Default Office 365 Home Fails again

Below is a post from me tonight on Microsoft Community.

My first reply asked if I first ran the Offline Quick Repair. (of course I did otherwise why would I spend all the time on the Online Repair/Reinstall Office.
    Based on reading many of the MS forum members comments on multiple topics I wonder at times whether some people posting answers" actually read the questions submitted.
    Some contributors do give very valid suggestions so it is worthwhile to remain a member.

Having moaned above has any PC World Forum member experienced my problem below?.

Office 365 Home Fails again
    I am Win 10 64 Bit Version 1909 and take all updates routinely. I have used Office 365 Home for several years initially on Windows 7 then with Windows 10.
    Last night all my Office 365 programmes worked normally.
    This morning none would open and I got the usual types of error message.
    Error 0o000012f appeared on all.
    Then I would get error messages such as cannot find file C:\Program files (x86) Microsoft Office\root\Office16\ EXCEL.EXE -WinWord.exe , OUTLOOK.EXE etc yet all those files showed up in those places.
    When I clicked on such EXE file I got various Error messages such as " not recognised by Win 10" (which is nonsense) or File may be corrupted.
    I fail to see how such files could all be corrupted when the PC was turned off overnight.
    In desperation I took the 2 latest Optional Updates this afternoon for Win 10 64 bit Version 1909 in the hope maybe they would fix matters -no luck.
    I had to resort once again to Online Reinstall (through Apps and Features) to get Office 365 working again.
    A lot of lost non-productive and stressful time.
    Has anyone else experienced this 0o000012f error in the last few days?
    NOTE Office 365 Home is not listed in the Tab options below -merely Office 365 Admins which is aimed at workplaces with multiple pcs , That is why I was forced to select More Office apps

Default Re: Office 365 Home Fails again

Haven't actually seen the exact error, BUT when changing the search wording in Google, saw the following reply from a few years back, looks similar to yours, worth a try, MAY or MAYNOT fix it, compare to the problem he found. If it works in Excel, you may need to do it for other apps a swell.

Scroll down to the user MilesCudmore https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware-winpc/excel-not-recognized-as-an-app-in-windows-10
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Thanks for the tip Wainui.
    I read the Qs and As .
    I'll save the suggestions for future checking.
    I can automatically open xls files using EXCEL 365
    XERO still exports to Excel in xls format.

Last I did try the sfc suggestion (running as full Administrator rather than as myself) and this time it stated it did find some corrupted files.
    It showed where to look at the log.
    windir\\Logs\CBS\CBS.log
    it also made reference to /offlogfile.Flag

I tried searching for windir using Explorer but could not find it.
    I also checked the Folder Logs but that was Predetermined stuff frm MS

How can I find windir etc so that "hopefully" I can see what files were fixed from showing as corrupted?

Its in the C drive, Windows\Logs\CBS

OR you can press the Windows key +R and paste in the following C:\Windows\Logs\CBS Press OK And it will open the Folder:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Logs.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	10171

Thanks Wainui.
    I have never been a DOS person ( now with benefit of hindsight I can interpret windir as C:\Windows.)
    Decades ago I was given a Floppy Disk with PCTools which put DOS into English language. As a result CMD Run and being asked o go cd dir etc is still very much guesswork for me.
    As I expected the Log file was largely meaningless to me (I'm sure you would have recognised the terms) but was relieved to see in a few places "corrupted -repaired"
    Hopefully the Office 365 crash does not recur.
    Thanks again

Personally I'd rather use command Prompts, you have a lot more control over what can be done, and it keeps the brain working When using DISM you really have to use commands, there are programs that will do the same things ( or similar) but never use them.

As for the Office, there are other logs as well, the good old eventviewer can be very helpful.

If you wanted to have a look follow these instructions, Office events will be there, or should be. https://www.howtogeek.com/123646/htg...ou-can-use-it/ The Event Viewer is a good place to check out drive errors sometimes, if you see "Disk" in the Log - its a good chance theres a HDD problem.

Beats me why anyone pays big money for Microsoft software, when there are a number of Office type programs available for free! Libre Office will do anything, and more, that Microsoft Office does, and there are a number of others. There is also 'Google Documents' & 'Google Sheets" which I use from choice. Simple, and multi format, and safe.

Quote Originally Posted by mzee View Post
    Beats me why anyone pays big money for Microsoft software, when there are a number of Office type programs available for free! Libre Office will do anything, and more, that Microsoft Office does, and there are a number of others. There is also 'Google Documents' & 'Google Sheets" which I use from choice. Simple, and multi format, and safe.
    Its hardly big money spread across 5 years for a retail version of Office .

MS Office is the industry standard , and pretty much standard across most businesses
    It works better than the free versions. Outlook is better than free email alternatives (Ive tried to find something as good) .
    In the past Ive had issues with Word macro's and XLS spreadsheets not working properly on the Free Versions .
    Most people are used to MS Office , they use it at work so want to use it at home . They have often used it for 10 years or more .

Some free versions just confuse many home users .

Would I pay $300+ for MS Office for my home PC if I didnt already have it , probably not , given I hardly ever use it at home .

As 1101 Posted -- And its industry standard for compatibility reasons, seen many times other free ones simply don't cut it or work as well.

Example: I have a job sheet, designed on Office 97, work perfectly with every version Of MS Office, but try it on Libre and its WTF !! looks nothing like its original

It does quite a few more things that Others don't, one being Collaborate online if yo u wish to, all inbuilt, where as the free ones you have to have servers or a lot of mucking about setting them up.

As for cost -- Peanuts really, 1 Year Sub, $165 - Split that over NOW 6 users = $27.50 / year for what is the Professional edition.