Default Spider Feast, wow

I never knew Daddy Long Legs spiders could eat so much.
    I have seen them chase and catch ants....

We have heaps in the shed, and I noticed one fairly large one, she caught a preying mantis a couple of days ago. So I watched. It was caught by 2 legs first, she'd go down and quickly add a bit more web, then jump back up, this went on for some time, the next time I went out she had tangled all it;'s legs and had bitten it.
    She was sucking away, and it wasn't dead, it' lower body would twitch every now and then.
    Later that night I had another peak and she was still eating!

She'd drained the top part of it's body - the thorax I guess, and was starting on the lower bit.

Next day, still going!! It's own abdomen had gone a kind of greenish grey...I guess from all that preying mantis juice.

It finally decided it had had enough and pulled it loose and dropped it. I found the much thinner remians on the floor.
    It's now sitting, quietly digesting I guess.

I was sure it was going to pop......never seen a fat one like that before.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0980.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	10194Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0981.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	10195

Not the best pictures, but yes it is the SAME spider. It was on the wall to begin with, now it's gone up on the roof and is sitting on one of the beams.
    Ex-pctek

Default Re: Spider Feast, wow

Be very afraid

Ken

I remember reading years ago, that the Daddy Long legs has one of the most venomous bites of all NZ spiders.

The only problem is, it's fangs are too small to inject it into humans
    I worked for everything I have. Most successful people have done the same thing.
    No, you aren't "entitled" to it. Too damn bad, Get it the way I did.
    WORK FOR IT.

There is an often-repeated urban myth that states Ďthe daddy longlegs is the most poisonous spider in the world, but it canít bite you because its fangs are too smallí.

There is no evidence to support this story. First, there is no reason to believe the venom is particularly dangerous to people. Second, while the fangs are indeed very small and would have difficulty biting through human skin, there are anecdotal cases of bites, none of which proved fatal.

The myth may have its origins in reported observations of these spiders killing and eating the decidedly dangerous Australian redback spider - the assumption being that if daddy longlegs are able to kill deadly spiders they themselves must be highly lethal. This is not true, and the daddy longlegsí ability to overcome large or dangerous prey is due to its strategy of ensnaring prey by throwing silk at it from a safe distance.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    There is an often-repeated urban myth that states ‘the daddy longlegs is the most poisonous spider in the world, but it can’t bite you because its fangs are too small’.

There is no evidence to support this story. First, there is no reason to believe the venom is particularly dangerous to people. Second, while the fangs are indeed very small and would have difficulty biting through human skin, there are anecdotal cases of bites, none of which proved fatal.

The myth may have its origins in reported observations of these spiders killing and eating the decidedly dangerous Australian redback spider - the assumption being that if daddy longlegs are able to kill deadly spiders they themselves must be highly lethal. This is not true, and the daddy longlegs’ ability to overcome large or dangerous prey is due to its strategy of ensnaring prey by throwing silk at it from a safe distance.
    Where's your proof?

Got a reference?

VoidMaster

Daddy Longlegs: Arachnids, but Not Spiders:

https://www.thoughtco.com/is-a-daddy...or-not-1968493
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

They are good for clearing out the dreaded "white tail" spider as well.

lurking.

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post
    Daddy Longlegs: Arachnids, but Not Spiders:

https://www.thoughtco.com/is-a-daddy...or-not-1968493
    Well, to be correct then:

Scientific name: Pholcus phalangioides

These spiders have small slender bodies with very long legs. They usually sit upside down in their delicate but rather messy webs, which are typically constructed indoors in out-of-the-way spots such as ceiling corners and behind furniture. They also like living in basements and cellars, and this has led to them being named cellar spiders in some parts of the world.

This is very much the case in New Zealand, and they are thought to have arrived here with European settlement.

The common name "daddy long-legs" is used for several species, especially Pholcus phalangioides, but is also the common name for several other arthropod groups, including harvestmen, which are arachnids but not spiders, and crane flies.

It for sure has a web and for sure came down and added extra bits of silk to the preying mantis legs to tangle it up more.
    I watched it do it.

So ok, not a daddy long legs then, a Pholcus.
    Ex-pctek

Senior

https://blog.tepapa.govt.nz/2018/02/...ailed-spiders/ and from that article - "Itís also worth noting the daddy long-legs is one of the white-tailís more formidable opponents. Thatís because the daddy long-legs is incredibly attuned to whatís happening in its web. No matter how careful it is, itís virtually impossible for the white-tail to avoid being noticed. Once detected, the daddy long-legs will rain sticky silk down on it. In no time at all, the white-tail is wrapped in silk and is being hauled up by the daddy long-legs for lunch." I've quite a few daddy-long legs inside my home just now.

Yeah, me too. I had a problem a year or two back with a lot of money spiders. Someone on this blog suggested I let the daddy long legs proliferate, which I did. Problem solved, except the long legged buggers can prove a bit messy with their toilet habits. But however, the plus side is they do do (pun intended) a great job of keeping other pests at bay.
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen