Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Upgrading Notebook from W10 x 64 Home v 1709 to W10 X64 Pro v 1909

Hi
    Have a lady friend in Uruguay has an HP 14-ac101la Notebook, bought new with W10 x64 Home on it. Version is 1709. There is a Windows Update to v1903 Home that she hasn't updated to. I am thinking of doing that for her sometime in the next 12 hours using Team Viewer
    but her Internet speed is so damn slow that she cannot play FB Criminal Case game! I looked today at her computer in Team Viewer. CPU running 80%-100%, 45% RAM used, Internet Receive speed a pathetic 8Kbps... she gets Internet to her Modem via WiFi and connects her device to Modem using Ethernet.
    About 5-6 days ago she posted a Question in her FB asking others in South America if they were experiencing the same as she was, Her Cousin is technician and replied TCP/IP Overloaded, about to explode. Everyone in lockdown and Covid-19 panic at home, all online. Worse than the Bulk buyers emptying the shelves by the truckload and then Selling for Massive profits on Amazon or street corners!
    I digress: back to the purpose of my Thread.

I am considering upgrading her OS to W10 x 64 Pro which can be done but I have a few questions:
    1/ The notebook came with W10 Home installed, is it OEM and does she have a Digital License or a Product Key ( I will ask her to find the COA and give me the stated key) She needs a legit key to do an Upgrade to Pro and I assume what she has is legit and Activated because she has been using the device for 2-3 years without issues and it is fully updated ( apart from the update to W10 Home v 1903)
    2/ IF I do proceed with the upgrade OS to Pro using the Media Creation Tool, what would be the best methods and steps to getting her Device running W10 x 64 Pro v 1909, latest build?
    .... do the update to v1903 Home, then Upgrade Home to W10 x64 Pro v 1903 and then upgrade to v1909? ( all x64Bit)
    .... OR, upgrade from Home v1709 to either Pro 1903/1909??? Saving ALL Apps and Docs etc.
    I will be doing the Upgrade on a slow as a wet week internet via TeamViewer, I know that the upgrade will restart her device at some point and TeamViewer connection will be lost ( BUT I do get a window asking if I want to auto reconnect to her device when it restarts). IF I cannot get reconnected, from my experience
    installing / upgrading version W10 to my PC, when the PC restarts it continues and it is at the final "Getting things ready" Stage and checking Graphics etc etc and the final Create a User Name etc. She can do that

I have checked to see if her Device has the Power/resources/ requirements to be able to run W10 x64 Pro and it has.... the CPU (1.6GHz Intel Celeron N3050 Processor with Turbo Boost Technology up to 2.16GHz Dual Core) is capable, the On-board 2GB DDR3L SDRAM just makes it to the 100% line, but the Intel HD graphics is insufficient, working from a check I did using a Gaming site
    to check her devices abilities, and that site set her Display/ Screen Size to 1920x1080 and for me to change that to the screensize/display of her device (14.0-inch diagonal HD BrightView WLED-backlit display (1366 x 768) ), I had to log in to do it and I am not a member of that Game Site, so the result showed there was a Bottleneck. I thinking the screensize (1980x1020) that the game site gave was for that which is for my PC because it is the Resolution that I have. Dunno for sure.

I add a few links and a pic of the result to check if her device has the oomph for x64 W10 Pro (1903/1909)I think it has but perhaps a RAM boost to 4GB at least would be a benefit. As for the Graphics, as they are onboard I don't think that can be given an upgrade, unfortunately.

All advice and replies appreciated and thanks in advance.
    Y'all be staying at home and Safe.

Cheers
    Garry

https://support.hp.com/ie-en/document/c04770481

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ng-home-to-pro
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RESULT IF CAN RUN W10 X64 PRO.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	10262  
    Last edited by kioti; 31-03-2020 at 08:44 PM. Reason: change pic and spelling

Older by the minute

Default Re: Upgrading Notebook from W10 x 64 Home v 1709 to W10 X64 Pro v 1909

Hi Garry. To start, I don't think you can "upgrade" from Home to Pro, they are separate beasts. The Pro content is not that important over the Home offering anyway.

Why not upgrade her Home system to 1909 first and see how it goes. If you still want to go down the Pro road you could then decide after the upgrade if it is worth it. Check Google to see if the differences are worth the consideration.

