Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Computer won't start ...

Hi all ...

It's been a while since I've been on the forum, but hope there are still some brilliant b'stards out there who may be able to help me out.

Computer specs are :-

Gigabyte-H170-HD3 Motherboard
    i7 1151 socket CPU
    2 x 16GB Corsair DDR4 RAM

I closed it down one night and when I tried switching it on, nothing happened ... no beeps, no fans, no nothing. I've checked the power supply and all voltages were OK but put a known good PS in just to make sure, but still nothing.

Did some searching online to find out whether this particular mobo had any known faults, but didn't find anything specific. Tried jumping the power supply on the mobo and the fan started, but still no beeps ... for a bit of light relief, I watched THIS YouTube clip and a few others I couldn't, but the guy got it working and wonder if anyone on here knows whether this is a common problem and worth trying to replace the crystal ... if it is, where I can source a new one.

If anyone has any ideas as to what else may be causing the problem, I'd certainly appreciate it. The board is just out of the warranty period ... it's 6th generation and apparently most new boards have 1156 socket which means I can't use my current i7 CPU. One thing I did find was a lot of "refurbished" boards and have to wonder whether that crystal is the reason.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.
    I haven't quite mastered the delicate soldering techniques used in the video, so any repairs will be done using my trusty old gas axe

Default Re: Computer won't start ...

Makes me wonder if your Power button, or the contacts from it migh be poor. I've had an issue where my reset button sticks in the down position, so maybe worth checking that it's moving freely.

Does your monitor show any sign of waking from sleep? If so there's some life in the mobo.

Quote Originally Posted by SP8s View Post
    I closed it down one night and when I tried switching it on, nothing happened ...The board is just out of the warranty period ...
    But. It's still covered under the CGA.

So go back to the shop....
    Ex-pctek

Have you tried changing the CMOS Battery, had a few Computers,similar problem, change that and away it goes again.

As for 1151 Motherboards -- How many do you need Quite a few available. BUT whats the CPU, i7 {What} as in number. There's plenty of 1151V2

The board must be just over 3 years old as Gigabyte carry 36 Month Warranties.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 27-02-2020 at 06:13 PM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Paul .... yep, tried the switches with multimeter, swapped the on / off with the reset switch and also jumping the pins on the board ...

Piroska & Wainui ... should have thought of the CGA, but it probably is about 3 years old. I'll check that out and just make sure.

Wainui ... If you're prepared enough to discuss why I need a new motherboard to my wife, I'll contribute a bottle of your favourite drink (Fanta from memory) to your wake.

My wife is under the impression that I am a God ... can fix anything for nothing ... and I DO NOT want her to think differently as it does have certain rewards associated with it. If she ever found out how easy it is to reset a circuit breaker, my life would be a living hell and I would no longer need to go looking in 18 electronic holes for parts to fix a deceptively complicated electrical fault.

I'll get back to you after trying the battery swap ... it's just a pity I have one here and don't get rewards for fixing things that belong to me.

If you're prepared enough to discuss why I need a new motherboard to my wife, I'll contribute a bottle of your favourite drink (Fanta from memory) to your wake.

My wife is under the impression that I am a God ... can fix anything for nothing ... and I DO NOT want her to think differently as it does have certain rewards associated with it
    Well after careful consideration there's two options.

I actually asked The Mrs, well kind of had to as I had a bit of a chuckle at the statements

Her reply --- Well tell him that even god has to delegate work sometimes.

What I do is work around, Reverse psychology so its her idea to to get what I want, when its her idea it gets done.

IF all that fails ---(don't know if you watch Big Bang Theory on TV, but Sheldons answer is what you are) Leonard asks:
    Alright, well let me see if I can explain your situation using physics. What would you be if you were attached to another object by an incline plane wrapped helically around an axis?
    ????
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by SP8s View Post
    Piroska & Wainui ... should have thought of the CGA, but it probably is about 3 years old. I'll check that out and just make sure.

And?
    If it is a good brand, and as you said, just out of warranty, it makes no difference.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    And?
    If it is a good brand, and as you said, just out of warranty, it makes no difference.
    He'll have to fight to get most companies to honor CGA responsibilities.
    Its going to be a long , drawn out process , sucking the life out of him .

It all depends who he bought the board off.
    This is why you stick to reputable shops, not the good feedback on the Sale, but on after sales service.

Even with the likes of PB etc, I find it's best to go direct to the manager, not staff and mention CGA at first instance of denials.

PB was the first one I ever had issues with (1998), lost their English, denied everything, etc etc until I mentioned Disputes. At which point I had my replacement in no time at all.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Its going to be a long , drawn out process , sucking the life out of him .
    Are we still talking about my computer, or have we digressed to the subject of my 39 year long marriage ??