Question New laptop for school and gaming - advice please

Hi all

my newphew is looking at a new laptop for school and gaming.

do you have any recommendations please

He has found this but I donít know enough to say good or not.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/conten...l/NH.Q50AA.001

thank you.

Default Re: New laptop for school and gaming - advice please

Gaming....get a desktop.

It's upgradable, GPUs can be swapped out and kept up to date, more grunt than a laptop.

I'm not a fan of Acer, crap motherboards usually, don't know about this one, can't find the manufacturer of the board.
    Ex-pctek

The specs are very nice and it should game very well. More than I'd spend on a nephew but that's your call.
    Can't comment on the brand, haven't had much to do with it.

Personally I like the Asus Tuf laptops, and the 505D is a very good deal for some modest gaming on a budget, here's a review https://pokde.net/review/asus-tuf-gaming-fx505d-review/
    It's not as good as the one you linked, by quite a bit, but it does game quite well and is hard to beat for the price https://www.amazon.com/R5-3550H-Proc...18&s=pc&sr=1-2

I agree with Piroska, desktop gaming is just better. But if you can only have one PC and need to carry it around then that's not an option.
    I have the Asus I mentioned but it's a backup to my main PC for gaming and doesn't need to do everything.

Just don't get anything with integrated intel graphics, for gaming you need a dedicated GPU.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

"for school"

chances are its going to have a hard life and be worth nothing(relatively) in a few years
    So get something cheap .

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Gaming....get a desktop.

It's upgradable, GPUs can be swapped out and kept up to date, more grunt than a laptop.

I'm not a fan of Acer, crap motherboards usually, don't know about this one, can't find the manufacturer of the board.
    Great point... he is probably better off getting a desktop. The current Ryzen CPU offerings are a much more attractive option as well. You could probably get a Ryzen based system with a 2080 series card for the same price (probably about $100 or so more).

I do get the point of having a portable solution that allows him to game and do uni work BUT the "gaming" capability will have a far shorter life span than the unit's ability to be valid for uni work especially with both nVidia and AMD flooding the market with cards that are filling the gaps between their current "mainstream" GPU's. nVidia's "main selling point" for their RTX cards is that they have Ray Tracing... which is not widely used in games right now so paying for a feature that is essentially "dormant" in most game titles is a bit "meh" and not worth the additional expense.

My suggestion would be get a desktop; something Ryzen 5 or 7 based, 16GB of 3200Mhz memory and a 16xx GPU... you could go with a 2060 card but given the current price to performance ratio that's a hard sell.

Anything higher than a 2060 for nVidia or a 5700 for AMD is just not worth it right now, so I'd spend more money on a decent CPU, motherboard and a high refresh rate monitor (1080p, 144hz... don't bother with 1440p unless you're going with a 2080Ti) and skimp on the GPU for now then upgrade the GPU in the next 12 months assuming that Team Green and Red actually put out a product line that is worthy of an upgrade? Worst case scenario is that when their new product lines drop the 20x0/5x00 series prices will get to sub $400-500 which would make them a far more palatable buy compared to what they are now.

Ryzen 5 5600X
    Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wi-fi
    Corsair Hydro H100x
    32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz
    WD 512GB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    WD 1TB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3070 Ti Master
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
    Corsair RMx 850W

Thanks to all.