Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Default Re: Covid-19 - Self Isolate

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Spelt is an ancient whole grain grown in many parts of the world cultivated since approximately 5000 BCE

It declined in popularity during the 19th century, but is now making a comeback.
    That deserves a lollipop also. This forum is very educational eh?

LOL, couldn't resist. Especially as I recently bought some (expensive) einkorn flour to try bread with.
    It's different, coarser looking, sort of, even though finely ground....and you have to alter the recipe, it comes out somewhat like vogels, not with grain bits in, more the texture of it, and a similar taste.
    Ex-pctek

And a voice of common sense in the mad panic wilderness:

Stock markets are crashing, borders and schools are shutting, big events are cancelled and people are hoarding toilet paper.

It's called 'moral panic', and one scientist is warning it's more damaging than any global health emergency.

"The criteria for a moral panic is that the reaction is disproportionate to an objective reality," Sarah Monod de Fiordeville from Victoria University says.

Our minds like to "jump to threatening headlines" with alarming numbers, he says.

So far, nearly 100,000 cases of Covid-19 have been reported globally or 0.0001 per cent of the population. In comparison, season flu makes up to five million people sick enough to get treatment, 0.06 percent of the population. The flu results in 290,000 to 650,000 deaths each year; so far about 3000 people have died from Covid-19.

People don't worry about dying from flu or heart disease because they are part of the every-day fabric of how they expect the world to be.

In contrast, the coronavirus is a novelty - but the evolution of the 24 hour news cycle and the internet also play a big part in causing moral panic.

(From Stuff today)
    Ex-pctek

Bit like the preppers in the US who have underground bunkers. I wouldnt bother myself if I needed to I would just look for a preppers bunker gas them out deal to them and take all their stuff.
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

Quote Originally Posted by prefect View Post
    Bit like the preppers in the US who have underground bunkers. I wouldnt bother myself if I needed to I would just look for a preppers bunker gas them out deal to them and take all their stuff.
    And then, you'd look after your mates at PCWorld Press F1 and bequeath them the bunker/s.

Mate!!! (I take back all those things I ever said about you)

I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

Problem being someone would come along and gas us out. Think the idea would be to just loot it. The preppers on mainly Foxnews comments say to me they have guns etc, but I figure they would useless in a bunker. Every bunker needs ventilation if I couldn't gas them out maybe flood them out

The preppers might last slightly longer in a nuclear war or asteroid or some such, but ultimately, well, see any dinosaurs around now?
    And I suspect they'd end up using their last few bullets on each other.
    Ex-pctek

Old guy

There have been about 5 people murdered in NZ in the last couple of weeks plus a few more shot or stabbed and injured badly enough to need hospital care. There have been at least that many dead or injured in road accidents over the same period.
    Because the media has decided we need shock horror headlines we are all supposed to be terrified of a new flu virus. 3 possibly 4 people a bit ill with it in NZ at this point of time.
    This whole business is over hyped to a ridiculous degree and Corona Virus should be of little concern to anyone who is fit and healthy. If 20 - 40 year old people start dropping dead in the streets it will be a problem but at the moment the fatalities I have seen reported are all people who could be expected to die in the near future anyway. The last one reported was a 95 year old woman.
    By all means take sensible precautions to avoid becoming infected but remember we all have to die one day so just get on and live your life as well as you can whilst waiting around for the end.

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    There have been about 5 people murdered in NZ in the last couple of weeks plus a few more shot or stabbed and injured badly enough to need hospital care. There have been at least that many dead or injured in road accidents over the same period.
    Because the media has decided we need shock horror headlines we are all supposed to be terrified of a new flu virus. 3 possibly 4 people a bit ill with it in NZ at this point of time.
    This whole business is over hyped to a ridiculous degree and Corona Virus should be of little concern to anyone who is fit and healthy. If 20 - 40 year old people start dropping dead in the streets it will be a problem but at the moment the fatalities I have seen reported are all people who could be expected to die in the near future anyway. The last one reported was a 95 year old woman.
    By all means take sensible precautions to avoid becoming infected but remember we all have to die one day so just get on and live your life as well as you can whilst waiting around for the end.
    Excellent comment from well respected PressF1 member.

Quote Originally Posted by prefect View Post
    Excellent comment from well respected PressF1 member.
    Agree. Now they news media are saying paracetamol will be rationed from Monday. Guess what will happen now.