Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Fibre getting connected (Hooray!) - questions

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I did not want to hear that.
    So what were they proposing to do? And why couldn't they use the existing one?
    Don't know why....the old cable ran under drive....perhaps at some point it was squashed, but they could not get the new wire down it. From either end.
    They proposed to just run the fibre as is, stapled to the fence. The rotten fence the neighbour parked his car yard cars against, often hitting it and breaking bits.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Don't know why....the old cable ran under drive....perhaps at some point it was squashed, but they could not get the new wire down it. From either end.
    They proposed to just run the fibre as is, stapled to the fence. The rotten fence the neighbour parked his car yard cars against, often hitting it and breaking bits.
    If they can't get it through my conduit I'm not sure what they'll do. There is no fence, so I think they would have to dig a new trench. I'm reasonably confident they existing one will be OK though.
    We are all but temporary files on the great HDD of life.

Don't worry about what happened to others, just pay attention to yours. Walk round with them, see what ideas they have. Most installs are problem free.

And it is well worth it in the end, that's for sure. Even landline, if you want one, it's far better and problem free.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Don't worry about what happened to others, just pay attention to yours. Walk round with them, see what ideas they have. Most installs are problem free.

And it is well worth it in the end, that's for sure. Even landline, if you want one, it's far better and problem free.
    You are quite right. I'm not actually particularly worried - just trying to cover all the bases in advance. Wot, me worry? (thanks, Alfred E Neuman)
    Last edited by Tony; 16-03-2020 at 01:33 PM.

Yeah it's only the problem stories you usually hear. For me they thrust the fibre from the street under my lawn and it popped up out of the ground right by my house almost as if they knew what they were doing.
    Then they ran a fibre from that box under my floor where a lot of contractors won't go (about 300-400mm clearance) to the other end of the house and installed the ONT in the corner of my Lounge where I wanted it.
    They were at my house for less than an hour and the fibre has been problem free ever since, a couple years or more now. I do suspect the fibre is just laying on the ground under my house, but nobody goes under there so why worry about it.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

The only slight unknown here is that when they were working in the street back in October they came onto the property (with my permission) with one of those horizontal drilling machines so they could drill across the road, and managed to break the corner off my asphalt apron. I had correspondence with Chorus at the time where they appeared to accept responsibility and I just reminded them. I now have a case manager named Paolo, so we'll see what happens.

Our installation by Northpower Fibre and one of their contractors was totally trouble free. All underground and installed exactly where we asked. Our only problem was then getting Chorus to connect their end of the cable to make the connection operative. This took a couple of weeks and heaps of calls to orcon, as you cannot talk to Chorus direct.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    you cannot talk to Chorus direct.
    Not quite.
    My installed gave his cellphone number on the form, and when it became er...difficult I rang them (having then got their number as well) and they rang me back too.
    Ex-pctek

I knew I was too optimistic. It ain't goin' to happen April 2, that's for sure.
    I've had an email saying they will be in touch, but its going to be a while, that's for sure.

Tony, got one of those emails back in 2017 from Enable.

Recently had Vod put in FibreX 90 unit.

Wai has the same I think but 200 level, stand to be corrected Wai