Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819 LastLast

Default Re: Covid-19 - Self Isolate

Quote Originally Posted by allblack View Post
    How's this for pandering to NZ's most vociferous minority:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/120...-mbie-confirms
    Th gun nutters in the US are suing as their gun shops are forced to close in the corona lockdown ( California )

Went shopping today. me and brother, he had his blind gear with him. We got let in ahead of queue and a checkout with queue too. He had to paywave, I had to drive and help him see.
    Online is totally overloaded so I didn't bother with the priority thing, leave for those with no other choices....
    Ex-pctek

“It was not meant to be against the contagion,” says Lynteris of the practice. “The reason these people were wearing cloth around their mouths and noses was, at the time, they generally believed diseases like the plague were miasma, or gases emanating from the ground. It wasn’t to protect you from another person, they believed plague was in the atmosphere—corrupt air.”

“The stench causes disease. This [thought] continued all the way to the early 19th century,” says Lynteris.

By the late 1870s, scientists learned about bacteria. Miasma fell from fashion as the modern field of microbiology emerged.

Doctors started wearing the first surgical masks in 1897. They weren’t much more than a glorified handkerchief tied around one’s face, and they weren’t designed to filter airborne disease—that’s still not the point of surgical masks today. They were (and are) used to prevent doctors from coughing or sneezing droplets onto wounds during surgery.

This distinction between a mask and a respirator is important. Masks are not only made of different materials; they fit loosely on the face, so that particles can come in from the side. Respirators create an airtight seal so they actually filter inhalation.

Hand sanitizers are a different branch of the cleanliness than soaps, which are thousands of years old and require water.

The first major discovery of a non-water, non-soap cleaning agent dates to 1875, when Leonid Bucholz of what is now the University of Tartu in Estonia apparently discovered that ethanol—a form of alcohol—has antiseptic properties.

Ethanol took a little while to catch on, partly because a study just a few years later showed that ethanol was not effective at killing fungal infections; but is pretty good at killing just about everything else.

But work on ethanol continued, and in 1911, another researcher figured out that 70% ethanol was the most effective dose.

In the past few years, Instagram-friendly startups have targeted hand sanitizer in the same way they targeted toilet paper.

Early in 2020, the FDA issued a warning label ,to stop saying it is effective against pathogens like norovirus and Ebola.

In reality, FDA regulation of hand sanitizers is very minimal; only last year did the FDA state that there isn’t enough research on alcohol to say whether it is “generally recognized as safe and effective.

The CDC has made it very clear that hand sanitizer is not as effective at warding off COVID-19 as an extended soap-and-water session
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Th gun nutters in the US are suing as their gun shops are forced to close in the corona lockdown ( California )
    Its part of their constitution, wish we had Texas style gun laws here.
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

Yes, it is one of the stupid parts of their constitution..... known as the Second Amendment.

Usually quoted by people you wouldn't want as a neighbour.

Ken

As the Covid-19 picture emerges, exactly how serious? How does the case-fatality rate, a measure of the importance of the disease, compare with other similar viruses?

As a rough guide, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention uses rates of between 0.1 to 2.0 per cent to determine how to respond to a new threat. This is clearly an important statistic to attend to, but it is easy to get this wrong very wrong.

The calculation is skewed, initially, because sicker patients are tested first, making the infection appear more serious. Also, in determining fatalities, uncertainty arises in patients who are otherwise sick with a limited life expectancy, who then test positive and subsequently die. Should they be labelled as Covid-19 deaths?

Remember swine flu in 2009? Initial estimates of case-fatality rates were about ten times higher than those calculated once the dust had settled. It turned out that swine flu, that year's killer virus, was no more harmful than seasonal flu.

So let's look at a couple of examples where more comprehensive testing has been completed. The Diamond Princess ship is one of the few examples of a closed population who were all tested for the disease. Seven deaths occurred in 700 test-positive patients, giving us a case-fatality rate of 1 per cent.

Remember, this was an elderly population. Calculations show that, if these rates were translated to a Western country's overall age structure, the statistic would be 0.125 per cent .

The figures of up to 900 deaths a day in Italy are alarming, and so is the nation's crude case-fatality rate of 9 per cent. However, a recent analysis of the deaths in Italy shows that only a small fraction were entirely due to Covid-19, occurring in people with no co-morbidities (3 out of 355; 0.8 per cent). Many deaths were hastily labelled as Covid-19 related when they were not.

As the average age of those dying is 80, that is not surprising. This kind of seasonal epidemic of deaths has occurred frequently in elderly populations living in this region for some years.

Time-series plots of overall deaths in European countries show surprisingly low rates for this time of year, even in heavily affected countries, such as Germany, Spain, France and Italy, even in the over-65 age group. Italy has the most dramatic increase, but no higher than occurred during the same season two years ago.

Is a "lockdown" and closing the borders even effective? Of all the preventive measures that were examined, improving hand hygiene had the best supporting evidence.

We don't want to squash a flea with a sledgehammer and bring the house down. I believe that other countries, such as Sweden, are steering a more sensible course through this turbulent time.

* Simon Thornley is an epidemiologist at the University of Auckland.
    Ex-pctek

And on a lighter note:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thoughts-and-prayers....jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	10261
    Ex-pctek

A few in this post have said that the Coronavirus is not to worry about. OK with me. We all have different thoughts on all matters. I saw something in our local rag this morning which is food for thought

"The US had only 332 cases and 17 Covid-19 deaths a month ago. But it now tops worldwide case numbers with more than 312,000 cases and 8,500 deaths.

It took 66 days for the country to get to 100,000 cases but only five days to get to 200,000 and a further three days to reach 300,000."

Food for thought?

Ken
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

Quote Originally Posted by kenj View Post

It took 66 days for the country to get to 100,000 cases but only five days to get to 200,000 and a further three days to reach 300,000."[/I][/B]

Food for thought?

Ken
    And a population of 373 million.
    Ex-pctek

Old guy

On average 90 people die in NZ for one reason or another each and every day. I am 100% in favour of taking all reasonable hygiene precautions to avoid becoming ill however I see no reason to panic. I am becoming concerned for the wellfare of those that have lost their jobs with no garantee of being re-employed whenever the powers that be decide people can get back to work. Long term that may well prove to be an even bigger problem for the country. Just in case you are wondering I am well into the age group which is in greatest danger I am just not selfish enough to put my wellfare ahead of those who have yet to live their lives.