Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default News flash!! An academic talks logic, talks sense!

Here's a post copied from a political blog I subscribe to.

It's a refreshingly logical response from an academic at one of the world's most prestigious universities, to a student's meme Green standard mantra ...

n an exceptionally brilliant piece of bluff calling, Professor Andrew Parker of St John’s College at Oxford University trolled the idiotic students at one of the UK’s most prestigious educational establishments.

Two students at St John’s College wrote to Andrew Parker, the principal bursar, this week requesting a meeting to discuss the protesters’ demands, which are that the college “declares a climate emergency and immediately divests from fossil fuels”. They say that the college, the richest in Oxford, has £8 million of its £551 million endowment fund invested in BP and Shell.

Professor Parker responded with a provocative offer. “I am not able to arrange any divestment at short notice,” he wrote. “But I can arrange for the gas central heating in college to be switched off with immediate effect. Please let me know if you support this proposal.”

The Times

Oh dear, oh dear, 1.45% of the college endowment fund is invested in evil fossil fuels. HOW DARE YOU?

Apparently the students were not amused with the professor’s response and suggested that he was not taking their concerns seriously enough.

Professor Parker responded to that note saying, “You are right that I am being provocative but I am provoking some clear thinking, I hope. It is all too easy to request others to do things that carry no personal cost to yourself. The question is whether you and others are prepared to make personal sacrifices to achieve the goals of environmental improvement (which I support as a goal).”

How very dare you mock us like that, professor?

So Fergus Green, the organiser of the wider protest, who is studying for a master’s degree in physics and philosophy at Balliol College, got on his high horse and responded, “This is an inappropriate and flippant response by the bursar to what we were hoping would be a mature discussion. It’s January [winter in the UK] and it would be borderline dangerous to switch off the central heating.”

This wonderful exchange beautifully illustrates the shallow thinking of the Gretas of the world, her mates in Extinction Rebellion and the Greens, Labour, NZ First and National politicians here at home.

They are all demanding climate emergencies and zero emissions and zero carbon etc. We even had our very own Captain’s Call. But when it finally bites and the heating and lighting (and powering the internet) is threatened, these very same idiots are going to declare that it is “borderline dangerous.”

And it will be.

It will be catastrophic for millions of people, and someone studying physics at one of the top universities in the world seemingly does not have the intelligence to work this out. Fergus wants a “mature discussion.” Well, come back when you have grown up, Fergus.

This is not about bumper sticker slogans, and the professor’s response illustrates the reality of the situation. Our modern society simply cannot eliminate fossil fuels in the short term (If ever).

There are significant costs to real people associated with turning off the gas (or oil) tap and many people could suffer as a result.

The professor has used the only logical and rational response to those demanding an end to fossil fuels:

You first.
    Ahh, sigh ... if it were only to be that simple

I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

Default Re: News flash!! An academic talks logic, talks sense!

Hucking Fillarious........

Ken

Old guy

He is 100% correct however do not be surprised if the 'Woke' know it alls gang up and get him sacked because they are offended. There will be a lot of academics that agree with him but will be afraid to say so because it could limit their employment prospects.

Yes, the making a noise crowd are short on solutions and big on attention
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    He is 100% correct however do not be surprised if the 'Woke' know it alls gang up and get him sacked because they are offended. There will be a lot of academics that agree with him but will be afraid to say so because it could limit their employment prospects.
    His defence could be where he says "achieve the goals of environmental improvement (which I support as a goal)". He's got himself covered; I guess you don't get to be principal bursar at an Oxon college without having gathered some clues along the way
    Last edited by WalOne; 09-02-2020 at 12:44 PM.
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

The students should be more worried that Corona Virus or the like will get them before any climate change.
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

I'm surprised our resident member on everything hasn't claimed it was his idea in the first place.

"it is all too easy to request others to do things that carry no personal cost to yourself. The question is whether you and others are prepared to make personal sacrifices to achieve the goals of environmental improvement"

All those bleating about making a change wont start by looking at themselves , and how their purchasing & lifestyle decisions are a contradiction to what they are demanding.

Everything is made in China (almost)
    All those Chinese products are made using coal fired power stations .
    So to those going on about climate change, your choice is pretty damn clear. Stop buying stuff made in the countries causing all the issues .
    Stop using your car, stop going on holiday, stop overseas trips , stop buying new cellphones shoes clothes and gadgets.

You forgot stop breeding
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    You forgot stop breeding
    Definitely a problem. China again, upped their breeding to 2 children per family, mind you that's not a bad thing, as who is going to look after an ageing population on a one child limit.

Some countries need to breed to replace those killed in skirmishes, Africa, Syria, etc, could also restrict the number of wives allowed to just one, rofl.

Would dearly love to purchase some good quality New Zealand made clothing again. Could happen with corona going rampant in China, yeah right.

lurking.