Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Swollen battery (I think)

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    A replacement battery according to several sits ( assuming its the right model), ranges from $90 -$150 +. BUT getting them from over seas can be expensive on postage ( or not able to actually send) unless its someone like HP or other importers who have spare part chains able to do so. Looking on HP's official site even they say 2-3 weeks ( which is normal).

As for getting them apart, often there's hidden screws, its actually looking for them and once undone can come aprt easily, BUT without actually physically having it to look hard to determine (I NEVER guess) Had way to many try to take apart and 1 damn screw is hidden remove it and bingo off the parts pop. Most of the time the tools used are really special ( being sarcastic) :P Small Philips Screwdriver and old Credit / Eftpoz card.

BUT only two years old, the battery is faulty if its swelling like mentioned.

To follow on and endorse from what piroska posted, follow up to CGA, even if you have to call HP and do the same, two years is way to short under normal working conditions. If it were 5 + years old then yeah, but NOT for two.
    Thanks wainuitech. I'm not prepared to try pulling it apart and removing it myself. So coming back to my question above - do you think it is safe like this until I can get it to a professional to remove the battery? I'm not clear if it could continue swelling even when the laptop is shut down, not used anymore, and the charger is unplugged (as I currently have it).

Also, if PBT are being dicks, who can I get to sort this for me in Wellington (as in HP authorised agents if it needs to be).
    Last edited by catspyjamas; 07-03-2020 at 09:06 PM.

If PBT are being dicks ( which isn't unusual - esp when it comes to repair service) Then contact HP.

Found the following numbers, one will be able to direct you in the right direction.

hp-new-zealand-contact-customer-service-phone/.

Also found another page linked to the same model, the Ph number may show during business hours.

https://support.hp.com/nz-en/contact...94?sku=T9G15PA

BTW the CGA lists "For computers and laptops the expected lifespan is 5 years." ( read the complete page below Laptops), Under your rights, it tells you exactly what has to happen.

https://www.consumer.org.nz/articles...ife-expectancy

Normally I wouldn't have a problem looking at it myself, BUT the big thing is its ONLY two years old, maybe if it were one of the cheap, low spec heap of junk you would expect it. But being an important and dangerous part ( the Battery Failing) is something PBT & HP SHOULD be sorting, remind them of the CGA. See what they come up with as a solution. ( have the above page open stating what they have to do so you can quote it)

If a battery Is faulty (esp swelling) I certainly wouldn't be using it. These type of batteries have blown up / gone on fire before.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 08-03-2020 at 01:24 PM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

If PBT are being dicks ( which isn't unusual - esp when it comes to repair service) Then contact HP.

Found the following numbers, one will be able to direct you in the right direction.

hp-new-zealand-contact-customer-service-phone/.

Also found another page linked to the same model, the Ph number may show during business hours.

https://support.hp.com/nz-en/contact...94?sku=T9G15PA

BTW the CGA lists "For computers and laptops the expected lifespan is 5 years." ( read the complete page below Laptops), Under your rights, it tells you exactly what has to happen.

https://www.consumer.org.nz/articles...ife-expectancy

Normally I wouldn't have a problem looking at it myself, BUT the big thing is its ONLY two years old, maybe if it were one of the cheap, low spec heap of junk you would expect it. But being an important and dangerous part ( the Battery Failing) is something PBT & HP SHOULD be sorting, remind them of the CGA. See what they come up with as a solution. ( have the above page open stating what they have to do so you can quote it)

If a battery Is faulty (esp swelling) I certainly wouldn't be using it. These type of batteries have blown up / gone on fire before.
    Thanks wainuitech this is all very helpful. I'll give HP a call early this week. Thanks SO much for providing a phone number for them. I was going around in circles on the HP site for a way to contact support - for support options in NZ it was only showing me links to a community forum or a chatbot. From what I can see of the responses in the community forums for anything hardware or defect related, they simply link you to the support page for your country, which suggest only the forum or chatbot! I wasn't having a lot of luck finding authorised HP service people listed for Wellington either, which it will need to be if I'm going down the CGA route and PBT aren't budging. Hopefully HP will point me in the right direction for that.

I'm definitely NOTusing the laptop!! It's been unplugged and shutdown since I worked out it was probably a swollen battery causing the symptoms. My concern was whether it would continue to swell in spite of being unplugged and not used. To be safe, I've put the thing in a metal tool kit.

My model is actually this one: https://support.hp.com/nz-en/product...36?sku=1PM43PA The one you linked to is the 2016 model, which by chance I've actually used and thought was a lot better than the 2017 Spectre x2 that I have. The 2016 one has a much sturdier feel and runs MUCH cooler (the back panel I mean, I'm not sure about the CPU temps). I've found the same page you've linked to for my model.

I've been doing some reading about what causes a battery to swell up. While I've never exposed the laptop to super high or super low temps, never kept it in the sun, and never dropped it or anything, what I have done is kept it plugged in on AC all the time. It's actually rare for me to use it on battery. From what I've been reading this can stress the battery. :/ To be honest I've always done that with my laptops and they haven't had any problems at all - even 10 years down the track. That said, they were all the batteries that clipped on externally in a plastic case, not these internal soft/pouch style ones - are they a lot more sensitive to remaining at a high charge?? It's confusing, because it looks like too many charge cycles also stresses them. I'm now wondering if the issue has arisen (in part) due to the laptop getting roasting hot when it's used (which it has done from day one) and my keeping it always plugged in. I'm sure it hasn't been actually overcharging though (I ran a battery report before I shut it down).

Thanks again. Really appreciate the advice.

If PBT are being dicks Then contact HP.
    Who are likely to be worse.
    I can speak from experience.
    I had to go all the way to booking in my Disputes Tribunal case before HP gave in.

Then again, ditto with PB, but PB was easier, because I spoke directly to them, HP I had to go round all the minions first before a manager got involved, took far longer.
    Ex-pctek

"On further inspection the screen has started to peel away from the base unit in those areas"
    Thats all you need to complain about. That has to be fixed under the CGA, the state of batt is irrelevant , they cant say the batts OK then do nothing .

Btw, a swelling batt is potentially dangerous (fire)

From HP themselves , quote this to PB & HP
    https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c05640567
    "In order to protect your hardware from potential damage, HP recommends that customers experiencing battery swelling discontinue use of the notebook until the battery can be replaced"

Hi 1101 yes I do realise the laptop must not be used or have the charger plugged in, and that swollen lithium ion batteries are extremely dangerous. I already stated that I'm definitely NOT using the laptop. It's been unplugged and shutdown since I worked out it was probably a swollen battery causing the symptoms. I have placed the laptop in a metal tool box for added safety.