Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

Default Re: Windows Firewall Notification will NOT disable

Quote Originally Posted by DarkFather View Post
    Again, I have Windows Defender, Windows Firewall, and Security Center turned off. The "off position" is off man. Yet, I still get the Notification about Firewall being off when I already turned THOSE notifications off as well. All this stuff is completely off/disabled....but I am still being Notified about it BEING off. I know it's off, I turned it off. SO why am I being Notified about it every single time I boot up my PC? I want it gone.

I have explained this already.
    NOD32 is only AV, if you've turned the firewall off, then the notification you're getting is actually valid. By default in Windows 10, if you disable the firewall but there is no 3rd party alternative installed, Windows will nag you about it because it's not a good idea to have this disabled without an alternative - say what you want but this is a very good thing MS have implemented.

So the system is actually doing what it was designed to do.

Re-enable the firewall and you will probably find that the notification will go away or install a 3rd party firewall as previously suggested by a number of posters.

Asus PRIME Z370-P
    Core i7-8700K @ 5.0GHz (XMP)
    Corsair Hydro H100x
    16GB Klevv BOLT X Gaming 3200MHz DDR4
    Intel 660P 512GB M.2 NVMe
    Crucial P1 1TB M.2 NVMe
    Seagate Barracuda 4TB SATA
    GTX 1660 SUPER OC
    Corsair Crystal 460X
    Corsair TX650M

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    But an awful lot of people aren’t the slightest bit interested in becoming Geeks.

People don't have to be geeks. So many just cant think for them selves to do basic tasks. Many say they use google all the time yet don't really know how to search. If you search for anything you like theres usually plenty of answers with simple instructions.

Take the notifications problem, if you google the exact title of this thread, it tells you in many sites various ways to sort it. BUT the majority of the time people don't give all info relating to a problem so some suggestions may not work. When I disable notifications its one click in the settings (already mentioned) and bingo - gone.

ANY OS is the same Linux isn't exactly install and forget either. I get calls all the time relating to linux problems, but because I don't know enough about it deep down I don't even attempt to fix it. the usual conversation people come up with is others have said to reinstall it -- not exactly a fix is it.

No point in asking here, there's people like yourself BM that blow on about how good something is, yet when actual help is required because it fails disappear and say nothing. That goes for the majority of posts you enter, I notice the only suggestion is to use linux -- why not actually post something useful or at least attempt to.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    No point in asking here, there's people like yourself BM that blow on about how good something is, yet when actual help is required because it fails disappear and say nothing. That goes for the majority of posts you enter, I notice the only suggestion is to use linux -- why not actually post something useful or at least attempt to.
    Again we disagree.

I think there would be very good reason for asking here, as starting from a blank HDD guys like Kame, Rod J, Karamea Dave, Fred Fish and others got me up and running on Mint Cinnamon in no time.

Something for which Iíll be forever grateful.

The reason I donít answer many questions is that Iím neither a Geek or a Technician and simply donít know the answers. However, if the thread remains unresolved after a period of time Iíll definitely offer what worked for me. Give Winwoes the flick and save the stress.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

You actually need to be more of a geek to play with Linux as it doesn't do stuff on point and click which is what the majority of computer users want. My dual boot desktop has had PClinux OS reinstalled for times in 4 weeks because I'm not a geek and hate doing CLI stuff. The same comp with Win10 has never put a foot wrong even when I do something stupid.

B.M states he doesn't often have an opion on Linux stuff but he sure as hell does on any other subject to such an extent it must be an obsession to wind everyone up by being wrong so often.

I think there would be very good reason for asking here, as starting from a blank HDD guys like Kame, Rod J, Karamea Dave, Fred Fish and others got me up and running on Mint Cinnamon in no time.

Something for which Iíll be forever grateful.

Give Winwoes the flick and save the stress.
    Well at least you're always good for a laugh.

Setting up a fresh install or installing a few programs is VERY low level of knowledge required. It when there's problems ( and I'm meaning large problems) that you cant see people for the dust running away, or should that be more to the point lack of replies.

While the above mentioned people may be knowledgeable ( about the only ones that are worth listening to) there's also the problem they are not here that regular, so who wants to wait for a week or more to "maybe" get a working answer.

I'm actually going to try and replicate the problem tomorrow, as I got some spare time while waiting for components.Bound to be a simple solution.

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    You actually need to be more of a geek to play with Linux as it doesn't do stuff on point and click which is what the majority of computer users want.
    Ahem.
    yes it does.
    Well Mint does.

