outperform the low spec I7s

I am using ThinkPad T480S and I am quite satisfied with it. You can take it as a choice. Personally, I don't recommend Dell/HP as it is less durable.

Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by oometinz View Post
    I am using ThinkPad T480S and I am quite satisfied with it. You can take it as a choice. Personally, I don't recommend Dell/HP as it is less durable.
    5/6 of my laptops are Thinkpads, the 1 other is a Toshiba Satellite. All pre-owned until some years ago laptops were expensive. Lenovo have corporate laptop - the Thinkpad and the more consumer IdeaPad. With Dell there is the HP Pro Book.

Quote Originally Posted by ollieogg View Post
    Hi all, I hope everyone is coping with this change in our lives at the moment. I just want some advice please. I have a Toshiba Satellite. It has core i7 windows 10. This laptop is so well used and loved that the info on the stickers plus name are gone. I am going to get another laser one but I read Toshiba no longer make them for home use. I do a lot of downloading and am online a lot. It seems I need tochoose either a business model or a gaming model. I want something faster than what I have. What is peoples opinon or is there another brand better? Thank you for any/all replies.
    Since I have a particular interest in Asus laptops, Until now I had 2 laptops that both of them were from this brand. I bought this model ASUS FX570UD - F - 15-inch Laptop as a gaming laptop and I can say that it has a relatively lower build quality than the gaming laptops with the higher prices and its body is made of plastic, which in my opinion is okay and makes the laptop lighter, but the graphics are great and it makes it fun to play, and costs about $600. My recommendation is ASUS FX570UD
    Last edited by aradii; 23-04-2020 at 10:54 PM.