Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Fibre getting connected (Hooray!) - questions

At long last fibre is coming to my house on 2 April - or so Chorus says atm. Questions:

• Are there any general gotchas I need to be aware of - both for the installation and afterwards?
    • They say they will repair any damage - does that happen straight away or on another day?
    • Where should I get the ONT sited? My present VDSL connection is on the skirting board in the office directly through the wall from the outside box, but I'm not sure if that is the best place for the fibre ONT. I have ethernet through the house so I'm not sure whether I will use wired or wireless.
    • How can I check whether my current router (Draytek Vigor 2760) will work with fibre? I can't find any online info.
    • If I have to get a new router, is the one from the ISP likely to be OK, or would I do better to buy one independently?
    • What speed should I go for? My VDSL gives me 40+ mbps which seems adequate most of the time, so I'm thinking something like a 100/20 would be OK. I guess I can upgrade it later if I decide I need to.

All suggestions gratefully received.
    Last edited by Tony; 15-03-2020 at 08:48 AM.
    We are all but temporary files on the great HDD of life.

Default Re: Fibre getting connected (Hooray!) - questions

One thing - your current phones may or may not work if to old ( seen this many times)

Generally the ONT - they will put it in the most easiest place - so if the current setup is easy to get to thats a good place. Wireless - Thats from the Router not the ONT, again depending on coverage could depend on where the Router goes. You can always run access points either Via Ethernet or even EOP devices.

The Current Router -- The standard Internet Port is RJ-11 which is telephone plugs.

The ONT uses RJ-45 Ethernet ports, but the 2760, one of the Ethernet ports is a WAN/LAN according to the Specs https://www.draytek.com/products/vigor2760/#specs If it were me I'd simply use the Supplied NEW router, at least that will work, and should actually be better.
    I'm using Vodafones Supplied router on FibreX Max, its no faster or slower than a TP-Link I have (works the same) the only difference is the TP-Link has more options in its settings to customize ( read as fiddle if you want)

Speed-- That's usually $$ considerations to start with, the lower speeds often cost less, OR some plans are more expensive than others, really depends on the budget and what they offer. Not all fibre is top end speed, many seem to think because they have Fibre they are going to go flat out, but some actually go Slower because there are different plans = $$
    Last edited by wainuitech; 15-03-2020 at 09:40 AM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Thanks WT.
    I knew about old fixed phones not working, and also that there will be no phone during a power outage, which seems to me to be a definite step back in technology. I have one old fixed phone that I currently use as a backup if the power fails - won't be able to do that any more. One of my cordless phones has a small battery backup, but I wouldn't want to rely on it for long.
    I mentioned the wireless vs ethernet because it means if I have a wireless router I can site the ONT anywhere near the router. - which can also be anywhere (almost). If I have a wired router (like the Draytek) I need to think about where the pots are etc.
    I probably would go with the supplied modem - it just means a bit more cost, and a redundant router.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Thanks WT.
    I knew about old fixed phones not working, and also that there will be no phone during a power outage, which seems to me to be a definite step back in technology. I have one old fixed phone that I currently use as a backup if the power fails - won't be able to do that any more. One of my cordless phones has a small battery backup, but I wouldn't want to rely on it for long.
    I mentioned the wireless vs ethernet because it means if I have a wireless router I can site the ONT anywhere near the router. - which can also be anywhere (almost). If I have a wired router (like the Draytek) I need to think about where the pots are etc.
    I probably would go with the supplied modem - it just means a bit more cost, and a redundant router.
    But surely, surely, you have a mobile phone? Doesn't everybody these days? Even schoolkids? Even babies will be born holding one soon.

I have found that the top speed fibre is only faster within NZ. Overseas there is very little difference to the 100/20. In my case, with Voyager, the 100/20 costs $79, and the high speed 5Ghz $112.00, so its not worth the extra cash. In your case you are continually downloading W10. Depends where the server is. Try both and if the 5G is not much faster change plans.

At long last fibre is coming to my house on 2 April - or so Chorus says atm. Questions:

• Are there any general gotchas I need to be aware of - both for the installation and afterwards?
    • They say they will repair any damage - does that happen straight away or on another day?
    • Where should I get the ONT sited?
    • What speed should I go for? My VDSL gives me 40+ mbps which seems adequate most of the time, so I'm thinking something like a 100/20 would be OK. I guess I can upgrade it later if I decide I need to.

Follow them around, check what they will do, how and where.
    They insisted on nailing the bare wire to our fence when we had it. That would have lasted 5 minutes. And any damage you then have to pay.
    So we ended up having to run the conduit ourselves. Then they were going to go round a corner, right angle, and into a bedroom.
    So again, we ran it into the lounge.
    They were going to cut across the asphalt and patch it with concrete.
    So again, we cut across instead and patched it ourselves. They utterly refused to do anything that is in there own terms, like for like for instance, and we had no choice.

Happily my brothers, which went from the power pole, went better, no madness with running it and ont was installed where he requested it to be.

ISP modem is fine, you can use your own, up to you.
    100mps if fine also, as you say, you can bump it up later if you want. Don't go lower than a 100 though.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Follow them around, check what they will do, how and where.
    They insisted on nailing the bare wire to our fence when we had it. That would have lasted 5 minutes. And any damage you then have to pay.
    So we ended up having to run the conduit ourselves. Then they were going to go round a corner, right angle, and into a bedroom.
    So again, we ran it into the lounge.
    They were going to cut across the asphalt and patch it with concrete.
    So again, we cut across instead and patched it ourselves. They utterly refused to do anything that is in there own terms, like for like for instance, and we had no choice.

Happily my brothers, which went from the power pole, went better, no madness with running it and ont was installed where he requested it to be.

ISP modem is fine, you can use your own, up to you.
    100mps if fine also, as you say, you can bump it up later if you want. Don't go lower than a 100 though.
    I'm certainly hoping they will run the fibre through the existing conduit. I'll be highly p****d off if they decide they need to do anything else. Which means there should be no damage, in theory. There is an issue in that when they were laying the cables in the road they had to come onto my property to drill across the road, and they broke the corner off some asphalt. I have some email correspondence with Chorus about that, but I can see that becoming an issue - especially if they say they will only fix it with concrete.

They couldn't get it down our existing one, we ran a new one.
    They wouldn’t.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    They couldn't get it down our existing one, we ran a new one.
    They wouldn’t.
    I did not want to hear that.
    So what were they proposing to do? And why couldn't they use the existing one?

I did not want to hear that.
    So what were they proposing to do? And why couldn't they use the existing one?
    Don't know why....the old cable ran under drive....perhaps at some point it was squashed, but they could not get the new wire down it. From either end.
    They proposed to just run the fibre as is, stapled to the fence. The rotten fence the neighbour parked his car yard cars against, often hitting it and breaking bits.
    Ex-pctek