99% of the time.
    I will allow that if something major goes wrong, you then do need a bit of terminal fiddling, but as Wainui says, Google has the answers if you ask it the right question.

Which is really just being specific not vague.
    Mostly anyway.

Of course Linux also has the handy Timeshift.
    My brother broke rule one (Don't fix it if it isn't broken) a couple of weeks ago, and we couldn't fix it after a couple of attempts, so I suggested, mainly to save time, he restore from Timeshift.

5 minutes later all was well again. And it's better than a Windows image cause it doesn't touch your personal. Just the system.

Wainui is right too, it's not about being a geek, it';s the equivalent of knowing how to change your tyre, check why the car isn';t stating (battery) and stuff like that.
    My all means, don't become a (PC) mechanic, but the basics? Yes, it isn't a toaster. It does need attention now and then.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Setting up a fresh install or installing a few programs is VERY low level of knowledge required.
    Then why after nearly 5 years is Winwoes 10 still so difficult to get running, and if you jump that hurdle, keep running?
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

Then why after nearly 5 years is Winwoes 10 still so difficult to get running, and if you jump that hurdle, keep running?
    That's a wildly unsubstantiated statement?

Windows 10 like any other OS, has had it's fair share of issues. These however, have more to do with how users of the system perceive things to be done versus how Microsoft view it... by that I mean they don't always get it right but this is the whole point behind R&D. You make something and then over time it becomes better.

I will admit that yes sometimes stupid silly things in Windows (and indeed other OS platforms) can result in a very infuriating experience for the end user but you will find in most cases it's driven by something a user has done/not done or doesn't understand rather than poor coding within the OS itself.

There is nothing "wrong" with Windows 10. Next to Windows 98SE, XP and Windows 7, it is a very good product and like any other will always need improving because users and technology evolve.

I have been on this current install of Windows 10 since 2016 and bar a few hiccups with the usual suspects (the larger updates - specifically the 1809 update which is known to be a shocker) it has never really skipped a beat.

The basic principles apply if you want a stable experience...

1) Update regularly or at the very least maintain a "supported" version of the OS.
    2) Install a good quality AV and Firewall product. If you use free apps Caveat Empor...
    3) Keep your applications updated i.e. pay for good apps. If you use free apps Caveat Empor...
    4) Backup up your data - personal data should be backed up at least once or twice a week and your system maybe once every 2 weeks or at least before any major updates are applied. Creating an image of your system disk is also an option here.
    5) Avoid dodgy sites and clicking on unverified links/open emails from senders you do not know--->goes back to good Security apps which has decent mail detection.
    6) Take the time to understand the product, you don't have be a certified engineer, but know your tools and how they work. Jumping up and down and whining never got anyone anywhere so best to use that energy for something more productive. There is nothing wrong with jumping to Linux or even MacOS but choosing that as your first course of action suggests more that you have little patience and an unwillingness to figure things out rather than Windows being a crappy product which it is not.

Asus PRIME Z370-P
    Core i7-8700K @ 5.0GHz (XMP)
    Corsair Hydro H100x
    16GB Klevv BOLT X Gaming 3200MHz DDR4
    Intel 660P 512GB M.2 NVMe
    Crucial P1 1TB M.2 NVMe
    Seagate Barracuda 4TB SATA
    GTX 1660 SUPER OC
    Corsair Crystal 460X
    Corsair TX650M

Its not, I did a timed setup last year, took 45 Seconds to setup as I do for all installs, this is basic stuff like turning off notifications, turning off the phone home on apps, general speedup anything else like installing programs is common to ANY OS, there isn't ANY OS that has every single program pre installed that is used by everyone.

Lets take an example, Linux comes with Firefox preinstalled, I know many people who wont use it , they may prefer Opera, Chrome or some other browser for example so that needs to be installed.

As for other adjustments (personal adjustments or requirements) like I've previously mentioned everything is still there and can be changed exactly the same way as every other OS.

There's a couple of programs inbuilt in W10 that if you used it, I bet you would never use that I use everyday.

Just adding to above, One program use a LOT is Quick Assist ( remote desktop). Its built into every version of W10, compared to others is completely idiot proof to use, hell I've spoken to people on the phone who all they ever do on their computers is use a browser, and even they can open it with a couple of simple instructions.

No Need to download any programs look for or give hard to find settings /details, or go hunting for others that may be inbuilt.