I agree with Bryan. She will gain no advantage from Pro and you will be entering into a more dodgy support task.

She and you have to accept that her low powered comp, and bad Internet connection, are something you can't improve.

Be careful is my advice. You don't want to trigger a situation that is difficult to repair remotely.

Upgrading from Home to Pro is just a case of changing the product key in Settings. Takes 2 minutes

Older by the minute

That's if you have a Product Key for Pro otherwise you will need to buy one!

Thumbs up Re: Upgrading Notebook from W10 x 64 Home v 1709 to W10 X64 Pro v 1909

Bryan, linw and pcuser42
    Hi and thanks
    I got the installed OS Product and License keys using an app. It's OEM.
    I tried to do the Update to W10 Home v 1903 and it failed. Said "Could not update the System Reserved Partition"
    Googled that and found several reasons / causes for it. Used Disk management to check the SRP (System Reserved Partition) had free space in it and it is completely unused: 260MB Capacity/260MB Unused.
    So there should be enough space there for the upgrade/update to be done.... unless the SRP is corrupted perhaps....
    I googled for info and as said found several, most said to increase the SRP to make more free space (IF the SRP free space was under 15MB)...the SRP has 260MB available (so it shows).
    I watched a video by Britec who explains how to increase SRP size using MiniTool and creating a bootable USB with the Minitool on it to boot into and make the changes. I can't do that in TeamViewer because the USB is booted into after restart. However, I think I installed Easeus Partition Master 10 Home to friends device a year or so ago and could well look at that soon. I am at present in remote control/connection with her device.
    So, Bryan, as I cannot get her system to do the update to v1903 I don't think I can do a large hop to 1909 from the 1709 installed at the mo. Unfortunately.
    I am thinking about looking about and see what I can do using Easeus Partition Master, but am wondering why the upgrade will not proceed IF the SRP has 260MB Free Space available.
    Here are a few Pics I took... they are in Spanish but I translated the wording to English and named the pics in English as what is being shown in Spanish.

Thanks guys

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	keys.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	10268   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UPDATE TO W10 V1903.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	10264   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	COULD NOT UPDATE THE RESERVED PARTITION OF THE SYSTEM.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	10265   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	THIS TEAM CANNOT RUN WINDOWS 10.jpg 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	10266   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DISK MANAGEMENT_ RESERVED PARTITION IS UNUSED _ 260MB AVAILABLE.jpg 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	10267  

tread carefully, considering the state of her notebook & the state of her internet

the upgrade 1909 could be a 2Gb++ download and may just fail if her internet is bad
    So plan for the worst, what will YOU do if the upgrade fails disastrously leaving the notebook in an usable state , it happens .

I learnt the hard way, I now just avoid doing PC repairs for friends & neighbors : the PC is often in such a bad state that its really a 1/2 day job .
    The list of issues just keeps growing as you go.

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    tread carefully, considering the state of her notebook & the state of her internet

the upgrade 1909 could be a 2Gb++ download and may just fail if her internet is bad
    So plan for the worst, what will YOU do if the upgrade fails disastrously leaving the notebook in an usable state , it happens .

I learnt the hard way, I now just avoid doing PC repairs for friends & neighbors : the PC is often in such a bad state that its really a 1/2 day job .
    The list of issues just keeps growing as you go.
    Hi and thanks. Yep I am wary of attempting anything with conditions being as they are. My friend does have 2 external 2.5in HDD's and I was planning to safeguard against catastrophe by downloading/installing and using Macrium Reflect 7 to image the existing C Drive and partitions in case the proverbial happens, Sods Law insurance.
    Cheers

One other thing to add, with such low specs and slow internet you need to allow 6+ hours for the upgrade from 1709-> 1903. When it starts you cant stop it, sometimes its a lot less in time but generally low spec Computers can take forever.

Sometimes its actually quicker to save all the data (after imaging it with macrium, which you can use to extract the original data, but mount the image and test first) Then wipe the complete drive clean and install fresh.

Had a few now, after setting going, then several hours later fails due to some reason, wiped the drive and fresh installed within 45 minutes.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

VoidMaster

I seem to remember that quite a few computers were stuck on 1709 a while ago, and some were a major effort to upgrade hands on, let-alone remotely on a slow connection.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche