Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Easily switch between laptop and PC using same monitor

Hi everyone,
    Been working from home the last few weeks and as that seems it will continue for a while, I'm looking for advice on how I can do the following without having to manually plug / unplug cables each time.

My home PC is connected to my monitor via DP cable/port. The monitor has both DP and HDMI inputs, but I only use the DP plug.

If I plug my work laptop into the free HDMI input, what will happen - is there anyway I can control which of those two inputs are seen and toggle between either as needed? Or, do I need some sort of switching box to do this?
    Note I cannot install any extra software on my work laptop.

Thanks in advance for any guidance / recommendations.

Edit - also if this is possible, can I still enable dual monitors (laptop screen, as well as home monitor)
    Last edited by Chikara; 29-03-2020 at 07:42 PM.

Default Re: Easily switch between laptop and PC using same monitor

Your monitor should have some form of option to switch inputs. It varies greatly between models so check the manual.

Normally I'd just use a KVM switch, in fact I have a 4 port that you just press the button on the switch for which ever PC you want and it switches the computer to that screen, all 4 share the one Keyboard / mouse and monitor.

You can buy smaller less fancy ones, just did a quick google search and something like this from Ascent should work https://www.ascent.co.nz/productspec...?itemID=430145

Getting one in the lockdown could be a problem.

Heres what it looks like connected to one of my laptops, the other cables would go to other Computers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1133 (Large).jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	10259
    Last edited by wainuitech; 30-03-2020 at 03:11 PM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

Another option is Stardock's Multiplicity tool. It's a software based KVM. You load the application on the computers you want to control. You set a master and a slave machine and as long as they are on the same network you can move from one computer to the other.

You do need to have at least one monitor for each computer though.

Asus PRIME Z370-P
    Core i7-8700K @ 5.0GHz (XMP)
    Corsair Hydro H100x
    16GB Klevv BOLT X Gaming 3200MHz DDR4
    Intel 660P 512GB M.2 NVMe
    Crucial P1 1TB M.2 NVMe
    Seagate Barracuda 4TB SATA
    GTX 1660 SUPER OC
    Corsair Crystal 460X
    Corsair TX650M

Thanks, yes that could be a better solution, I could switch via the monitor input selection but it's about 4 presses of buttons and menu items on the monitor to change it which is a slight nuisance. With a KVM switch it's one click plus I could share my keyboard and mouse. I'll have a look around at options if I can find one. For some reason I get an Access denied error message when accessing Ascent's site, I'll ask Uncle Google instead.
    Last edited by Chikara; 31-03-2020 at 03:44 AM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnz View Post
    Another option is Stardock's Multiplicity tool. It's a software based KVM. You load the application on the computers you want to control. You set a master and a slave machine and as long as they are on the same network you can move from one computer to the other.

You do need to have at least one monitor for each computer though.
    Unfortunately I cannot install third party software onto my work laptop, so that rules that option out for me. Sounds an interesting concept though!

Quote Originally Posted by Chikara View Post
    Thanks, yes that could be a better solution, I could switch via the monitor input selection but it's about 4 presses of buttons and menu items on the monitor to change it which is a slight nuisance. With a KVM switch it's one click plus I could share my keyboard and mouse. I'll have a look around at options if I can find one. For some reason I get an Access denied error message when accessing Ascent's site, I'll ask Uncle Google instead.
    Since Ascent wasn't letting you in for some reason, this is the actual manufactures site ( same picture / Device). There other but this one was just the 1st I came across.

https://www.aten.com/global/en/produ...witches/cs22u/

Another is from digitus https://www.digitus.info/en/products...es/dc-11202-1/ You would need to double check it comes with the cables. Some of the other KVM's I have didn't.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 31-03-2020 at 08:28 AM.

Hi again, sorry to ressurt my thread from a few weeks ago but I need some more advice.
    I've been looking into this a bit more. It seems most of the KVM's only support one type of connection, eg all HDMI, or all Displayport. And a number of them say mechanical and/or backlit keyboards may not be supported because of the extra power.
    So let me explain exactly what I am trying to do, and maybe you can advise me if it's possible or not?

Device one: My home PC, supports Displayport Out, and HDMI out. Usually this is plugged directly into my monitor via the DisplayPort plug
    Device two: My work laptop. Dell Latitude 7300. Has Thunderbolt and HDMI outputs
    My monitor: Can both a HDMI, and DisplayPort input. Usually, it's connected to my PC via DisplayPort
    Mouse: Just a regulat mouse
    Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow

So, what's my best option? Just get a KVM that supports HDMI, then switch my PC to use HDMI output rather than Displayport?
    Are there KVM's that support mix and match of either HMDI or Displayport?
    Because my keyboard presumably has a higher power drain than a regular keyboard, anything special I need to look for to make sure this could be supported?

When using my work laptop, ideally I'd like ability to use dual monitors (ie both the laptop monitor and the main monitor) when needed - not sure if this is a standard feature, of it it depends on the KVM.

Thanks again in advance
    Last edited by Chikara; 15-04-2020 at 01:51 AM.

Have a look through these options https://www.aten.com/au/en/products/...kvm-switches/?

The CS692 looks like it should do what you want. PBTech has them for sale, BUT once again trying to get them in the lockdown could be a sticking point. if the KVM has Audio doesn't mean you have to use them.

Damn timer Grrrrr Looking further at the CS692, in the description while it doesn't actually say "backlit keyboards " it does say gaming keyboard Support.

Featuring an unbeatable combination of HDMI functionality, USB 2.0 peripheral sharing convenience, gaming keyboard support, and enhanced user-friendly operations, the CS692 allows users to keep up with the latest innovations in desktop multimedia applications.