Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default The elemental curiosity of attempting to force Te Reo on the populace ...

PEOPLE ARE SLEEPING IN CARS AND DOORWAYS,

YET WE SPEND $600 MILLION ON MAORI LANGUAGE?

Perhaps someone could help me out here …

I have it on various degrees of anecdotal evidence that 99.9% of 5 year olds rock on up to their first day at primary school … and pretty much the whole lot of them can speak English …

Now, I wonder who taught them?? … Whoever did this wasn’t instructed to do it, there was no letter from the ‘Ministry of English’ that arrived in the post on the day of your 0 year-old’s birth …

They weren’t forced into doing it, they weren't compelled to do it … They weren’t coerced or bribed into doing it … they just did it for no apparent reason … and they didn’t charge the taxpayer a cent.

Imagine that - a whole country of such diversity of ethnicity, of South Africans, of Samoans, of Hindus, of Muslims, of English all getting up in the morning, from all parts of New Zealand, none of them in contact with each other, yet all working in tandem, all without any instruction from anyone, nor any involvement of government and not costing the taxpayer a cent …

And the product? Well, it is so astonishing that I am going to say it again … pretty much all five-year olds that rock on up to primary school on their first day of can speak English.

Now, here’s another of those strangest of strange things. English isn’t even an official language of New Zealand. (There are only 2 official languages Maori and sign language.) So it continues to baffle me why all these people would teach their children a language that doesn’t even have any official standing in New Zealand …

Now here’s another odd thing … In 1984, $3 million of taxpayer money was spent on teaching Te Reo … by 2016 it was up to $260 million … and now it is heading towards $600 million … and you know what?? … there are less Maori speakers now than there were in 1984.

So now, here’s my point. Here we are in a country where people are sleeping in cars and in doorways … and we spend 600 million on Te Reo …

I'm no builder, but I reckon you could build a cheap house for about $250,000. For 600 million you could build 2,400 homes …

5 people in each home = 12,000 people housed … EVERY BLOODY YEAR !!!!

In what right and just society do we allow this insanity to prevail ???

- received recently in an email. It did not say who the author was, but it's very true!
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Default Re: The elemental curiosity of attempting to force Te Reo on the populace ...

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    … there are less Maori speakers now than there were in 1984.
    Where's the stats? Another anti-maori rant then?
    An utterly stupid thing to say, and actually some kids can't speak english.

There was an asian girl at my GDs school back when she was 5, and she had to learn there.

GD (at primary) was taught maori and Mandarin.
    I don't see any rants about forcing kids to learn Mandarin though?

English might not be official but it has been the main language for ages, many maori couldn't speak their language because it was forbidden for so long.

Enough with the racist stuff.
    Ex-pctek

Default Re: The elemental curiosity of attempting to force Te Reo on the populace ...

Long may all this Political Correctness bullshit continue here on pressf1

I worked for everything I have. Most successful people have done the same thing.
    No, you aren't "entitled" to it. Too damn bad, Get it the way I did.
    WORK FOR IT.

I have no desire to learn a stone age language and I forbid my children from taking it at school as an option. Any exaggerated pronunciation of this language is forbidden in my home. Wanganui is Wanganui, Whangarei is not pronounced with a Fong its Wonga.
    I watch Crime Watch on TV, protestors near Auckland airfield and the work ethics of the blacks at my work and know I am right about this language.
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    I don't see any rants about forcing kids to learn Mandarin though?
    No you won't because that's a useful language. It has a past, present and more importantly, a future.

Leave school and go to work overseas and travel. What will help you more? Maori or Mandarin?

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Where's the stats? Another anti-maori rant then?
    An utterly stupid thing to say, and actually some kids can't speak english.
    Roscoe makes some very valid points.

HERE is a link, with a number of links within, which may satisfy your statistics requirements.

The bottom line is there are a number of Maori Languages. Each Iwi has a different one, so which one is going to be taught?

Then there is the small matter of nobody else in the world being able to speak Maori in a useful manner so the whole thing is a total waste of money.

On the matter of housing take a look at THIS.

I rate it as the nicest place I’ve ever been to. It’s an example of current rental prices in Hervey Bay (pronounced Harvey Bay) Australia.

I’m afraid our Government hasn’t got a clue.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Quote Originally Posted by allblack View Post
    Leave school and go to work overseas and travel. What will help you more? Maori or Mandarin?
    Exactly. Maori is not spoken overseas except for a few believers in Sydney. Learning any other language is an advantage but why would you want to learn maori? Only if you want to speak to another maori and they can speak English anyway. So of what possible use can it be?
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    On the matter of housing take a look at THIS.

I rate it as the nicest place I’ve ever been to. It’s an example of current rental prices in Hervey Bay (pronounced Harvey Bay) Australia.
    That surprised me - I had no idea rentals over there were so cheap.

If it wasn't for the heat, spiders, snakes, reptiles, immigrants, fires, Australians, drought I'd go live there.

Quote Originally Posted by allblack View Post
    That surprised me - I had no idea rentals over there were so cheap.
    Just as well I didn’t mention petrol, average about $1:40 a Litre and food about half price.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post

YET WE SPEND $600 MILLION ON MAORI LANGUAGE?

Now here’s another odd thing … In 1984, $3 million of taxpayer money was spent on teaching Te Reo … by 2016 it was up to $260 million … and now it is heading towards $600 million … and you know what?? … there are less Maori speakers now than there were in 1984.

So now, here’s my point. Here we are in a country where people are sleeping in cars and in doorways … and we spend 600 million on Te Reo …

I'm no builder, but I reckon you could build a cheap house for about $250,000. For 600 million you could build 2,400 homes …

5 people in each home = 12,000 people housed … EVERY BLOODY YEAR !!!!

In what right and just society do we allow this insanity to prevail ???

- received recently in an email. It did not say who the author was, but it's very true!
    One has to wonder who or where this money is going to?

Surely they don't need $600 million. Typical government wasting money on unnecessary crap like this.

As Roscoe say's though, why not build more homes with that money instead of wasting it on a dying language.