Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Default Re: The elemental curiosity of attempting to force Te Reo on the populace ...

Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    And Peter Williams on Magic Talk is still pushing a name change to Aoteororwer.

I just turn him off as soon as he comes on
    These people have gone over to the otherside.
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

Default Re: The elemental curiosity of attempting to force Te Reo on the populace ...

Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    And Peter Williams on Magic Talk is still pushing a name change to Aoteororwer.

I just turn him off as soon as he comes on
    Is this the same station with Sean Plunkett before 4pm? He had me in tears earlier this week listening to his comments.

I drive home between 3.30 and 4 and he's my new go-to.

Quote Originally Posted by allblack View Post
    Is this the same station with Sean Plunkett before 4pm? He had me in tears earlier this week listening to his comments.

I drive home between 3.30 and 4 and he's my new go-to.
    That was Radio live a few years ago, I used to listen to Willy Jackson and my blood would boil. I used to ring in heaps but was usually cut off and my phone number banned. Didn't matter I just used other peoples mobiles to ring in put a rag over the mic and called myself someone else and their number got banned as well. Sean P was on then he was good as was John Tamahere who didnt push the race cart all the time.
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

Being an official language means we have the RIGHTS to use it at an official level (government agencies). This does not mean we MUST know it.

I never had the choice to learn maori. I was evaluated on my suitability. In my case skin colour (i am white). I even was humiliated for standing up in class when the teacher asked students to stand up if you were maori. I developed a racial hate towards my own heritage and gave up on being maori.

Times have change, people have choices and that is how it should have been from the beginning. A choice. So I do not want it forced on anyone, but if someone does want to learn it, then they should have that option.

People criticising usefulness when in reality it is what that individual can make of it. We should be supportive because there is already enough pressure in this world.

By the way, I now recognise myself as maori and I am also self taught in te reo due to my daughter who has an interest in it and I wanted to be part of her interest and help her.

If there was something I would have wanted to see in schools, it would have been computer programming. I just see how lacking we are in this billion dollar industry. It would have surpassed dairy/agriculture years ago if it was a choice and may have improved our economics. It is sad to see developers leave here because of better opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Kame View Post
    If there was something I would have wanted to see in schools, it would have been computer programming. I just see how lacking we are in this billion dollar industry. It would have surpassed dairy/agriculture years ago if it was a choice and may have improved our economics. It is sad to see developers leave here because of better opportunities.
    ?
    Even in the 1980's computer programming was taught in my school. Taught at a very basic level, but those who wanted to pursue it further could , a basic(ha) knowledge made it easier to learn other computer languages later on.
    Even back then a simple computor that plugged into the TV wasnt that expensive (Sinclair etc )

Quote Originally Posted by allblack View Post
    He had me in tears earlier this week listening to his comments.
    Tears of sorrow, or laughter? (Seriously, what's your meaning?)
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

In 30 years of working one on one with the public (as an optometrist), I can only recall 2 occasions where the client spoke more Maori than English.
    One was a 50 plus woman, the other was a child.
    There's pockets of the far north where schools are only in Reo, and Reo is spoken in the home. These areas often are severely under represented in other scores such as homes with electricity, homes with internet, homes with TV reception, so these kids can grow up with very scant exposure to English. The kids are more likely to be proficient horsemen than they are to be literate.

I have to admit, my heart sinks when I imagine a kid getting their science education in Reo. Science to me has been almost a second language, and has been highly valuable to my knowledge base. I can't help but think knowing the Reo for Iron, Calcium, Aluminium, Helium, but not the modern Anglo equivalents is near to useless at best.

One more observation, there were magnitudes more people who would read the letter chart in the radio comms Tango, Lima Foxtrot style than there were ever attempts at saying it in Reo.

... .... .. _ dare I suggest that World wide there would be more people who can communicate in Morse Code or Semaphore than Reo.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Quote Originally Posted by WalOne View Post
    Tears of sorrow, or laughter? (Seriously, what's your meaning?)
    Laughter. In this woke world he took what could be said to the line without getting an ass-kicking from the BSA.