Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spark landline

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Spark landline

A couple of months ago a family member of mine decided to upgrade their internet plan to 4G wireless. They got a new Huawei router model B618S-65d. At the time they decided they didn't want the landline anymore so did away with it. A month went by and they decided they wanted their landline back. So they got their landline back but couldn't get it to work through the copper lines. So we ended up connecting the phone to the router and had landline again.

So the question is, can we still plug the phone into the old copper lines or do we need to do it from the router? Phone is connected to a WAN/LAN port on the back of the router.

Old guy

Default Re: Spark landline

Quote Originally Posted by toyota View Post
    So the question is, can we still plug the phone into the old copper lines or do we need to do it from the router? Phone is connected to a WAN/LAN port on the back of the router.
    I believe the answer to your question is No. The copper wire needs to be connected from your end back through to the exchange which has to be programmed to handle the connection (The exchange is effectively just a big computer designed and programed to handle switching between connections).
    when your original copper wire connection was given up it would have been removed, effectively, from the exchange end as well as at your end. So although you could hook it up at your end it will not work.
    In any event the copper wire system is on the way out and it will not be long before it is not used in NZ at all. Your landline is programmed to work through your router as it is now so stick with that unless you wish to spend a lot of time and money getting the copper recommissioned if they will even contemplate doing that for you.

My phone cable that is wired throughout the house is connected to the modem/router (via a line-filter).
    The copper from the street was cut at the time Fibre arrived in the house.
    Phones work fine, when the power is on.

If the copper line is still there, you can request your phone connection is removed from viop (voice over internet protocol - through the router) and re-configured through the old POTS line (Post Office Telephone System) jack plug in the wall

I have done this twice over the last few years (changed ISP) and tho they will try and "dissuade" you, they will do it if pressed to.

I hate not having a phone when the power goes down, and made that very clear to them.

If your copper line has been removed (not likely, unless the whole "loop" has been) then you stuffed basically

You need to request your ISP for this
    Last edited by bevy121; 27-01-2020 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bevy121 View Post
    If the copper line is still there, you can request your phone connection is removed from viop (voice over internet protocol - through the router) and re-configured through the old POTS line (Post Office Telephone System) jack plug in the wall

I have done this twice over the last few years (changed ISP) and tho they will try and "dissuade" you, they will do it if pressed to.

I hate not having a phone when the power goes down, and made that very clear to them.

If your copper line has been removed (not likely, unless the whole "loop" has been) then you stuffed basically

You need to request your ISP for this
    POTS = Plane Old Telephone System.
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

So just have it run via the wireless connection as before, why worry about copper at all?
    Ex-pctek

Your phone needs a connection to the router (actually the fibre box unit), then it works as before.
    This is what we had to do here.
    Don't be fooled by the old copper circuit reinstatement, you may end up paying for both services and you will certainly incur penalties for the equipment they provided.

Read that as phone network.

You'll pay approx $40 a month more to have a phone landline .
    Thats what they will charge you for the old copper wire line .

Thats why my slow old ADSL internet is still so expensive compared to faster Fibre . I have to pay for the copper wire connection .

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    You'll pay approx $40 a month more to have a phone landline .
    Thats what they will charge you for the old copper wire line .

Thats why my slow old ADSL internet is still so expensive compared to faster Fibre . I have to pay for the copper wire connection .
    I pay $10 month extra for a Spark landline with Spark VDSL unlimited.
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company