Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toner Leak

Default Toner Leak

I know nothing about Laser Printers. I read that you can get Toner Leak and was wondering how often this happened?.

Old guy

Default Re: Toner Leak

I do not know and have never seen it and I have been using Laser printers for several years.

It can happen, but generally more so in cheap refills or third party Cartridges.

Had 1 Third party toner black blow out, what a mess, damn toner everywhere.
    Once I got the majority of the toner out the printer went outside and blew the rest out carefully with Compressed air.

DONT use a normal Vacuum cleaner to clean.

Have a read of this article leaky-cartridges-the-scourge-of-laser-printers/

Near the end of the article really says it all:
    Ultimately, the best way to avoid toner leaks is by sticking with genuine, brand name toner cartridge. Compatible cartridges have a higher chance of leaking, while OEM toner cartridges are put through a strenuous series of performance tests. Bottom line: brand name toner delivers better prints and a lower risk of toner leaks.
    Not to say the genuine Toners wont leak, just more of a chance they wont.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Thanks. That is the info' I was after. My inkjet is on its way out so just planning ahead.

Whilst I am sure you are right wainui, I used refilled toner cartridges for over 5 years from NZ Toner Catridges (not sure I have the name 100% correct) in ChCh. Not a single problem.

Just get one!! This is not a time for agonising about non issues!

However, the lock down will make this a tricky job, unless you are an essential worker.

Forgot to check my printer (laser!!) so it has run out of paper. Never mind, I can re-purpose the flip side of paper I have around.

Quote Originally Posted by linw View Post
    Just get one!! This is not a time for agonising about non issues!

However, the lock down will make this a tricky job, unless you are an essential worker.

Forgot to check my printer (laser!!) so it has run out of paper. Never mind, I can re-purpose the flip side of paper I have around.
    Similar, SWMBO is working from home, set up a computer - Easy -- Then she decides she has to print of god knows how many pages, OK she brought home a ream of paper from work, but didn't mention about how much shes had to print off, so didn't have time to get a new cartridge in. SO dig out a couple of old Lasers, and between mixing of parts got one going with at least some toner(s). Thankfully most of the printing is done Phew and still got 1/2 cartridge
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Hi, WT. Hope the toner/paper holds out! I don't print much and it is not stuff for others to read. Moved house 6 mths ago. Old place had lots of room and there was a drawer for paper but no idea whether there was paper in it when we moved, and if there was, where it is now!

In these times we have to be resilient, eh.

Cheers everyone and best wishes everyone. We have a ways to go yet.

Quote Originally Posted by linw View Post
    Have been doing that for years and years, even with the old line-flow paper, "waste not want not", something we should tell "Greta" about.

lurking.

My job used to be fixing printers & refilling & selling remanufacted toner carts
    Ive seen plenty of leaky toner carts. Its usually refills that cause the problem, but can happen even on genuine carts

You can blown it out with compressed air, or yes just use a vacuum cleaner . A small amount wont hurt , but at your own risk & I wouldnt do it with an expensive vac
    The particles are so small they can go through vac cleaner bags , so clean it outside , then change the bag.

When I started refilling toner carts, all we had were 'normal' vacuum cleaners , and I used to suck all the old toner out of old toner carts, so I sucked one hell of alot
    of toner into the vacs . I had to open the vaccs up & clean then them every 6months or so , so a one off isnt a big deal to clean your printer